PDA

View Full Version : consent forms

wild child
08-20-2002, 02:58 AM
I am just updating my forms for my students.

Do any of you guys have consent forms? I have one at present with name, address ect, but wanted to make it a bit more in depth. I was thinking about adding stuff in about responsible behaviour, rules of the club ect

Any thoughts or examples would be appreciated.

Also, do you think it is appropriate to ask if they have a criminal record? Mental health difficulties? Health problems

Thanks, wild child

anton
08-20-2002, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by wild child
Also, do you think it is appropriate to ask if they have a criminal record? Mental health difficulties? Health problems

Not only appropriate, but probably the responsible thing to do (could prevent you from getting in a nasty law suit too!). Make sure you include a paragraph that reassures people that the info will be kept confidential.

Former castleva
08-20-2002, 02:24 PM
Important issue,I think.
You know there is a principle in chuka shaolin (phoenix eye fist kung-fu) which says "don´t teach what you have learned to the people of unproven character".
I think about it at times,I´m probably very far from being an instructor but possibly posses some knowledge.
This would be important for the instructor to remember.
Even in this small piece of world I´m exactly living at,there are certain rules with some of the schools.
Committing a violence crime will get you kicked out of the school.
We certainly don´t bow for nothing,when we enter the mat and start training certain technique we shall bow at each other as a sign of respect,sincere mindset and that you´ll take good care of your training partner.
All the old rules apply pretty well to modern life.
There was a discussion about drug use in martial arts at www.martialtalk.com (good site anyway,you might want to check it out) general health problems are good thing for the instructor to know,to avoid unnecessary injury.
I personally have mental health diffuculties,if one´s MHD would enter a level where one could not join a class then...not.
But as a dojo/kwoon should be a safe enviroment and training should always be committed in joyful presence,I think it could help one to grow trough them too,not in all cases of course.
I´m a bit tired now while wríting this post and these are part my thoughts,part someone else´s (referring to veterans)
I´ll have to say that this is a worthy issue to think about.
Best regards.

rubthebuddha
08-20-2002, 10:52 PM
definitely go with a more expansive consent form. treat it like a questionnaire designed to let you get to know the basics of your students. my instructor would never teach a criminal (kicked out one or two). anything else is just knowledge about your student that can help you be a better teacher to them.

go for it.

wild child
08-21-2002, 01:03 AM
thanks for the replies.

The other question it raises for me is giving people an opportunity. If they have commited a crime, who am I to judge their character based on what they have done or whether they have done thier time and are rehabilitated. May be doing martial arts is what they need in their lives to focus on and stop commiting offences.

On the other hand, I guess it depends on the crime.

Does any one have any examples of consent forms they could mail me or post.

thanks in advance,

wild child

anton
08-21-2002, 04:14 AM
Even if you decide to give someone a chance, its still useful to know if they have a criminal record.

Shadow Dragon
08-21-2002, 04:43 AM
One word of warning.

Even if you got consent forms and everybody signs them you can still be sued.

Those forms don't protect you as much as you would like.
They help if you get sued, but that is all.

Peace.