PDA

View Full Version : Does the opposite sex dig your kung fu?

Fu-Pow
08-20-2002, 11:30 AM
Just curious what experiences guys/girls have had telling prospective mates (in the literal sense) about their kung fu?

Seems like I get a lot of blank stares or disbelief.

Do you think it's an asset or a liability?

Water Dragon
08-20-2002, 11:36 AM
Hi there, my names Fu-Pow. I'm a Taurus and if you don't let me buy you a drink, I'll kick you in the head.

It's your approach Bro.

Fu-Pow
08-20-2002, 11:47 AM
chuckle, chuckle :D

Nevermind
08-20-2002, 12:00 PM
I'll admit, I've used it a couple of times within the last week. Both times went over really well. They usually say something like, "Wow, that's pretty cool". Or, "Really? Maybe you can help me get into shape." One girl recently asked a whole bunch of questions about martial arts in general. Are their belts in your art? What style does Jackie Chan do? Is Bruce Lee in Rush Hour? I swear to god she was actually overheard asking someone that last one. I still can't believe it. Even still, she scored major points with me for either showing genuine interest, or faking it to get in good with me. Either way, I was impressed. But that Bruce Lee question......I dunno. (o:

Martial Joe
08-20-2002, 12:13 PM
I dont think the oposite sex knows about my kung fu.

Leto
08-20-2002, 12:14 PM
It depends on the person. If the gal (or guy) you're interested in is also a martial artist, then there's no problem. She probably won't be impressed with you unless you're at least a little better than her, though. ;)

Depends on what the girl is interested in...if she doesn't have enough in common with you to appreciate your martial arts (which is probably a big part of your life)...then you probably wouldn't be very good together anyways. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people that just don't get it.

Something that is a big part of your life should be addressed with any potential mate...you need to let her know what it means to you, and you need to know what she thinks about it...it could make a difference in a relationship. I'm sure there has been more than one martial artist that was 'dumped' because he(or she) was spending too much time training, and not enough time doing what the partner expected.

norther practitioner
08-20-2002, 12:22 PM
Depends, I've gotten mixed reactions. Some think I am the ****y kid from there 5th grade class that brought in my brown belt and did a form for show and tell. Some think that it is cool, ask a few questions, whatever. The girl that I am dating now I actually met in my school (kick boxing). So that always can generate good conversations, plus, when we go out, she likes to defend herself, which is fun because people don't expect that.

Royal Dragon
08-20-2002, 12:52 PM
Mine thinks I'm a total Schmoe because I'm not doing "Kempo" instead :rolleyes:

rubthebuddha
08-20-2002, 12:55 PM
mine doesn't care about it all that much. she knows it makes me happy, and that's what's important to her.

yeah, i'm lucky. :)

Kristoffer
08-20-2002, 12:56 PM
Women are idiots when it comes to MA. Let's leave it there. :rolleyes:

small
08-20-2002, 01:28 PM
This depends, entirely, on his / her age and background. Why wear all of your accomplishments like badges? Advertising your talents underlines your weaknesses.

Hau Tien
08-20-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
mine doesn't care about it all that much. she knows it makes me happy, and that's what's important to her.

yeah, i'm lucky. :)

I'm luckier :P I met my wife-to-be (THIS SATURDAY.. EEEK!) in our kung fu class. I'd been taking the kung fu a little longer than her, and she's been taking the luk hup ba fa side of it longer than me... it's a good balance:)

It's a huge part of our lives... The best is having a girl who shares the same strong passion for an art that you do!:)

dysContinuum
08-20-2002, 02:48 PM
Hau Tien - Congratulations(?) : )

Since I've been involved in kung fu, I've often thought about the possibility of meeting a future signifigant other who shares my passion for the martial arts. Good ones are far and few between and the good ones that have at least enough knowledge about kung fu to know there is different styles are rarer still.

In response to the original question:
I would say my confidence level in general has improved greatly since I began my martial training and thus, even if I never mention my kung fu, its working to my advantage :D .

