PDA

View Full Version : I wonder if this has ever happened to anyone else

Dragon Fire
08-15-2002, 08:15 AM
Lately I really want to start training formally again (ie at an actual school, rather than just on my own), but i just can't seem to get fired up about any of the MA schools in my area. No matter what I always seem to find some kind of fault with them. I've used every excuse from not liking the instructor to it being a pain in the a** to find parking. Has anybody had something like this happen to them? Anybody with any idea of how to break myself out of it? If anyone can offer advice, i'd appreciate it.

NPMantis
08-15-2002, 08:41 AM
When I tried to change style to WC at first it looked great then I realised how the grass is not much greener.

Advice to you is to find a school that suits you - it should be perfect. If the parking is bad it can't be that great that you'd leave it for that. Try looking at the unobvious too, there are plenty of good schools you may not even think of, even something like boxing? You nevcer know, when you find the right school you'll know.

Just keep trying.

I am so happy I went back to my old school, the style is exactly what I want, very fast and powerful, plenty of grappling, good sifu and motivation, etc.

You'll find the right one mate.

Regards,

NPMantis

dezhen2001
08-15-2002, 11:19 AM
sometimes the real test in MA is not the training itself, but staying motivated to actually go train.
It's worthwhile looking for a good teacher... i trained in different things for around 13 years before meeting my Sifu and just knew that i wanted to learn from him.

NPM: glad u found what you were looking for, sometimes it's good to look at what u do from a fresh pair of eyes :)

good luck,
david

No_Know
08-15-2002, 06:32 PM
Do you know that hunger to see Martial Arts being done? An almost taste to see it. Feel it. Understand the situations. Empithize with the students doing well and having an off night. Recall the regret at hearing, "Do you do Martial Arts" and thinking if theywere talking to you you could only embarass yourself with I study on my own. And then how they give you a disapproving look and say Oh, that's nice" and smile as they creep away because they think you are pitiful?

If you're not doing it to preserve the Art, type-of-thing, then get stuff from it for you! A sense of belonging, The discipline of taking criticism that will humble you but make you tolerant yet stronger. Take the one with the best/favored legends or stories about it and see if you can live-up to those~.

Now pick one and be on time to your new School. :~>

Matrix
08-15-2002, 07:07 PM
Oh yeah, this has happened to me and I'm willing to bet it's not uncommon at all. I think you need to prioritize the factors that are most important to you and make the best decision possible. Finding small problems like parking are rationalizations that you use to avoid making the decision. For one reason or another you are fearful of making the wrong choice, maybe looking for perfection where in can never be attained. It's classic procrastination - believe me I know from personal experience :).

So focus on the handful of factors that are not willing to compromise on. Things like Sifu, fellow students, and the style itself would be things that come to mind. In my case I found these three elements in abudance. Other things, like class times or parking, may be less attractive but you can work around them.
Don't get stuck in paralysis by analysis. The term "decision" means to cut off other options, so chose one and don't look back.

Best of luck.
Matrix

Shadow Dragon
08-15-2002, 08:21 PM
Dragon Fire.

Yeah, it also happened to me.
Actually very recentlly, I just got down on my style, Kwoon and Sifu.

Not sure what caused it or if it's me or them at fault.
Anyhuh, I started looking for a new Kwoon, and voila I am now at a new kwoon in a style that is similar to my old one but taught in a way I prefer.

So don't give up, sometimes the answer can be right there in front of your nose.

Peace.

LEGEND
08-15-2002, 09:25 PM
Here's something I heard and agree with...go to a skool that scares the shiet out of you!!! That u're afraid to go to...that u cringe going cause u'll get beat up or lose. Then u found your skool.