PDA

View Full Version : Kung-Fu in London

siu-lam
08-16-2002, 03:53 AM
Hi, :)

I would like to knew if somebody here have any link to a KF school in London. :cool:

And if somebody have been training there, was it good/bad ect..

Please help me with this matter :rolleyes:

Ben Gash
08-17-2002, 01:57 AM
Surely you're having a laugh. There's so much kung fu in London it's hard to know where to begin. You can't move without tripping over a Wing Chun School. Then there's Chow Gar mantis, Fukien Crane, Bak Mei, Lung Ying, Ngo Cho, Hung Kuen, Nan Sil Lum, Jow Gar, Lau gar, Northern Shaolin, Chin Woo Shaolin, Songshan Shaolin, Mizhong, White Crane and sport wushu. Within an hours drive of London there's eagle claw, Tong Bei, Hop Gar, Baji and various other cool styles.
The best place to start is probably the BCCMA website, and try and get hold of a copy of Combat magazine.

Colin
08-22-2002, 08:30 AM
True! lol..........

joedoe
08-22-2002, 05:13 PM
Do you know any of the Ngo Cho practitioners in London? Just curious because I think they are the same school as the one I attend.

TaoBoy
08-22-2002, 05:27 PM
www.mantis.org.uk

GOLDEN ARMOR
08-23-2002, 08:48 AM
joedoe,

I didn't know there is a 5 Ancestor school in Sydney. Where in Sydney?

Colin
08-24-2002, 06:38 AM
http://www.laugar.org.uk

Kristoffer
08-28-2002, 04:56 AM
i have heard of a Pakua school with high reputation. Can't recall it's name though...What's style are you interested in?

Ben Gash
08-28-2002, 03:14 PM
Joedoe, Kim Han teaches in London. He was one of Chee Kim Thong's students. Yap Leong was also one of Chee Kim Thong's Students, but he moestly teaches Sil Lum these days.

Pakmei
09-04-2002, 06:59 AM
If you want to learn the Ngo Cho then best go to Kim Han or any of his his students like Mark Batts, Roy Pink & Ralph Ellis.

Yap Leong, although he was taught by Chee Kim Thong, he was never given permission to teach the Ngo Cho system.

There are better teachers than Yap Leong in London.
Personally speaking I think he is more interested in making money than actually teaching traditional Kung Fu.

samchien
09-06-2002, 08:53 PM
I wasn't aware that Mark Batt was teaching ngo cho. The last I heard he was in japan. Is this true?
Have they decided on who will be the next grandmaster?

HardWork8
07-05-2007, 10:48 AM
There are better teachers than Yap Leong in London.
Personally speaking I think he is more interested in making money than actually teaching traditional Kung Fu.

I believe that you should not make that kind of comment about a well respected sifu such as Yap Leong. He is one of the few REAL kung fu sifus who actually teachs authentic kung fu, here in London, and should be shown the proper respect. Desrespecting a sifu who has reached Yap Leong's level of expertise in kung fu does not reflect well on your character.

Making cheap comments behind his back, in a public forum - when he is not standing infront of you - is WRONG.

Personal comments such as the ones above should not be made in public forums, it shows weakness and does not reflect well on your own level, nor your understanding of Kung Fu.

ronro
07-05-2007, 11:00 AM
what are the options for pak mei in London?

Wong Ying Home
07-05-2007, 12:27 PM
The only one I know to reccomend is Dave Stevens SiFu
www.pakmei-uk.com

He was Tony Tang SiFu's student and is well respected by the Hong Kong Bak Mei family.

You also have Paul Whitrod SiFu for Chow Gar

Jim Uglow SiFu for Hung Gar

Alex Kozma's organistaion for Hsing Yi etc

Hope that helps

Ben Gash
07-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Hardwork8, PLEASE look at the dates on a thread before you post on a 5 year old discussion :rolleyes:

David Jamieson
07-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Maybe he's been steaming about that for 5 years and then ran over when he gathered the courage and with his very first post, decides to use it to chastise an absolute stranger.

loverly. lol
This place is great!

Fu-Pau
07-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Ben,

Years ago (as it turns out), in your first post in this thread, you referred to Jow Ga in London. Do you know if the Jow Ga school is still there, and if so if it has a web site?

