PDA

View Full Version : Wallbag training in an apartment

IronFist
08-19-2002, 09:57 AM
Hey,

I'm moving into an apartment at college and I noticed that all the walls are like thin drywall stuff. In other words, there's no place I can hang up my wallbag. Booo. In my dorm last year the walls were all concrete behind the drywall so it was all good, but this year, if I punch it, it would probably go through the wall.

Anyone have any suggestions?

IronFist

EnterTheWhip
08-19-2002, 10:53 AM
Don't punch through it, tap it. That's the appropriate way, regardless of what's behind. Wing Chun ain't Karate.

red5angel
08-19-2002, 11:00 AM
Ironfist, does your apartment have a wall that doesn't divide you from your neighbors? If you can get a good anchor in say, the wall that divides your kitchen or bedroom, or whatever, then you can put your bag on a board and anchor it to the wall.

gnugear
08-19-2002, 11:36 AM
Is your dummy coming along for the ride?

If it is, I've seen a lot of folks mount their bags to the side of the dummy frame.

IronFist
08-19-2002, 08:01 PM
gnugear, my dummy might be coming. Not yet, but I might bring it up later on once I get settled in.

Ironfist, does your apartment have a wall that doesn't divide you from your neighbors? If you can get a good anchor in say, the wall that divides your kitchen or bedroom, or whatever, then you can put your bag on a board and anchor it to the wall.

Yes, I have like kitchen and bathroom walls and stuff, but I tapped on them today and they seem kind of flimsy.

I guess if worst comes to worst I could just build a stand for it or something. Actually I don't think that would work. Maybe I'll find a cement wall in my apartment somewhere. I think there's one in the furnace closet. Ewww, it'd be cramped as hell in there.

Maybe I will just put it on the wall and tap it as EnterTheWhip suggested. Do you think that would be as effective? No wait, not "as effective," but, "effective at all" or "worth my time?"

IronFist

Mithrandir
08-20-2002, 03:39 AM
Ironfist,

You could buy a 4" by 4" (about 10' long) post from a local lumber store. Cut a foot or so off the top and bury the post in a hole about 2 1/2 to 3' feet deep. Place the bag on the post and ready to go. I assume you have a board to mount the bag to. Where and if you can dig such a hole is your call. If this isn't possible I would try something along the lines of what Red5Angel suggests.

I agree with ETW about the way to hit the bag...so you shouldn't have much of a problem if the post doesn't work.

You can always do air punches.

Joakim Svensson
08-20-2002, 07:57 AM
Hi IronFist,

Try to get it up in a door opening
if you have one.
Also a bigger/heavier bag might work better.

And finally. Yes! the "tapping" really works.
Just try to keep relaxed and in proper
position all the time. It will also work
you stance.

/Joakim

www.go.to/wingchun
www.wing-chun.nu

IronFist
08-20-2002, 09:44 PM
The door thing might be a good idea. My front door (into my apartment from the hall) is nice and solid but the door to my bedroom is like hollow or something. Hmmm... I'll try stuff and let you know if it works or not, and if not, I'll bug you for more suggestions.

IronFist