PDA

View Full Version : Tom Cruise - Vanilla Sky to Samurai?

SevenStar
08-16-2002, 05:41 PM
Nice rhyme, huh? :)

Has anyone heard about Tom Cruise's new movie? He's gonna be play a military leader that trained samurai in feudal Japan. From what I heard, he's training extremely hard for the role, but I dunno if I can picture him as a samurai...

yenhoi
08-16-2002, 05:57 PM
I think martialway.com had a half-assed article about it a month or so ago.

Sounds cool, I cant see Tommie as a japanese bushido warrior, but I can see him as the commander of the whites with guns that kill them all, or some panzie white ass ambassador or something that gets culture-washed and becomes some sort of psuedo-samurai.

anton
08-18-2002, 06:03 AM
I hated Vanilla Sky... for some reason Cruise always seems like such a poser. He gives these obviously practiced "looks" (a la "Blue steel" from Zoolander).

Serpent
08-18-2002, 11:08 PM
He's also a ****ing midget.

Ford Prefect
08-19-2002, 07:53 AM
Samurai's were pretty short as well...

I'd blue steel a camera if I was getting 20 mil a movie too. Cut the guy some slack. He gets paid to look good. I never thought Keaneu could pull off the Matrix, but he did. I'll give Tom a chance.

Former castleva
08-19-2002, 02:05 PM
Was not Matrix about flashy camera-angles,great budget and tons of special effects?
It seems that this Tomīs new flick "Minority Report" looks pretty much the same in a way.

neito
08-19-2002, 04:00 PM
i'm gonna see this movie just because it will contain some sort of sword fighting. at least it will be better than Xena, and i've been known to stoop that low.

TjD
08-19-2002, 04:41 PM
yeah but xena has some **** hot chicks on it and pseudo-lesbian action

those few episodes where callisto and xena switched places... **** i was in heaven :)

gabrielle also got extremely hot near the end of the series :)

Kristoffer
08-20-2002, 03:50 AM
Screw Xena, Gabrielle should get her own series.. About this with pretty boy Tom? well good for him. I think he play in usually pretty boring movies where he thinks to much of that he should look good. Hopefully he'll stop being such a diva and try to do a good movie.
Vanilla sky to samurai :D That's cool

Kristoffer
08-20-2002, 03:52 AM
Screw Xena, Gabrielle should get her own series.. About this with pretty boy Tom? well good for him. I think he play in usually pretty boring movies where he thinks to much of that he should look good. Hopefully he'll stop being such a diva and try to do a good movie.
Vanilla sky to samurai :D That's cool

anton
08-20-2002, 04:53 AM
Keanu in The Matrix wasn't so much a case of brilliant acting as clever casting. The role suited his limited acting abilities - he could fight convincingly, he could act cool convincingly, an he could look confused convincingly -- that's about it. Don't get me wrong I thought it was a brilliant movie, classic sci-fi flick with nice philosophical (dare I say it, spiritual) undertones - the role of Neo just wasn't very demanding.

Tom Cruise is a different story. I respect anyone who can make that amount of money doing anything, but there's no way I'll consider him a good actor.

Ford Prefect
08-20-2002, 06:56 AM
Exactly, Anton. If somebody came to before the Matrix and said that Keaneu was the star of a movie playing a messiah-type character with crazy kung-fu skills who is supposed to save the human race, then wouldn't think the movie would blow? I'll pass judgement after I see the movie. Not before.

Kristoffer
08-20-2002, 10:40 AM
exactly

SevenStar
08-20-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
Exactly, Anton. If somebody came to before the Matrix and said that Keaneu was the star of a movie playing a messiah-type character with crazy kung-fu skills who is supposed to save the human race, then wouldn't think the movie would blow? I'll pass judgement after I see the movie. Not before.

Nice.

And actually, I think he did **** good in vanilla sky. Whether or not people thought the movie was good, he played the hell outta that part