PDA

View Full Version : Dating and Kung Fu

WushuSpear
08-20-2002, 11:28 AM
Hello people

Just wondering how you people who are dating people introduce kung fu, which takes a lot of your time and effort, to your partners. Is it something you come out with straight away when they ask you about your hobbies? I ask this because most people have the wrong idea about kung fu due to movies etc.

Another question is that due to your martial arts training, are you now attracted to a certain type of person? I assume that most of us are in good shape and avoid excess smoking, alcohol, narcotics and other harmful substances.

An 'interestin' developement is my attraction to Chinese women. Wierd and I can explain it. Must be the kung fu.

Looking foward to your replies.

dezhen2001
08-20-2002, 11:39 AM
Interesting thread - can't wait to see who else posts :p

anyone i know reasonably well automatically knows i practise martial arts anyway, so it's not usually a problem. I think that most people who get to know me can see i'm a decent guy who likes to have fun... so even though i do Kung Fu and Qigong it doesn't make me a badass. Mainly i guess it's for my health and development, as well as to study the skill anyway, so no big deal.

I've ALWAYS gone for someone who is healthy and is not too extreme in to anything... healthy attitude and character are most important - but looking hot also helps ;)

The Chinese gal thing can be kinda like 'culture shock'. I know i have liked Chinese gals as well, actually ANY gal - not so picky ;):p

For me i'm lucky as i'm friends with someone who trains MA as well now :)

david

Arhat of Fury
08-20-2002, 11:41 AM
I think women like when I tell them(like a novelty), but then they hate when they see how much I actually train. During the week I have time for nothing more than work training and the gym.

I have always been attracted to asian/pacific islanders, so I would say it hasnt changed my preference, now I just notice more.

Its kinda like when you go out an buy a car(say a Lexus), now everytime you go somewhere you seem to see lexuses all over the place.

Peace,

AOF:D

red5angel
08-20-2002, 11:41 AM
Well, I dont think its nearly as tough as some make it out to be. Most o fthe women I have dated, and my wife now, get a kick, no pun intended, out of it. They think its great. Contrary to popular belief, most women like a masculine man, who is confident in himself. You dont have to be a meathead, and I think any intelligent women would realize that its not a bad things. dont mess with the ones who dont get it in my opinion, especially if they dont get it so much they want you to not do it!

Prairie
08-20-2002, 01:09 PM
It doesn't tend to take a long time for people I date to know I'm slightly obsessed with martial arts. After a short while, conversation invariably flows to what I or the other are interested in.

My fiance is not truly interested in martial arts at all. I think he has accepted that much of my non-work and non-school time is dedicated to practice. He will sometimes let me practice some things on him which is great because he's a fairly large fellow.

I've only dated one person who was also into kungfu. All I have to say with respect to that is that a relationship requires much more than a strong common interest.

Bye for Now

Crimson Phoenix
08-20-2002, 03:03 PM
I eventually tell the girls I date when replying once more "I have things to do" becomes an unsuitable answer for "why can't I see you on x day"...

The Willow Sword
08-20-2002, 03:05 PM
i mean i will tell them that i study martial arts,,but i dont use it as a means to impress upon them anything. if they are interested and ask me questions i will answer. most women that i have run into are not interested in it ,,,i mean they are but not interested in learning. like my current shag partner,,she is interested but not at the level where she is beggin me to go to the park and show her stuff.

she does like the fact that i am athletic and in shape and am able to keep up with her "appetites" so to speak.

i thank qigong and kung fu for that.

Many Respects,,,The Willow Sword

wooha
08-21-2002, 07:33 AM
I think if I was involved with anyone who didn't share my interest in martial arts, they'd soon get annoyed with the amount of time I spend training and leave me.

