PDA

View Full Version : Psychological Training

Mr. Bao
08-19-2002, 10:16 PM
We often read about physical conditioning in these forums, but does anyone here know about the science and benefits of sport psychology?

What is your mental training schedule and program? I am trying to get some ideas here for my own mental training. For those who are interested in learning about how metal training can improve your kung fu, form and techniques please check out:

"Mental Training For Peak Performance" by Steven Ungerleider, PH.D/ Member, US Olympic Committee Sports Psychology Registry.

This is not zen or some mystical crap or nonsense. It is a science that has proven to improve performance. Enjoy the book.

Bao

yenhoi
08-19-2002, 10:55 PM
Quote:

This is not zen or some mystical crap or nonsense. It is a science that has proven to improve performance. Enjoy the book.

--

Whats you mean by "science" and "proven" ??

anerlich
08-19-2002, 11:24 PM
A few other avenues of exploration may include neurolinguistic programming, as popularised by Anthony Robbins and a cast of thousands. Anthony Robbins is a bit too smooth,hokey and commercial for the taste of many, but some of his stuff in his books isn't bad.

For combat or combat sport, investigate Tony Blauer's material (www.tonyblauer.com), Geoff Thompson (www.geoffthompson.com), and Scott Sonnon's Flow State Performance Spiral (www.rmax.tv).

Mithrandir
08-20-2002, 12:00 AM
Hi Mr. Bao,

First off, what is it you wish to accomplish with your mental training regimen?

What does mental training or conditioning mean to you?

Perhaps you might want to put forth some of your own opinions on the multitude of questions you seem to have.

Mr. Bao
08-20-2002, 05:03 AM
Dear friends,

Just because i ask the questions doesn't mean I know the answers.

First, Yenhoi, sports psychologists have studied the mental techniques that have proven to show to increase human performance and has mapped out what worked for most and what didn't work so well. In the past, the Russians were ahead of us in this science and we are only catching up to them now.

What I mean by science is that the sprts psychologists/ neurologists have used inductive method, and came with a theory, and their theory have shown actually results to confirms their theory. It is in the book that I recommended.

The reason why I use mental training is to help me to improve my techniques and to stay for fluid, Mithrandir.

Bao

kj
08-20-2002, 05:35 AM
Mr. Bao and Anerlich, thanks for the references.
- kj

yenhoi
08-20-2002, 07:18 AM
Quote:

What I mean by science is that the sprts psychologists/ neurologists have used inductive method, and came with a theory, and their theory have shown actually results to confirms their theory. It is in the book that I recommended.

--

Under this 'definition' eastern "mind state" philosophies ( I think you refered to them as something like mystic zen crap) have also 'proven' (??) to increase human performance.

You would benefit from studying some eastern philosophy, as well as looking into some religions, most specifically the Muslim religion, and then looking into perhaps some African stuff or Native american stuff.

Mr. Bao
08-20-2002, 10:23 AM
Yenhoi:

I am very well versed in philosophy and have read numerous books on eastern philosophies and visited some temples myself in new york city.

Yes, Zen mediation works and so does yoga and other mystic traditions but it doesn't specifically focus or address sport performance enhancement but more on enlightenment and self knowledge.

In the world of professional sports, the techniques used to mentally train someone to increase their performance is similar to zen or whatnot but it quite very different and secular.

If you wish to discuss eastern philosophy or any philosophical topic such as the problems of metaphysics which is the problem of western philosophy or krishnamurti, taoism, buddhism please email me.

bao

joy chaudhuri
08-20-2002, 03:23 PM
mr. Bao. There is indeeda great sports psych. literature and the exercise Science Department at my university is one of the best in the nation(USA).Regents Professor Daniel Landers has made major research contributions to the literature. But wing chun is NOT a sport.Its not the javelin throw, archery, football, basketball, wrestling or boxing If properly done over time- wing chun itself results in the right mind-body connection for effective martial application.
The operative word is "properly"....knowing the sequence of the motions is not enough.

yenhoi
08-20-2002, 03:34 PM
sorry,

I get defensive when people say things like 'mystic zen crap' and then use words like 'science' and 'proven.'

anerlich
08-20-2002, 03:43 PM
Mr Bao merely raised sports psychology as a topic for discussion. I believe its foundation and veracity as a science to enhance performance is well founded. This is a legitimate subject for a thread.

The values of Eastern disciplines are also well regarded, though it is less easy to explore their veracity due to a smaller number of scientific studies and experimental results.