Cheers

Fu-Pau

Ben Gash
07-06-2007, 01:03 AM
http://freespace.virgin.net/ninja.dude/profiles.htm

Fu-Pau
07-06-2007, 01:41 AM
cheers mate :)

ronro
07-07-2007, 03:47 AM
Anyone know anything about this Pak Mei school?

http://chinatown.bulldoghome.com/pages/chinatown_bulldoghome_com/ukpakmei.htm

Shaolin Fist
07-09-2007, 02:43 AM
What's 5 years if someone is still teaching ? Called ya mom a whor* 5 years ago what does it matter :eek: Oh Just forget i ever said it !

Yawnnnnnnnn why do we have to repeat the obvious ......doesn't take courage to posts but it does to go stand infront of someones face and say the same thing ! Its not his fault he had better things to do 5 years ago than sit and post on KFO !

Anyway whilst we are grave digging.........how does a pak mei guy know about 5-Ancestor polictics ? nothing else to gossip about ?

Or is it that Yap Leong ended up chairman of Chinatown Kung Fu association ahead of Tan Cho Tak ?

Oh Sh*t spreading gossip again :D

Ben Gash
07-09-2007, 03:16 AM
However, replying to someone who hasn't been on this forum for over a year IS somewhat pointless, and what has it really achieved? It's just refreshed the idea in people's mind that some people think poorly of Yap Leong. This is why I seldom respond to criticism of my own Masters.

Mano Mano
07-09-2007, 12:18 PM
It’s a pity Bob Stannells Jow Gar Sifu Leung Kai Chi isn’t teaching anymore, most kung fu Sifu’s, both self proclaimed masters and traditional don’t come anywhere near him, even Bob Stannells pales in comparison. If I hadn’t learned CLF from my sifu Edmund Ng, Sifu Leung Kai Chi would have been my other choice.

Shaolin Fist
07-10-2007, 09:42 AM
There will always be someone who thinks poorly of someone else it happens all the time, its a free country so let them speak........some thought poorly of Hollyfield till he knocked down Tyson.

I just dont like one sided threads however ancient.

Wouldn't it be great if we could all diss people in public and have a cut off date of 5 years to make it invalid !

I'm pretty sure Pak Mei got Hardwork8 message even if he doesn't post here anymore, these type of people live their lives through forums otherwise how else can he express himself. Its just that he's just too embarrassed to respond......................

HardWork8
07-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Hardwork8, PLEASE look at the dates on a thread before you post on a 5 year old discussion :rolleyes:

It didn't stop you from posting on it just now did it?

Anyway, what he did was wrong and was a mistake, wether it was 5 years ago or 25 years ago, it is irrelevant.

HardWork8
07-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Maybe he's been steaming about that for 5 years and then ran over when he gathered the courage and with his very first post, decides to use it to chastise an absolute stranger.

loverly. lol
This place is great!

I am suprised that a kung fu "sifu" such as yourself has not seen the relevance and the point behind my initial post.

Wether the person in question is an absolute stranger or my best friend is irrelevant. He should not have made those comments about a well respected sifu such as Yap Leong behind his back and in a public forum,of all places.

Is that so difficult to grasp?

Maybe you should gather the "courage" to admit that Pakmei's comments were uncalled for.

HardWork8
07-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Yawnnnnnnnn why do we have to repeat the obvious ......doesn't take courage to posts but it does to go stand infront of someones face and say the same thing !

That is the point. Why say something like that in a public forum where he would influence other people's opinion of Yap Leong. That shows malice and it is not right.

Its not his fault he had better things to do 5 years ago than sit and post on KFO !

I did have better things to do 5 years ago :). Also, I never really checked out the forums in this site.

HardWork8
07-11-2007, 11:29 AM
However, replying to someone who hasn't been on this forum for over a year IS somewhat pointless, and what has it really achieved? It's just refreshed the idea in people's mind that some people think poorly of Yap Leong.

They can "think" what they want. Sometimes what one "thinks" is more of a refection on one's own level and understanding of kung fu, and perhaps his own insecurities,then a refection of his intended victim's abilities.

