PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, Decisions

SevenStar
08-17-2002, 10:49 PM
Next month, Royce and Dr. Yang Jwing Ming are both coming to give seminars. They both come here every year, as does Francis Fong and Chai Sirusute. Being a poor southern boy, I may not be able to go see them both, as each seminar is at least $150 if I go all three days. Royce is 150 and Dr Yang is 180. I may try to split - like a day at each seminar, but I would hate to miss anything from either. What would you do?

qeySuS
08-17-2002, 11:03 PM
having no idea who the other guy is i'd go with Royce, i'd just like the chance to roll with the legend. I dont know if Royce is the same but i know that Royler and some other gracies have been known to teach very basic stuff in their seminars, maybe just as well since your basics can never be good enough. But i'm sure some people are frustrated by that.

PHILBERT
08-17-2002, 11:07 PM
You dont know who Dr Yang, Jwing-Ming is? I suggest you go type his name in at Amazon.com and see how many books and videos come back. Or go to his website

http://www.ymaa.com/

IronFist
08-17-2002, 11:45 PM
Holy ****! qeySuS is back. Uh, you've been gone for a while, right? Yeah. Cuz I haven't seen you post recently. But I haven't been here much recently either so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. Didn't you go on vacation here or something? How was it?

And you've never heard of Dr. Yang Jwing Ming? He's a pretty highly-respected CMA and internal MA guy.

Hmmm, well, I know just about nothing about grappling, so the Royce one would be interesting if it was the basics. However, Dr. Yang is very knowledgable and I'd probably rather go see him, depending on the subject matter.

Dude, are the seminars on the same day(s)?

Wait, here's an idea. Do you have any old MA books or videos you don't want that you could sell on eBay to make a quick buck? Then you could use that money to help pay for the seminars. I dunno, just a suggestion. Trying to help you out :)

Or, maybe you could go to one, and you friend could go to the other, and then you could compare notes. Or, if you can beat up your friend, take his wallet and go to both :) j/k.

Good luck. I'm sure if you can only go to one it will still be awesome, (knock on wood) so don't worry.

IronFist

Crimson Phoenix
08-18-2002, 03:08 AM
OK, here's a tough one...
Rolling with Royce is priceless, he's Da man after all...but I doubt you'll roll directly with him (except if he needs a big strong brotha to demonstrate his stuff hehehehehehe). Also, it would be very interesting if you were to learn advanced stuffs with him, but if it's only basics, then again such seminar could be enriching with any serious and legit BJJ black belt, Royce or not...but still, it's ROYCE...arrrgghhhhhhhhh
On the other hand, YJM's seminar are always a blast...I have attended 3-4 of them, and thoroughly enjoyed them each time...I suppose you are thinking about the Chin na seminar? Or will you be lucky enough to have the gong fu seminar? I remember that the first part of the chin na seminar is based heavily on finger chin na (be ready to see your pinkie double its volume during the night), and a very interesting part on grip escape (ie: the angles that enable you to escape someone grasping you even if he/she is squeezing with all her strenght). Then we mixed the grasp escape with the finger chin na learnt. Then the part on wrist chin na, really interesting because generally it is the part where he describes what is the meaning of the stance during the chin na execution. For example, the stance doesn't only serve to minimize your exposure to a counter, but most importantly always hides a strike: indeed, as YJM stresses out all the time, some chin na can fail on a certain opponent, or you can slip because of sweat or other reasons: so each attitude hides a strike just in case you see the control escaping. Also, he'll show the difference between a control lock, and a breaking/tezaring action, depending on how you perform your chin na.

Seven, I really dont know...both seminars promise to be a blast, it's a really hard choice...I'd prolly go for Yang, but I'm CMA and also YJM biased...still, honestly, I don't really see what makes it an edge to be taught by Royce if it is "only" basics. If it were advanced stuffs though, then I'd go for Royce, YJM will be back, and you can catch him later...but if it's a YJM white crane gong fu seminar, then don't miss it (he's strating to give away more and more white crane with VERY yummie stuff)...arrghhhhhh it's not even my choice and yet you got me going crazy!!!

Former castleva
08-18-2002, 03:54 AM
My choise would be YJM.

meltdawn
08-18-2002, 06:13 AM
Depends, is Dr. Yang teaching the same thing for 3 days? Usually he splits it up, like qigong one day, qin na another, etc. Not too many people can handle 2 days of the qin na. ;) If he is, then you can pick which day is best to go. Then spend the other two days rolling around on the ground with men. Hmmm, maybe I have my priorities backwards...

No_Know
08-18-2002, 06:51 AM
If Hoyce does basics. Then especially go. You might cath a factor he uses to get the edge. You'll always flubb the advanced if you don't at least nearly Master the basics.

Hoyce is better for you. You can grasp the contet that Hoyce might present in a seminar better than the vastness of Yang Jwing Ming seminar.

After the Hoyce seminar take the next year to study Jang Jwing Ming's materials. When(if) Jang Jwing Ming returns~ You will be more versed in what He might present. Therefore can walk away with more understanding of what you got at the seminar. Or the seminar would put things together to you (connect the dots).

Do other than split. People who train off and on and off and on don't gain, some might say. One expert at a time. It will take you long enough to encorporate any information that one full seminar means you're not necessarily as torn next time.

I think that If you are really impressed you might want to go next time too but then that's your direction. A person can have many preferred foods but not all at once. And trying to have two at the some time~ can leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Hoyce seminar (use the $30 difference for gasoline money to and from the Hoyce seminar (some-such some might say whatever whatever very good)).

MonkeySlap Too
08-18-2002, 08:07 AM
Doesn't the Juko-Kai certificates refer to '***** house' karate? I think that makes the answer obvious.

Knowing your interests and training arrangements, I would normally say go see YJM - but since you've got a ****load of CMA material to work on, AND you are also studying judo/BJJ, I'd go the Royce thing. You'll walk away with stuff to use in your judo class, so the retention will be higher.

On the other hand if YJM shows White Crane....hmmmm....white crane....

SevenStar
08-18-2002, 02:12 PM
Crimson,

I may be able to roll with him, as it is one of his schools that I am training at. I have no idea what he will be going over yet though - I have to try and find out.

Here is Dr. Yang's schedule:

day 1 - 3 hours of qin na
day 2 - 6 hours of push hands
day 3 - 6 hours of qi gong

Royce will be here the 2nd week of sept, and Dr. Yang will be here on the 3rd.

I like Ironfist's idea - beat up one of my friends and take his wallet. I think I will...