You seem to have been picking an argument with Mr Bao over vocabulary and trifles, rather than

Perhaps you might want to put forth some of your own opinions

If you think Zen and meditation enhance sports or WC performance and have advantages that western Sports Science doesn't, feel free to post substantively.

It is good you apologised, as it was warranted.

yenhoi
08-20-2002, 04:17 PM
I thought he was trolling.

He did say crap. :D

Mithrandir
08-20-2002, 05:32 PM
Joy,

Excellent points. Thanks for the insight.

Rolling_Hand
08-20-2002, 07:07 PM
Quote:
----------------------------------------------------------------
sorry,

I get defensive when people say things like 'mystic zen crap' and then use words like 'science' and 'proven.'

I can pardon everyone's mistakes but my own.

What do you call this?

Mr. Bao
08-20-2002, 11:01 PM
Joy,

I realized Wing Chun is not a sport, but is has subtle and obvious
movements which requires many hours of "physically" practice. I am only addressing the idea or the possibility of improving our kung fu through "mentally" training in addition to our physical training?

Since there isn't much modern psychological training to control our emotions, to relax, to improve refined motor skills, and access our subconscious potential in most kwoons, I think it is wise for modern students of any martial arts to seek not new ways of doing their art but different and more effective ways of learning their art.

In the end of the day, improving the education will ultimately improve the quality of better students and furture teachers.
Perhaps I am wrong but hey it is an idea.

Bao

Mr. Bao
Joy,

movements which requires many hours of "physically" practice. I am only addressing the idea or the possibility of improving our kung fu through "mentally" training in addition to our physical training?

Since there isn't much modern psychological training to control our emotions, to relax, to improve refined motor skills, and access our subconscious potential in most kwoons, I think it is wise for modern students of any martial arts to seek not new ways of doing their art but different and more effective ways of learning their art.

In the end of the day, improving the education will ultimately improve the quality of better students and furture teachers.

Bao

Mr. Bao
Joy,

Bao

Mithrandir
08-23-2002, 01:04 AM
Hi Mr. Bao,

This is what I wished for you to clarify. Do you seek to develop a mentral training program to utilize differing emotions to induce mental states to augment your physical training regimen?

If so, what results do you seek from such training? This would possibly help those on the list by allowing them to relate their own training methodology for similiar goals. For instance, you made mention of seeking fluidity in motion (paraphrasing here), I would recommend an emotional state of neutrality. Eliminate all mental dialogue if possible. Seek to feel your body from the inside out...eliminate the distinctions between mind, body, and movement. Err...sorry if I went to deep there.

Perhaps you seek new methods for mentally training Wing Chun while experiencing physical down time?

I wasn't trying to come off like a jerk, I actually was intrigued by the question.

Just some thoughts,
Mithrandir

{i^(
08-23-2002, 05:33 AM
This is something I'm interested in. I'll only address the Zen vs. other stuff split first, though, K?

There are other ways within the Western paradigm to approach psychological training than strict Western psychology, so you can take your pick. Philosophy offers some tips, and Gurdjieff has some real good methods. Psychology is the most direct route, however.

I've been re/looking at Gurdjieff lately: Yenhoi, if you are aware of him, or not, he's a really good resource for you. (Just stay away from the cultist types) His method: put people in awkward situations- yell at them, close them in, attack them, have twenty people run up and hug them without warning (esp. if they can't stand to be touched). He played on fears.

The idea was to psychologically 'strip' the person down to 'bare metal', make him/her realize what they're made of. Now, THATS Zen.

You can follow a similar premise in WCKF, if you want- set up stress-causing situations, ones that the art can not handle well (multiples, groundwork, flexible weapons) but you run the risk of ruining the persons kung fu if you overdo it. Perhaps as a once a month/week/whatever schedule? Just an idea- not doing it right now and have not experimented.

Hendrik
08-23-2002, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Bao

What is your mental training schedule and program? I am trying to get some ideas here for my own mental training. For those who are interested in learning about how metal training can improve your kung fu, form and techniques please check out:

Bao

1, Zen is not Crap or Nonsense. Properly cultivated Zen brough one back the original state of unflattering mind.

Blame on those who doesn't know Zen and but trying to make things sound advance and mistic. But not Zen.

2, logical reasoning mind and "scientific" mind cannot over write the "desire" mind. Such as sex, anger, Fear....depression . So how is one training one's mind?

In theory, all this and that scientic ... sound great but why is the sell of Prozak or those anti fear /depresion drug sky rocketing in a fear or pressure society?

