PDA

View Full Version : Hello David

Hungmei
08-29-2001, 04:23 PM
Good to see you on board. Last time we communicated you were embarking on a period of soul searching and had suspended all training/practice. I take it by your presence in this forum you’ve answered whatever questions you had and are now doing the hard work associated with acquiring skill in SPM.

If you run across Paul Whitrod kindly tell him I said “Hello and hope all is well with him.” Seems Paul has entered a period where he is exploring a primary foundation source. Having "been there, done that" I wish him well as it is nothing but ****ed hard, sweaty, solo work.

>The combined MA experience of these three guys is about twice as long as I've been living. And they become students again! That gets my respect.

One of the surest ways to prevent the fatal disease of "martial constipation" is to keep in mind this thing we call TCMA is a process. A process, by definition, has a logical and clearly defined start point, but no end point. The catch phrase is "maintain the mind of a student" which is often times misconstrued. IMO, accepting that walking this path is a process is more readily accessible to most people and provides a cleaner framework.

I consider it to be profound honor that GM Lee has accepted this old man as a disciple and owe Steve an eternal debt of gratitude for his efforts on my behalf. Take care David, John

Steven T. Richards
08-29-2001, 05:36 PM
Hello Jack,

David will probably reply direct, but he has mailed me and passed on his best wishes etc. He is training under his two instructors who are being guided by Paul Whitrod and David says are doing very well indeed. David seems very happy all round and it's great to haer from him again.

David
08-30-2001, 12:57 PM
It's great to see you posting again, too!

"Mission accomplished" on the introspection front. Thanks for your consideration. It was a tremendously useful 6 month period of re-alignment and stock-taking. On a mundane level, I'd have been ruined if I kept up training with the poor state of my arms (tendons/triceps/rotator cuffs). They were begging for some tlc and I just wouldn't listen.

I've made many changes and plans with regards life in general, and attempted to rationalise all my martial knowledge, making notes and exploring solo.

This process has highlighted weaknesses requiring attention and I'm now intent on dealing with those within the context of normal life. This is something you picked up on last we spoke - that I should be able to deal with stuff without having to withdraw. I needed it though, bigtime.

Like the phoenix-eye, I'm reborn more open and ready to absorb and my attitude to Life and training now is "bring it ON!". :) Do I sound happy? I bloody well am!
This should go in an email really but I lost your address. Please resend it.

Did I hear you'd relocated to Canada a while back? I think that's unlikely but the thought is in my head for some reason...

Of course I'm not surprised you're still willing to learn. It's the proper way to be but there're many numpties (my mate's favourite word) out there who don't like learning more than the absolute minimum to satisfy a self-image they have of themselves.

I have loads of stuff to write but no time. (thank God, you say)

All the best,
David

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey