PDA

View Full Version : Ready for action in Richmond, BC, Canada?

mantis108
08-15-2002, 11:53 AM
If you are up for some tournament fun in 22 September 2002 and you will be in Richmond, BC, Canada around that time. Please check this out.

Traditional Kung Fu Invitational (http://www3.telus.net/TraditionalKungFu/tournament02.html)

Have fun. :)

Mantis108

diego
08-16-2002, 03:38 AM
Tibet Lama - Great Wisdom Fist

Hello this is listed in the traditional section. Any idea how many people competed in this division last year?, and how many lamaist's may show this one?. Any idea what - Great Wisdom Fist
is?.

firepalm
08-16-2002, 10:50 AM
The only club that will have any representation is the Tibet Lama people under Tony & Henry Kam (under GM Tony Jay). However they don't usually send a lot of competitors. No disrespect to Sifu Jack Wong but the tournament, while being an excellent concept, is still a relatively small event. His idea with the forms events is not unlike way things are done in International Wushu events where everyone does the same routine (makes for fairer judging) but it just hasn't caught on with the local Vancouver CMA community (who knows maybe some Temple KF experts will come this year to show their Traditional CMA expertise - couldn't resist :D ).

Diego knowing your interest in Lama you might find this interesting these guys are part of the Yue Shan Society which houses the Tibet Lama group, check out the photo galleries & do a search on Lama Kung Fu www.tigerkungfu.cjb.net/

Prairie
08-16-2002, 01:26 PM
Hey -- this is an excellent concept!

I did have a look at the rules for the event, but still have a question. With respect to the Chen shi taiji form competition, which form will be used for the competition?

It is far too close to the event now for me to plan to travel for it, but I think next year may be a genuine possibility. It would be one heck of a nice holiday to travel to that part of Canada for a tournament.

Bye for Now...

mantis108
08-19-2002, 11:06 AM
I have sent this page to Jack and hopefully he will be able to address your questions shortly.

Too bad that it's a bit late for some of you. Hopefully this event will continue to be an annual event in september in Greater Vancouver, BC.

Hi Firepalm,

Are you related to Tony & Henry Kam? Besides Sifu Tong Jay (Bak Tong), there is also Sifu Fong Shek Han. I haven't seen them for a long time. I wonder how they are doing?

Regards

Mantis108

rubthebuddha
08-19-2002, 02:57 PM
i'm just waiting for the wc events. i can just hear it:

"siu lim tau? the darn it's spelled with an N, dangit!"

i wanna go, as it's just a hop across the border for me, but my brother's getting married in north caroliner the day before.

firepalm
08-19-2002, 03:43 PM
Just know or are aware of most of the active teachers in Vancouver. The Kam's are still with Yue Shan, teaching on the weekends I believe (mostly kids). Fong Shek Hon spends most of his time practicing Tai Chi you can find him up at QE Park pretty regular. Believe he is still active with the Shon Yee society, perhaps not as a teacher though as Stephen Mah (North Shaolin La Hon & Modern Wushu) currently teaches for them.

Good luck with the event!

PS Tiger Balms next year, I hear is going to be bigger then ever before especially for the Wushu (hear rumors of TV coverage).
;)