Does Zen has the answer ? Yes, accoding to the writing of ancient patriach.
if one see his/her own the "original face".

Only after one sees the original face the paradigm shifted. otherwise, it is all reasoning with the same paradigm subject to fear/anger....

the concept of "Seeing original face" can be related in the western world as " know God".

Know is different with understand or read about.
it is no longer about reasons, scientific........
it is "I know deep in the heart." it is not an attachment of any kind of phylosophy.

A Jedi shall not has Hatret/anger/ nor love. How to get there?

one needs to get to the operating system not emulating MSDos with Window or writing visual basic make belive it is the MS DOS. LOL

My 2 cents.

planetwc
08-23-2002, 10:37 AM
Ok I'll bite. :)

So Joy what is the process or definition of the process of proper training as regards Wing Chun?

And why is Boxing or Wrestling any different from Wing Chun?

I would present a hypothesis that boxers and wrestlers in fact have a more developed fighting mindset than the average Wing Chun student.

I'm interested in your thoughts on this, given your background in Boxing.

Thanks,

David

Originally posted by joy chaudhuri
mr. Bao. There is indeeda great sports psych. literature and the exercise Science Department at my university is one of the best in the nation(USA).Regents Professor Daniel Landers has made major research contributions to the literature. But wing chun is NOT a sport.Its not the javelin throw, archery, football, basketball, wrestling or boxing If properly done over time- wing chun itself results in the right mind-body connection for effective martial application.
The operative word is "properly"....knowing the sequence of the motions is not enough.

Rolling_Hand
08-23-2002, 12:02 PM
--1, Zen is not Crap or Nonsense. Properly cultivated Zen brough one back the original state of unflattering mind.--HD

**Zen is not lips.--RH

--Blame on those who doesn't know Zen and but trying to make things sound advance and mistic. But not Zen. --HD

**The less of lips, the more of Zen!--RH

--2, logical reasoning mind and "scientific" mind cannot over write the "desire" mind. Such as sex, anger, Fear....depression . So how is one training one's mind?--HD

**Never ask advice from a nut whose troubles are worse than your own.--RH

--In theory, all this and that scientic ... sound great but why is the sell of Prozak or those anti fear /depresion drug sky rocketing in a fear or pressure society? --HD

**A peeping Tom at the keyhole won't know everything inside of the room!--RH

--Does Zen has the answer ? Yes, accoding to the writing of ancient patriach.
if one see his/her own the "original face". --HD

**The one who knows, no lips!--RH

--Only after one sees the original face the paradigm shifted. otherwise, it is all reasoning with the same paradigm subject to fear/anger.... --HD

**Can a turkey sings like a bird?--RH

--the concept of "Seeing original face" can be related in the western world as " know God". --HD

**God is crying when the turkey sings!--RH

--Know is different with understand or read about.
it is "I know deep in the heart." it is not an attachment of any kind of phylosophy.--HD

**Under the heaven, the superior man rules...please go to sing in your own back yark.--RH

--A Jedi shall not has Hatret/anger/ nor love. How to get there?--HD

**When it rains, it rains, only the fool has to ask.--RH

--one needs to get to the operating system not emulating MSDos with Window or writing visual basic make belive it is the MS DOS. LOL --HD

**Geez, if you to like eat white meat, try some turkey sandwich. But please don't tell other people what to eat. Even the no.1 peeping Tom like you won't have any clue about what others like to eat and I bet on it.--RH

--My 2 cents.--HD

**Save it for yourself.--RH

yuanfen
08-23-2002, 12:43 PM
David W. asks:
Ok I'll bite.