Nevermind
08-20-2002, 02:56 PM
I would love to meet my soulmate at my kung fu school. There is also a cardiokickboxing class that attracts a lot of hot women. So maybe someday it will happen. (ha ha)

P.S. Congrats Hau Tien. Are you named after Bruce's character in the original script of Game of Death.

The Willow Sword
08-20-2002, 02:57 PM
the opposite sex that i am currently with Really digs MY kung-fu. and i aint talkin about my kicks.
i got buchu jing ,,oh yes baby you know it .:D

Skarbromantis
08-20-2002, 04:04 PM
I’m lucky because I train with my son, so the common law wife doesn’t say much when it comes to training, because she knows it helps me and the boy bond, plus she likes the training, I have shown her a couple blocks and strikes, she is planning on joining the tai chi class I go to, that will be real cool.

Skard1

Royal Dragon
08-20-2002, 05:52 PM
I can't even talk about martial arts with mine, or we end up fighting :(

straight blast
08-20-2002, 07:32 PM
My wife used to do Kung Fu with me when we lived in another area. We also did Tai Chi (one of the fighting styles, not the elderly relaxation therapy!) and she was good at Kung Fu, and even better at Tai Chi. She had the patience to relax in Tai Chi and I think that was what set her apart from the rest of us testosterone crazed goons ;) . But our Sifu's wife was very insane...used to sit in class and cast curses on anybody who didn't respect her as a teacher (even though she was only a beginner) and she hated the girls in the class. She made life for all the females so difficult that my Sifu lost 3 clubs (including an Aikido class he had) because he refused to control her.

As such my wife doesn't train anymore... but she understands my passion and she has expressed an interest in Tai Chi again :) .

Here's hoping it comes soon!

And oh yes, she certainly does dig my Kung Fu!

Hau Tien
08-20-2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Nevermind
P.S. Congrats Hau Tien. Are you named after Bruce's character in the original script of Game of Death.

Thanks:) I'm really excited:) BTW... some of you guys may have seen her post on here as well... as "Lisa"...

Anyway... about the Game of Death... nope... Hau Tien (Or to be more specific, Dai Hau Tien) was the Chinese name given to me in Taiwan when I was there teaching English in 2001. The teachers at the school gave it to me because my real name doesn't transliterate well into Chinese.

But... I didn't know it was a Bruce Lee character name... that's kinda cool:)

nospam
08-20-2002, 08:16 PM
When I do my Golden Ape Tripod stance....I dunno, the chiqs just luv it.

I usually win them over when I do my Ralph Machio move...especially to the theme song of SWAT - for some reason I still have a cassette of it in the dash of my 82 yellow Vega. When my buddies and I are cruising the local highschool...it never fails.

nospam.
:cool:

Royal Dragon
08-20-2002, 08:35 PM
They were still making Vega's in 82???

I think I had a 72 Vega in my youth (or was it a 76? I don't remeber anymore). We tried to cram a small block Chevy V8 into it. It was apparently to rusty, and actually twisted from to many hard starts at the stop lights!!!:D

Shadow Dragon
08-20-2002, 08:54 PM
Hi.

My better half got into TCC together with me. She ended up being better than me.

In the meatntime she stopped to attend the lil' one, but she is happy that I continue and might go back when the young one is older.

My MA practice never worried her, but my Bikes frightened the hell out of her when we were dating.
Go figure.

Cheers.

SevenStar
08-20-2002, 09:03 PM
chicks don't really care what style I take - they care that I fight. When they find out I've been in the ring, I guess they start thinking I'm a bad boy, or real adventurous or something. The night of my first fight, girls were screaming when I cam out, and screaming harder when I won. I had a crowd around me after it was over. Now that the majority of my time is spent grappling, they still go crazy when they find out I do judo and bjj. I'm married now though, so I can't take advantage of it anymore. My wife hates martial arts, but like all the other women, she thinks it's cool that I fight.

The moral of the story is - If you want chicks, fight. If you want cute chicks, win. :D

IronFist
08-20-2002, 10:44 PM
They think it's awesome until they find out it's not the flashy stuff.