However, these "thinkers" should keep defamatory (I hope that is the right word), comments to themselves and not make public statements on a person's character when that person is not there to respond or to prove them wrong. That is all I am saying.

The time span of the event is irrelevant, as the comments that were made are still there for all to see and will presumably be there for a long time (as I am sure was intended by Pakmei).

David Jamieson
07-11-2007, 03:26 PM
I am suprised that a kung fu "sifu" such as yourself has not seen the relevance and the point behind my initial post.

Wether the person in question is an absolute stranger or my best friend is irrelevant. He should not have made those comments about a well respected sifu such as Yap Leong behind his back and in a public forum,of all places.

Maybe you should gather the "courage" to admit that Pakmei's comments were uncalled for.

wow, im a sifu?

anyway, here's my point. You have resureected what was otherwise forgotten and doubled the insult to your sifu by dredging it all up again.

there is a saying.

"let sleeping dogs lie" (or they might bight you in the ass)

there is another saying

"only a fool takes heed of the words of another fool"

and finally

"often it is better to remain silent and thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and confirm it"

no offense, but you've done it to yourself. Your anger and protectionist attitude is what has caused this new mud to dull what could of otherwise been clearer water.

:)

HardWork8
07-14-2007, 01:22 PM
wow, im a sifu?

Right now, I don't know what you are.

anyway, here's my point. You have resureected what was otherwise forgotten and doubled the insult to your sifu by dredging it all up again.

I did not resurrect anything. The discussion may have been "dead" but the offending comments were very much "alive" and staring me in the face when I first entered the thread. These comments will be there probably forever, not burried hidden somewhere, but here on the net for all to see and presumably form an opinion on a well respected sifu.

there is a saying.

"let sleeping dogs lie" (or they might bight you in the ass)

Where I come from (and it is not where you think), we put those type of dogs to "sleep" before they can do any biting at all.

"only a fool takes heed of the words of another fool"

Here is another saying, " Only a fool and a coward stands by and lets liars spread their venom."

"often it is better to remain silent and thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and confirm it"

If I were you I would follow the advice given in that last quote.

My initial post did not have anything to do with you, I made points that were justified in trying to point out the errors in Pakmei making those comments,yet you felt the need to make a provactive post aimed at me.

no offense, but you've done it to yourself. Your anger and protectionist attitude is what has caused this new mud to dull what could of otherwise been clearer water.

Here is another saying, "burrying your head in the sand every time that you see injustice will one day cause you to drown in those "clear waters" that you so yearn for"

David Jamieson
07-14-2007, 08:32 PM
so, you're a hothead with bitter intentions to dig up an old post and start going on about it anonymously in an internet forum and you actually think people will care about your opinion.

listen buddy, if you want even one shred of any type of credibility in what you have to say then use your real name and make a point that is worth making.

Yeah, you don't know me, and I don't know you, so what.

I had better watch what I'm saying? What are you? Some kind of commie or something? Thought police?

whatever dude, if the guy thinks the other guy sucks, then taht's between them, and you and your internet police patrol mentality is just gonna have to suck it up, then grow up, then get a life.

if you don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen.

and now, over to you for the last word because i got a feeling you're not mature or reasonable enough to go when the goings good.

L8r. :)

HardWork8
07-15-2007, 09:17 AM
so, you're a hothead with bitter intentions to dig up an old post and start going on about it anonymously in an internet forum and you actually think people will care about your opinion.

As I kindly pointed out before, I did not "dig up" anything. The offending comments are there for all to see. By the way, Pakmei's post was the one with "bitter intentions" not mine.

listen buddy,

I am not your "buddy". Thank You.

if you want even one shred of any type of credibility in what you have to say then use your real name and make a point that is worth making.

You still don't get it do you. The initial post made by Pakmei was offensive and wrong. Wether I give you my name or don't ; wether I drop dead tomorrow or not; even if I had not made thoughts on the subject known, what was posted by Pakmei was WRONG. And you yourself have lost any shred of credibility by not acknowledging that those type of comments should not be made in a public forum where a person is not there to defend themselves.

Yeah, you don't know me,

I will be thankful for that for the rest of my life!

and I don't know you, so what.