So Joy what is the process or definition of the process of proper training as regards Wing Chun?
And why is Boxing or Wrestling any different from Wing Chun?
I would present a hypothesis that boxers and wrestlers in fact have a more developed fighting mindset than the average Wing Chun student.
I'm interested in your thoughts on this, given your background in Boxing.
Thanks,
David
------------------------
Hi David- Getting me into trouble???!!Didnt intend to lead intoa question- but since you asked..
some thoughts(defined by the current forum format"any thoughts?"...
1. A real streetfighter's mind frame is different from that of a boxer or wrestler. The best streetfighter I have ever seen in action didnt have a lick of grappling or striking sport training and he mowed down all who came-even trained boxers and wrestlers. A rusty ice pick stuck on his side finally slowed him down. My lesson from this and other experiences? Sports are ok
but they are poor rehearsals for actual fighting. But those boxers and wrestlers who also have been on the street(Tyson, Duran in their prime were something else. Old time boxers also knew cross butt throws BTW.)A mentor of mine was the real bouncer in pro wrestling matches in Oklahoma in the very early 50s.- could put the biggies off or on stage down witha single punch if needed.(knew enough about wrestlers rhytms) Of course there are good wrestlers who could finish off the average boxer who only boxed as well and didnt know anything else..
2. Agreed that the AVERAGE wing chunners mind set is inferior
to the average competitive boxers and wrestlers-not the gentleman boxers in spas.
3. But why discuss the average? The learning curve of wing chun on the one hand and sport boxing and wrestling are different. In the latter two-the learning curve rises fast-in the teenage years-flattens out in the 20s- starts going downwards in the 30s.The wing chun curve is slow to start- most "average" wing chun folks
dont stay with it ina sustained fashion to keep on learning and improving--for a variety of reasons -they quit-train episodically- bail out to mix martial arts and zig zag in different fashion. Barely understand the first form. though they can brag about knowing the sequences of everything.Developing the real mindset of wing chun and testing it would result in exile(the Hong Kong exits including Ip man), the wrath of the PRC(cultural revolution/red guards) and jail
or prison in the west. So you do the next best thing---the automatic simulation of the real moves WITH CONTROL. The real moves do not occur in chi sao competitions which has its rules.
But with continuous chi sao in all its full cafetaria of transitions from one form to another and moving and sitting with proper
structure, head and eyes and intent, creating gaps, closing them..
very very close quarters work, chin na, throws, escapes and breaks you develop the mind set to do anything anywhere that is necessary for survival- with any part of the body- not just winning a match. Sometimes the problem in simulation is though that non wing chun folks dont always understand when you have got through- unfortunately you have to be willing to hurt if you have to otherwise you will get hurt. That's part of the mind set.
The undeveloped wing chunners who are lured into the UFC seeking glory give wing chuna bad name. They stand like a piece of wood, lift their leg as though they are going to kick(in the Indian reserve in Canada affair) dont know how to move, fall for fakes(as discussed), havent gone beyond stiff chain punches.... There isalso other problems with judging reality by the UFC- if memory serves--in the the early days after winning elimination matche... the winning finalist ((after all the training and dvelopment)would get about $60,000. A Tyson could auction his heavy bag, punching gloves and possibly his shorts for that.
You put that $60,00o in a bag ina parking lot- get the referee outa there and the police it might end up in different hands. Most people who watch the UFC dont know a **** thing about fighting- just getting their vicarious jollies without even the limited risks taken by the participants. A wing chun mindset means willing to go all the way but having the superb control to know when to use it, not to use it or walk away. Stillness and intent in the midst of turmoil. No t easy to develop-but is part of the long run wing chun path.May not be the answer you wanted but-you asked--
Enough -off the soap box-missed the spell check--where is it
on this forum?

Hendrik
08-23-2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Rolling_Hand

--2, logical reasoning mind and "scientific" mind cannot over write the "desire" mind. Such as sex, anger, Fear....depression . So how is one training one's mind?--HD

**Never ask advice from a nut whose troubles are worse than your own.--RH

--In theory, all this and that scientic ... sound great but why is the sell of Prozak or those anti fear /depresion drug sky rocketing in a fear or pressure society? --HD

**A peeping Tom at the keyhole won't know everything inside of the room!--RH

--Does Zen has the answer ? Yes, accoding to the writing of ancient patriach.
if one see his/her own the "original face". --HD

**The one who knows, no lips!--RH

--the concept of "Seeing original face" can be related in the western world as " know God". --HD

**God is crying when the turkey sings!--RH

--Know is different with understand or read about.
it is "I know deep in the heart." it is not an attachment of any kind of phylosophy.--HD

**Under the heaven, the superior man rules...please go to sing in your own back yark.--RH

--My 2 cents.--HD

**Save it for yourself.--RH

The more you post the more it exposed your lack of knowledge and cultivation.
strongly attach to ego....
That is Samsara.

AMITABA BUDDHA.
The Sea of Suffering is unended.

Hendrik
08-24-2002, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Rolling_Hand
--1, Zen is not Crap or Nonsense. Properly cultivated Zen brough one back the original state of unflattering mind.--HD

You are right.

Let's see who is superior.

Even In your fantasy line of story, ChiSim was killed by the white eyebrow.
Shao Lin was burn down to ashes by the Qing Army....
Qing beat them all. Tan Sau NG has to go running and hiding... Nothing left.