IronFist

rubthebuddha
08-20-2002, 10:47 PM
hau tien,

aye, quite lucky are you. even better news for me? mine says she'll let me train our kids. :)

Nexus
08-20-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
They think it's awesome until they find out it's not the flashy stuff.

IronFist

That's why every martial artist knows at least one completely useless totally amazing to watch form which he saves for special occasions.

:D

neito
08-21-2002, 12:36 AM
-since so many m.a. people are realy crappy i doubt that it helps much initially. but if they actually observe your skill that might be different. also the mannerisms you have learned or your fitness level gained by kung-fu may make a difference without her knowing it.

KnightSabre
08-21-2002, 01:40 AM
I met my current girlfriend at martial arts so we definately have the same love for it.

On another note,at my school I teach these two sisters,they are
really very good looking and have amazing bodies.
Anywayz the one day I was teaching the class the armbar and triangle drills from the guard and explaining to them how important hip motion and flexibility is.
I was demonstrating on one of the guys when one of the sisters remarked "You must be really good at sex",she also did it in a dead pan face,I was like "well,um geez,caught me totally by suprise. ;)

wooha
08-21-2002, 07:20 AM
My girlfriend trains Capoeira with me. In fact that's where we met. She seems to like the fact that I do martial arts, so that gives me a good reason to train harder.

It's great to be with someone that shares one of your biggest passions in life. :D

Gigante
08-21-2002, 08:31 AM
My wife encourages my training, i don't think it impressed her when I first told her I was training MA, but then she doesn't understand how deadly and dangerous I am.. someday I'll get into a fight and show her...
:p

meltdawn
08-21-2002, 09:28 AM
Every guy I know seems to have a different view. Some guys have the "Zena Effect". They think I'm invincible. Other guys are still in the stone ages and insist on constantly telling me "I can still kick your ass" even when I don't bring it up. Some like to joke around and play hit me and when they get tagged they end up hating me for 6 months.

My own husband thought it was cool when I started kung fu. He was fine with the other stuff I did - fencing, shooting, etc. But when I started sparring, it really affected him. He doesn't like to see me with black eyes. When I strain a muscle he says "you need to lay off the kung fu for a while".

Oh well.

greendragon
08-21-2002, 09:46 AM
I get "you already know kung-fu, why keep going to class? are you afraid someone is going to beat you up?"

Godzilla
08-21-2002, 12:12 PM
Everyone at the office knows I am a Karate man because whenever I take a dump I bring along the latest Black Belt Magazine.

Once I posted about the sexiest woman at work asking about my ‘Karate’. So sexy was she that if wifey wasn’t looking I might throw caution to the wind and pollinate her flower.

Sexy Woman: “Can you show me some moves.”
Godzilla: “Sure. Give me your hand.”

And a sexy hand it was! Soft and tingly as we touched – magic was in the air. I brushed back her sleeve and noticed her supple wrist. We interlocked fingers as I tried to decide what to show her. We drew closer. I could feel her breath on my neck. She smelled wonderful. Her hair glistened. I became aroused and sensed her arousal too.

Godzilla: “How about this?”

I quickly brought her to one knee as I applied more pressure with the wrist lock.

Sexy Woman: “OKAY, ENOUGH! That’s fine, I don’t want to see anymore, thanks.”

I apologized as I left and thought I heard her call me an a.sshole.

Yeah, they dig me.

Godzilla

Royal Dragon
08-21-2002, 05:16 PM
You BLEW IT!!, You should have just KISSED HER, not continue with showing technique :rolleyes:

dezhen2001
08-21-2002, 05:38 PM
RD: i think he KNOWS he blew it :D Still, props for having such single minded MA focus and doing the wrist lock :)

david

TaoBoy
08-21-2002, 05:39 PM
I've met two girls through kung fu. I spent about 2 years with the first - it didn't end up working (FYI - she was also one of my instructors). Now, I am with a girl I met at my current school (she's actually my junior - lol) - and everything is working out well.

