PDA

View Full Version : Mu Lan Chuan

Nanking '28
08-19-2002, 07:35 AM
My girlfriend is really interested in Tai Chi and wants to study Mu Lan Chuan. Does anyone know of a teacher in this country? In the Southeast preferably...

patriot
08-19-2002, 08:43 AM
Mu Lan Chuan is not Tai Chi.

Crimson Phoenix
08-19-2002, 10:13 AM
It's a nice gongfu-flavored dance...

Nanking '28
08-19-2002, 02:37 PM
yep, a nice gongfu-flavored dance that is good for women, particularly in reproductive health, lower back, and postural development...I never said it was Tai Chi...I said my girlfriend was interested in Tai Chi....sorry for your assumption-***hole

Water Dragon
08-19-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Nanking '28
....sorry for your assumption-***hole

LMAO!!! That was classic :D

bob10
08-19-2002, 02:48 PM
I am interested in reproductive health, can you introduce me to your girlfriend?

Wanking'28 (IQ)

Nanking '28
08-19-2002, 02:53 PM
shouldve expected that i s'pose...:cool: specially from one of you **** Brits!!! My IQ got me through Oxford OK! No lie...

bob10
08-19-2002, 02:56 PM
Oh behaaaave :cool:

TaoBoxer
08-19-2002, 04:51 PM
Your IQ may have gotten you through Oxford but you still ended up in North Carolina..... ick

Just kiddin :)

Umm..... I saw a pic in RW Smiths book Martial Musings of Wang Shu Jin performing a double jian routine from Chen Pan Lings Taiji..... Wang was pretty good ;-)

Nanking '28
08-20-2002, 07:23 AM
Double Jian??? Thats intense! :eek:

Water Dragon
08-20-2002, 07:30 AM
Have you tried to get her to do Yoga? She might not enjoy it as much, but I bet you would :D

Nanking '28
08-20-2002, 10:21 AM
yeah, shes done some yoga before, but i think the type she studied may have been too static for her taste...she really wants to study taichi, but doesnt want to study with me in my school...shes got a bit of that nervousness about following a teacher for a while before getting the feel for the principles/form etc... Shes also concerned w/ starting in my school as I'm 'senior' in my school and shes a beginner, its tough i think for couples to teach each other in that situation... but yeah, the yoga definately helped her in feeling the flow of 'energy' if ya know what im sayin...

we should start a yoga vs tai chi post, Ive had a lot of good conversations about that topic, on which I am (sadly) pretty one sided!
later

Walter Joyce
08-20-2002, 10:57 AM
In a book by one of his students, it was reported that Chen Manching said that yoga and taiji both developed the same type of energy, but with taiji you knew what to do if someone pushed you off your cushion.

Nexus
08-20-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Nanking '28
yeah, shes done some yoga before, but i think the type she studied may have been too static for her taste...she really wants to study taichi, but doesnt want to study with me in my school...shes got a bit of that nervousness about following a teacher for a while before getting the feel for the principles/form etc... Shes also concerned w/ starting in my school as I'm 'senior' in my school and shes a beginner, its tough i think for couples to teach each other in that situation... but yeah, the yoga definately helped her in feeling the flow of 'energy' if ya know what im sayin...

we should start a yoga vs tai chi post, Ive had a lot of good conversations about that topic, on which I am (sadly) pretty one sided!
later

I have had a great tai chi teacher who had his girlfriend in his class and their were no problems whatsover. It will be up to you as the teacher, to treat everybody as a student and without bias.

Although you may be under the impression it is tough for couples to teach eachother, that should not be the case. The idea of teaching is an open and sharing environment, with the teacher as a guide, romodel and an example. If you or your girlfriend have a problem working together, you should assess your relationship before generalizing it as a universal problem for couples to teach one another as I assure you it is not.

Nanking '28
08-21-2002, 08:25 AM
totally appreciated Nexus....shes mainly just nervous about starting something new i think...and its not good for me to push her into something shes not really ready for herself, ya know? Even if she does really want to get into it. And when she does I'll definately keep your advise close to heart and mind...
I really appreciate all the great feedback everyone! And by the way...there doesnt seem to be any Mu Lan Chuan anywhere, except possibly a Fan Form from a Sifu Lily something in boston...
here's a question though...why 'Chuan' if its just a dance?

Walter Joyce
08-21-2002, 08:46 AM
Sifu (Simu is appropriate I believe) Lilly something from Boston is probably Chan Poi's daughter, she was the model used for Mulan's movements in the cartoon as I understand it. Chan Poi, as some of you may know, has a school in the Orlando area, but started teaching his mantis kung fu in Boston over 30 years ago. He is an expert in traditional chinese weapons. Just some local knowledge.
Btw, I saw Lilly at Chan Poi's 30th anniversary celebration with my son for his birthday that year. Some of you may be familiar with his style, Wah Lum.

Walter

Brad
08-21-2002, 12:51 PM
Chan Poi's saughter is Mimi Chan, not Lilly, I believe. Is Lilly in Boston Lilly Lau? The Eagle Claw GM?

My guess: Mulan Quan's creater combined some Taiji Quan movements with dance so that's where the Quan comes from. So even though it's not actually martial arts, it's still losely based on them.

Walter Joyce
08-21-2002, 01:03 PM
You could be right on the name...I'm not a wah lum stylist, TaiChiBob would probaly know for sure.

I don't know of a Lilly in Boston, but then I don't know everyone in the martial arts community here. I am familiar with at least most of the names of major players though, and have visited most of their schools at one point or another.

Crimson Phoenix
08-21-2002, 03:06 PM
Guys, have any checked what character is used for Chuan??? Maybe it is not the one for "fist", but rather for "form,sequence"...that could explain...
Nanjing, indeed, most of the time I saw Mulan performed, it was with a fan...I have also seen pictures of a double sword mulanquan, but strangely, I never even heard on a barehanded one...maybe the fan is the basic mulanquan...

NorthernMantis
08-21-2002, 03:09 PM
lol well as a wah lum student I can vouch. Correct sifu Mimi is si gung's daughter however the movements made in the movie were not Mu Lan chuan. They were wah lum movements, even the part where Mu Lan spars that guy is from our first two man form.

Nanking '28
08-22-2002, 07:14 PM
yep, i'm pretty sure it was lilly lau that my sifu mentioned...
word up to all you wah lum guys..
i was at the 2002 international tourny in st pete for my first showing ever and you guys rock that spot...my long fist was nothing compared to triple flip spinning turning punching kicking aerial madness!!! very impressed... I have actually started with a school that teaches the mantis fist since then and really enjoy the training i get...different lineage though, through sifu rick ward in boone, nc...lots of fun...

-and i thought this post was getting hijacked!

NorthernMantis
08-23-2002, 06:54 PM
lol well that's mostly for show. Most of our forms aren't so flashy.

Cool so you'r starting mantis? umm do you know what syle of mantis it is?

Nanking '28
08-26-2002, 12:56 PM
well...i do know that the system comes mostly through Sigung Rick Ward in Boone, NC...working on the white sash right now we learn a Tan Tui form (northern long fist), a mantis stick #1 form that apparently comes from old sword form- theres 4 or 5 of those, and some basics -kicking, punching etc., Ive only been there a few weeks but i really like what i'm studying...the system works through 5 animals and some N'ern Long Fist before studying N'ern Mantis forms later on in the curriculum...not sure about the Mantis forms, but I know we go there...I'm really enjoying the external workout- different from the Taiji, huh? Seems important to me to have a comprehensive curriculum to focus on...as well as a comprehensive external style that mixes well with my Tai Chi style...

You guys going to Orlando this weekend (8/30/02)???