PDA

View Full Version : My recent visit to Minnesota

LingWood
08-30-2001, 12:49 AM
Though I am new to the board, I thought that I would take a moment to recount my recent trip to Minnesota. There, I had the AWESOME opportunity to meet Master Gin Foon Mark.

While my own art is Ling Wood Chuan Wing Chun Kung Fu, I was taught, and continue to instruct, to have respect for my art's many kung fu "cousins". I therefore believe that there is much value to be found in examining alternative technique.

My own Sifu, Master John Walsh, had the opportunity to briefly train with Master Mark in his early kung fu career. He always spoke very highly of him and his technique. Reflecting on my visit, I can understand his admiration.

Still, despite having experienced first hand the fine style which is Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu, I left with the added respect of Master Mark's other fine talents which well compliment his kung fu. Master Mark is additionally a highly talented calligraphist, acupuncturist, chi gong master, and instructor! While there, in addition to being tutored on some of the basics of the Southern Praying Mantis style, I also experienced these other talents.

I was in a car accident a year and a half ago and my back has since been treated with physical therapy, ongoing chiropracting, and acupuncture. Master Mark kindly agreed to treat me while I was visiting his school. I feel that my healing process has had a remarkable improvement since this treatment and continue to feel increasingly well. This was MUCH better acupuncture than that of what I had been receiving from my local practitioner.

The Chi Gong which I experienced was equally gratifying. Additionally I purchased one of his paintings which I like very much!

I look forward to visiting again and would gladly recommend it to anyone!

rfbrown3
08-30-2001, 10:54 PM
What an honor to have met such a great legend of Gung Fu! I wish you well with your healing.

toddbringewatt
08-31-2001, 12:42 PM
Thank you for your post. I would love to study with Master Mark. After reading of your experience I want to even more!

may the force be with you

Richard mantis
08-31-2001, 05:55 PM
Hey Ling Wood.

Thanks for the positive words about my Sifu.

It was great having you and I look forward to your next visit!

Rich

Kim
09-03-2001, 07:48 PM
Richard Mantis,
This is my first post, so bear with me. I live in St. Paul, MN and am interested in learning more about kung fu. I have been taking classes at United Martial Arts in Maplewood for 2 years and, to be honest, am having trouble learning so many styles effectively. I like the kung fu classes and have been thinking about changing to that. Where is your school? Can I set up a appointment to watch a class or something? Again, I don't have very much background on kung fu, but am interested. Thanks!

toddbringewatt
09-03-2001, 09:14 PM
You should be able to find Gin Foon Mark's Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu in your local yellow pages.

Also, years ago I watched a class there. Very impressive.

Call and go check it out. Have fun!

I'm a native Minnesotan who grew up in the suburbs of St. Paul (Gin Foon Mark's home). Now I live in California and recently decided to get back into martial arts and have chosen Southern Praying Mantis. But I'm stuck out here in California! Kind of ironic, huh?

Anyway, after some searching I found a SPM teacher out here so we'll see how it goes.

Best,

Todd

may the force be with you

Richard mantis
09-04-2001, 11:01 PM
RF Brown.

I recieved you letter yesterday.

Thank you very much!!!

Let me know if I can be of further help to you.

Rich