So, yeah, I guess the chicks do dig my kung fu!! :D

dezhen2001
08-21-2002, 05:47 PM
coz i'm usually standing doing a 1/2 hour Siu Lim Tao or Zhan Zhuang... not the most impressive looking thing :D

david

African Tiger
08-21-2002, 09:48 PM
Chicks dig guys that can take care of themselves, especially if they have a cool demeanor.

I mentioned in passing to this girl (who happens to have a boyfriend) that I study kf and she was all over me. Not the way I'd like her to be, but it's a start. She actually conned me into teaching her some kenpo self defense stuff.

Lately she's been telling all her friends that I'm a bad ass. Of course, she's right :D...but well, us kf guys have to keep that cool demeanor, you dig?

Satanachia
08-22-2002, 05:32 AM
That's why every martial artist knows at least one completely useless totally amazing to watch form which he saves for special occasions

Truer words have never been spoken.

Chicks don't dig my kung fu. Why? Cause thanks to my other martial artsy friends, they all keep referring to it as karate or tae kwon do :mad:

Helicopter
08-22-2002, 07:14 AM
My partner tolerates my Kung Fu, she says she 'thinks it's great, that I do kung fu, but it doesn't hold much interest for her and she slightly begrudges the time I spend doing it. And gives me withering looks when I practice around the house and thinks every mark on the walls in the hall are from my trainers. (They are but I won't admit it.)

Kung Fu is my mistress. :)

{Ps. My Mum's always asks me how my 'Judo' is going. Arrgh!! KUNG FU! KUNG FU! }

friday
08-22-2002, 07:31 AM
my gf was ok with my kung fu until i started training fulltime then she got upset becos all i talked about was kung fu kung fu kung fu
becos all i did was kung fu kung fu kung fu
if she wanted to see me i'd be doing kung fu kung fu...etcetc
anyway i think u get the hint by now. i often trained till around 11-12 at nite before i went home. hmmm i know crazy :)

anyway now i neglect my kung fu and spend more time with my gf :P

Godzilla
08-22-2002, 08:17 AM
>>>RD: i think he KNOWS he blew it Still, props for having such single minded MA focus and doing the wrist lock

Thanks David! (hahaha)

>>>Kung Fu is my mistress. (hahaha)

Mine too!

This is true – and proof what a MA fanatic I truly am (and idiot as well!). Recently, same sexy woman asked me again to show her how to get out of a bear hug. I turned my back towards her and lifted my arms. “Place your arms around my waist and squeeze tightly.” I said. She did. I felt her beautiful breasts press into my back. Hmmm I thought – she digs me, maybe I will ask her to lunch.

“Like this?” she asked. Her breath was on the back of my neck. The warmth from her body comforted me as I thought about kissing her hard on the mouth.

I gently slid my hands down her arms finding her hands clasped together around my waist, inches above my zipper. This is rare I thought. Wifey hasn’t hugged me this tightly in years. In fact I haven’t been this turned on since last years vacation in the Pocono’s.

Suddenly, without thought, I strongly dug my knuckle into the top of her hand! Her grip released as I hung on applying destructive force as I drove her to the floor in an armbar.

“OK, FINE!” she said, her face pressed against the closely cropped office quality pile carpet. “THANKS AGAIN.”

I pulled her to her feet and she brushed herself off. Her face was red where the carpet scratched her. She immediately went to the ladies room.

Peace,
Godzilla

TkdWarrior
09-15-2002, 06:43 AM
well ppl here refer MA as judokarate(both together) lol
and TKD doesn't hold respect too... as i m doing TKD and TC(most of them don't know wat the hell it is, i tell them i m dancing :D)
so i don't get my attention divided :(
untill i beat crap out of someone...:D
yea i remember one pretty lookin gal dumped her bf cause i was able to beat the crap out of him in front of her... lol hahaha....

anyways No one Digs in here :cool:
gals don't care, guys r ignorant a$$es...

-TkdWarrior-