In recorded history, The emperor Yung Zhen who is a real Chan practitioner blown all those "Claim to be superior Chan monks" away. and did a clean house on those so called Chan monks.

Hey ToTo,
this ain't Ming Dynasty any more. It had collaps 400 years ago.
and fake monk emperor ---Chu Yuan-Zhang is not as good emperor compare with Kang Xi or Yung Zhen of Qing dynasty. Got it?

read more real history before trying to discuss about the subject.

So are you changing your style to Qing martial art style since the reality disappointed you?
:)

{i^(
08-24-2002, 04:54 AM
Are reminding me of this joke:

Bunch of Zen monks are in a temple, chanting "I am nothing, I am nothing, OMMMM" when the janitor comes in and, seeing how at peace they were, he sits down and chants along with them.

Then the Master says, "Riiiight. Look who thinks HE'S nothing!"

Mr. Bao: psychology works best when it is solving a particular problem. Just like any other western science. Are you looking for anything in particular? Better/faster learning of forms? Better reactions and timing? Elimination of different kinds of blockages? Or just more sites?

Theres a motherlode of journals to be found at
http://psych.hanover.edu/Krantz/journal.html

and good articles at
www.healthpsych.com

kj
08-24-2002, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by {i^(
Bunch of Zen monks are in a temple, chanting "I am nothing, I am nothing, OMMMM" when the janitor comes in and, seeing how at peace they were, he sits down and chants along with them.

Then the Master says, "Riiiight. Look who thinks HE'S nothing!"

That's a keeper. :D:D:D

Thanks!
- kj

yuanfen
08-24-2002, 08:50 AM
{i^( -sez

Mr. Bao: psychology works best when it is solving a particular problem. Just like any other western science.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Western psychology is now a science? A plethora of unconnected "findings".
Parts of it perhaps...pigeons, rats, chimps and their reactions to stimuli.....measurable repeatable predictable.
probabilistic findings in market research.
Problemtaic predictions on psychotropic drugs...with lesser attention on their long run side effects.
Partial modeling of the brain in the borderlines of neorological-medical research.
Isolation of motions in specified sports and their development.
But in the development of the self and the yi? Doubtful.

Has its limited uses if you know its limits.

{i^(
08-24-2002, 11:30 AM
You disappoint me. Yes, Western Psychology IS a science. It accepts Scientific Method and uses that to pursue its 'findings', as you so quaintly put it. No, it will not help with your little 'yi', but it does a great deal with the development of self. Look into it, and you'll shove your foot less further down your throat.

Limited uses, I'll agree with that. Everything is like that. Problematic results? Of course. Science advances by identifying and solving problems.
'Unconnected'? HA! Thats merely a recognition that, in Popper's terms, the science of psychology is PRE-paradigmatic. Don't slam it, if you can't hack it.

Rolling_Hand
08-24-2002, 03:31 PM
Quote:
The more you post the more it exposed your lack of knowledge and cultivation.
strongly attach to ego....
That is Samsara.
AMITABA BUDDHA.
The Sea of Suffering is unended. - form some lips
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Zen has no lips!

Turkey has lips...

Buddha has many faces!

But the peeping Tom has only one face - "Joker"

Buddha is one who knows everything about something and nothing about anything else.

But some lips like to speak for Buddha....

Humm.....

yuanfen
08-24-2002, 04:30 PM
{i^(
Yuanfen
You disappoint me.
((Sorry- pursuit of ideas can result in differences cropping up)) Yes, Western Psychology IS a science.
((Ala Captan Piccard- make it so?))
It accepts Scientific Method and uses that to pursue its 'findings', as you so quaintly put it.
(Einstein- Science without epistemo;ogy is blind, epistemo;ogy without science is an empty scheme))
No, it will not help with your little 'yi',
((the yi can take care of itself- indeed it must))
but it does a great deal with the development of self.
((Which self- where, when and how))
Look into it,
((have- as much as many))
and you'll shove your foot less further down your throat.
((If it could make me that flexible- I would check into it further))

Limited uses, I'll agree with that. Everything is like that.
((Surely))
Problematic results? Of course. Science advances by identifying and solving problems.
(Surely- so? It has advanced much in some areas))
'Unconnected'? HA! Thats merely a recognition that, in Popper's terms, the science of psychology is PRE-paradigmatic.
(( I respect Popper a lot... lots of pre paradigmatic fields of knowledge. Depends on what means by science...geology remained classificatory till its alliance with physics and the plate techtonic thesis. Aristotelian classification of plants- still useful ina rudeimentary way. Lots of things that are not science can still be useful.Conservatism on what is called science is in part reverence for it))

Don't slam it, if you can't hack it.
((I dont slam science- I leave hacking to others. Millions of non westerners have got by pretty well without western psychology.
There are different approaches to the concept of the self))

(PS: I have got by fairly well in wing chun development despite my
seeming "ignorance" of sports psych, western psych, systems theory etc.
Popper would recognize that a tacit knowledge of the subject is not necessarily a bad thing.))