Good for you.

I had better watch what I'm saying? What are you? Some kind of commie or something? Thought police?

I think that you are over-reacting and exagerating the situation. I didn't know that people still referred to each others as "commies". You are a little upset. This happens a lot to simple minds you see. You provoke a situation and then complain when you get a, what I believe is referred to here in the UK as a bollocking.
I believe you should sit down and try some kung fu meditation to relax your mind (if you can locate it that is).

whatever dude,

"dude"??????

if the guy thinks the other guy sucks, then taht's between them,

Exactly! it is between them and a public internet forum is not a place for negative comments made by one at the expense of the other.

and you and your internet police patrol mentality is just gonna have to suck it up,

You have still not got the point have you. Just a thought, tell me , that is if you practice martial arts, do you do a lot of full contact sparring, where you get hit on the head a lot? Oh, nevermind.

then grow up,

I am grown up, but thank you for the suggestion anyway. If YOU were grown up yourself, you would have grasped the main point made by my first post. Most people seem to have understood what I was trying to say. It was nothing radical nor "commie":rolleyes: it was something that most decent people understand and that is DON'T WASH YOUR LAUNDRY IN PUBLIC. Or something on the same lines.

I don't know pakmei personally and I am not criticising his kung fu knowledge, skills, etc. it is just that post. It was WRONG.

then get a life.

But I do have a life, and that is one of the reasons that it took me so long to come across this forum and the particular thread.[/quote]

if you don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen.

More poetry, wow. All I have to say is that there must be a lot of poets in your family. It is in the genes I suppose.

and now, over to you for the last word because i got a feeling you're not mature or reasonable enough to go when the goings good.

L8r. :)

I was never going to let you get away with that attitude.

Ben Gash
07-15-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm somewhat surprised by all this, so I did some investigating, and it would appear that it's all Gene's fault!! The webteam have done such a good job with the site listings, that if you google Yap Leong this thread comes up as number 3!!! So rather than disappearing in the archive it's right on public view.

David Jamieson
07-15-2007, 04:43 PM
I was never going to let you get away with that attitude.

uh, you are just an internet anonymous weirdo with a huge chip on his shoulder acting like a lineage ho. that's cool. please feel free to continue quoting me weirdo.

HardWork8
07-17-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm somewhat surprised by all this, so I did some investigating, and it would appear that it's all Gene's fault!! The webteam have done such a good job with the site listings, that if you google Yap Leong this thread comes up as number 3!!! So rather than disappearing in the archive it's right on public view.

Finally! some sanity has entered the discussion. You are right, one of the first links that appears when you google Yap Leong, is this thread. But, it wouldn't be fair to blame this site. The blame lies with pak mei the author of the negative, comments that is all. That is all that I was trying to point out.

HardWork8
07-17-2007, 10:32 AM
uh, you are just an internet anonymous weirdo with a huge chip on his shoulder acting like a lineage ho. that's cool. please feel free to continue quoting me weirdo.

You still haven't got the point, have you? You seem to be lost in a forest searching for your mind.

See, I can be a poet too. You have woken my poetic side now, and I have discovered a side to me that I had never known existed. I am going to nurture this for the rest of my life. I will forever be grateful to you, thank you, thank you, thank you :D.

unkokusai
04-18-2008, 03:22 AM

We see that Basement-Boy has been a pedantic piece of **** right from the get-go.

HardWork8
06-07-2008, 10:04 AM
We see that Basement-Boy has been a pedantic piece of **** right from the get-go.

I tell you what Unkokusai, for someone who is suffering from chronic retardedness and actually does NOT practice any kung fu, you do get around a lot in these forums.:rolleyes:

David Jamieson
06-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Anyone know anything about this Pak Mei school?

http://chinatown.bulldoghome.com/pages/chinatown_bulldoghome_com/ukpakmei.htm

wow, props to that school for having the queen as the dignitary at their hoi gong ceremony! You can't get any better than that in England as far as that ceremony goes. :)

SevenStar
02-13-2016, 10:19 PM
Hate to bring this back to life, but mark batts is mentioned here. Is he still in London?

David Jamieson
02-17-2016, 12:31 PM
lol, really? :p