Luckily my girl trains just about as much as I do. :D

Repulsive Monkey
08-21-2002, 08:49 AM
"Shag Partner" is a top phrase mate!! I go along with exactly how you put it. I mention it if it is questioned I do nothing to bring it up as I just can't feel like it is worth using your art as a pulling tool. One of my last girlfriends took up Taiji at our school completely without any co-ersion on my part , she stayed there for a year, really dug it, and then started seeing my personal acupuncturist too. Strange then that when we split up she automatically dropped both!!!
Its a weird one I know but after 9 years of practicing an art it is your life and people have to accept that the commitment makes its so, so when when you get involved with others on a romantic or "shag" level at some point thy're gonna find out whether you use it to get laid or mention it out of their curiosity!

dezhen2001
08-21-2002, 10:45 AM
i think in the end just be yourself... no need to 'impress' on someone ur such an amazing guy or 'fighter' etc. as chances are u probably won't be sometime ;)

It's a part of my (and in general our) life (lives), so it's part of the package so to speak... someone who is interested should accept that, coz it's just who we 'are'. Like we would (should) accept any other part of them (other interests, hobbies, religion etc.)

If they're interested form their own motivation then it's great! Helps to stay healthy at least :) But it's not mandatory lol i know plenty of people who i can get along with who don't train gong fu or qigong. It's part of my life and enriches it greatly, but theres more to me that just that! (though sometimes i wonder :p)

just my thoughts,
david

Jimbo
08-23-2002, 09:52 PM
I find the women I've met don't seem to give a **** about martial arts, or at best are only mildly curious. Maybe I'm not finding the right women, or maybe it's the southern CA attitude that seems blase about almost everything.

Jim

The Willow Sword
08-24-2002, 07:32 AM
the classes that i was teaching when i was at SD. of course that was a big mistake. just because a girlf might be into martial arts doesnt really mean that they are the coolest chick on the planet. case in point: this woman i dated for a while seemed to be okay,,until i got to know her. she had the flexability of a 70 yr old man with alzheimers. and had no real comprehension of the forms she was doing. and to top it all off,,the sex was horrible. just layed there and expected ME to do all the **** work.
i hate Fu kkin a sack of potatoes man.

so beware my brothers. they might do kung fu but they might not be the Shag partner you want.

Many respects,,,The Willow Sword

Sharky
08-24-2002, 07:35 AM
i keep two things schtum until i really know the person, and even then i only a couple of people (that includes my family) know that i:

a) practice martial arts
b) rap

there is too much stigma surrounding them both, and when you tell people that you do either i tend to find it turns even the nicest people into a$$holes

Sharky
08-24-2002, 07:36 AM
and i only date girls that are in shape ;)

nospam
08-25-2002, 04:36 PM
I usually say...I teach MAs.

Does dating or a relationship 'it' get in my way of training? Life is full of distractions but "she" remains a long time mistress. So my departure is brief.

My MAs training has never influenced the type of person I am attracted to. Good lookn' is good lookn'.

Now, my body building has held influence in the past - in terms of 'preference'. I like a toned gal, not necessarily an athletic type but a gal who is active.

As I age, it becomes more of a cerebral attraction.

nospam.
:cool:

Leimeng
08-25-2002, 05:01 PM
~A big downside to serious study and progress in martial arts is lack of time and opportunity to date.
~I try to work out 3 hours or so a day, plus full time work, and church stuff, and classes. I also need to sleep, shower, do laundry, and eat.
~When would I have time to date?

Peace,

Sin Loi,

Yi Beng, Kan Xue

extreme
09-05-2002, 01:15 PM
I (finally) found a girl who's as keen on Martial Arts as i am.
prob is however, she's a jeet kune do / kickboxing girl.
I'm serously into kung fu and pankration, we've only
been going out a week now, but the debate have already started. still gotta find time to spar with her, currently most time with her is being spent on, ahem, other activites.
:D :D

dezhen2001
09-05-2002, 01:17 PM
then u don't need this thread :D
I've met someone who does TKD so that should be fun given the chance :)

david