{i^(
08-24-2002, 06:29 PM
U: "PS: I have got by fairly well in wing chun development despite my
Popper would recognize that a tacit knowledge of the subject is not necessarily a bad thing.))"

No one is claiming that psychology is necessary for wing chun, nor is anyone saying that non-westerners have NOT gotten by without western psychology. If you choose to reject it, be my guest. But don't say it is not what it most clearly is.

FWIW: non-westerners have also gotten by without our western dentists too. Does that mean their lives were better? Hmmm?

U: "geology remained classificatory till its alliance with physics and the plate techtonic thesis"

This is precisely what allowed it to become paradigmatic. Psychology has not attained that state yet, but it is being reached for. It does not do to conflate the applied areas with the research areas of psychology in your attempts to understand it either. Counseling and clinical psych. are applied areas. Experimental, social, animal behaviorists, neuropsychologists, evolutionary psych's, psychophysicists, psychobiologists, et al. are the research end. These constitute the bulk of the enterprise.

Within each of these areas, you find schools of thought: behaviorists, cognitivists, Lacanians, Freudians, Gestalt, etc. These have not settled their differences yet. The essential question of any science is not 'how true' a theory is, but 'how long' does a theory last until displaced. Even Einstein, at this late date, is being challenged by "findings" from Australia. And this is thrilling news.

You work for a university. Surely you have spoken at some length with colleagues in the psych. dept.?

Mr. Bao
08-24-2002, 07:31 PM
I never thought my tread would open an argument over eastern and western philosophy/psychology. Listen guys just forget it.

Bao

yuanfen
08-24-2002, 08:17 PM
{i^(

Yuanfen once again
U: "PS: I have got by fairly well in wing chun development despite my
Popper would recognize that a tacit knowledge of the subject is not necessarily a bad thing.))"

No one is claiming that psychology is necessary for wing chun, nor is anyone saying that non-westerners have NOT gotten by without western psychology.
((Good enough for the thread))
If you choose to reject it, be my guest. But don't say it is not what it most clearly is.
((No rejection- recognition in the context of other fields ))

FWIW: non-westerners have also gotten by without our western dentists too. Does that mean their lives were better? Hmmm?
((Going far afield from psych to dentistry- never suggested that bad teeth are good for you.What to take and what not to take
os part of being discriminating- such as taking wing chun rather than karate))

U: "geology remained classificatory till its alliance with physics and the plate techtonic thesis"

This is precisely what allowed it to become paradigmatic.
((Sure- my point))
Psychology has not attained that state yet, but it is being reached for.
((Humans constitute a far more difficult subject matter))

It does not do to conflate the applied areas with the research areas of psychology in your attempts to understand it either. Counseling and clinical psych. are applied areas. Experimental, social, animal behaviorists, neuropsychologists, evolutionary psych's, psychophysicists, psychobiologists, et al. are the research end. These constitute the bulk of the enterprise.

(See no problem with applied versus with the pure research distinctions...they exist in other areas such as language and linguistics as well))

Within each of these areas, you find schools of thought: behaviorists, cognitivists, Lacanians, Freudians, Gestalt, etc. These have not settled their differences yet.
((Sure))
The essential question of any science is not 'how true' a theory is, but 'how long' does a theory last until displaced.
((In science, a "good" theory is made intoa special case not always displaced. Newton is still relevant))
Even Einstein, at this late date, is being challenged by "findings" from Australia. And this is thrilling news.
((New "findings" are indeed thrilling. Time for analysis and philosophy... sometimes to see whether the findings are "real"
or simply reiteration of assumptions))

You work for a university.
((Wow. Personal. What does that have to do with it??))

Surely you have spoken at some length with colleagues in the psych. dept.
(( Lots of individualists in academia. Lots of battles on curricula.
Still as whole psych. remains a "social" science.
Mr. Bao is probably correct- even though he started it- far enough for me- you can have your parting shot))