PDA

View Full Version : Is similar present in other Taiji styles.

Shadow Dragon
08-15-2002, 11:45 PM
Hi All.

Just a quick question for the more experienced TCC Guys.

Do the other styles have something similar to the Chen Taiji:

1.) "Requirements of Character"
2.) "Twenty Prohibitions"
from Chen Family Code of Ethics
3.) "Instructons for studying Taijiquan"
from Chen Xin(only read an exerpt).

It looks like Chen Taiji has strict rules of conduct for their practicioners.

Are similar present in Yang, Wu, Sun, Li and other styles.

Peace.

ddh
08-18-2002, 05:17 PM
The answer to that question lies in that fact that Chen Taiji is a family system. That is to say that it's controlled by family heads. Yang style and the other styles are a bit more diverse. It is or should be understood that the basic model for personal behavior in Chinese thinking lies generally with Kong Si. That hasn't really changed in traditional training whether martial arts or other aspects of development. Kong Si's influence on the mainland is much weaker than in other more traditional settings. Even though Kong Si has been rehabilited as of late, his legecy has little to do with the main stream thinking of modern China.
Those who developed Taiji thinking in the latter 1800s were intellectuals and were concentrating more on the weaknesses of China as a state. Hence, the schools that developed out of that period were attempting to create strong Chinese people who could stand up to foreign invaders.
Most of the traditional teachers who come from Taiwan, Hong Kong or any of the other Chinese communities encourage their students to study Chinese philosophy and history to get in touch with the deeper aspects of the mores of the culture. This applies to Chinese students as well as non-chinese students. This is true of my teacher's school. I think you see less of this today, especially among those schools that solely concentrate on combat.
One of the things I keep in mind on this subject is that the more rules you have to post on personal behavior, the less reliance there is on traditional philosophy to enforce good behavioral patterns. In the end, the art looses it's roots and becomes more shallow. I'm not suggesting that people need to follow Kong Si but if you study this art you need to be aware that it's philosophy is bound up deeply in Taoist thinking. You can, and some people do, spend your whole life studying the Tao and never reach an end to self development or realization. This a major aspect of developing good Taiji. The good intentioned and well rounded person needs few rules but it's hard to imagine that well-roundedness has a future as a strong emphasis in a techno society.:D

Shadow Dragon
08-18-2002, 06:13 PM
ddh.

Thanks, for your Post. It cleared a few things up.

So far what I have read about those rules, most appear basic guidelines and can be found in many different Cultures and Societies.

Peace.