PDA

View Full Version : Sparring Sessions

Excession
08-20-2002, 03:32 PM
Due to the nature of the classes given where I train there is very little sparring other than a bit of San Shou. I have a growing interest in self-defense and making sure I can fight (outside the ring that is). Other than that I'm very happy with the school and have very little time/money/inclination to join another .

I've been toying with the idea of getting a group of ppl together to train with self-defense in mind?.Outside of a Martial Art's school environment, what would be the best way of doing this?(Sparring, info on criminals/attacks, weapons) And what training format would be appropriate? (Dont mean to be rude but no opinions on safety and qualifications to do this, assume thats all in order)

Thankyou

mysteri
08-20-2002, 09:15 PM
in my opinion, i really think ur on the right track b/c from a lot of people i encounter, even people who have studied MA for years, they don't have good self-denfense skills. it's kinda like they were taught to run before they could crawl or walk. it's good for beginners to learn all the basics of their systems for the first couple of years. but this is also the time where they should be learning also basic self-defense concepts and not fighting concepts. i know plenty of people who can "fight", but dont know how to defend themselves b/c they tried to walk before they crawled. once u can learn to defend urself in basic 1-3 technique applications, u get a better understanding of learning how to actually be on the offensive. whatever u do, like i said before, any good self-defense technique should usually never be more than 1-3 techniques max. because the more complicated and risky it is, the harder it will be to perform. be really careful if ur gonna do applications to soft or vulnerable spots like the eyes, throat, and groin. usually the best self-defense applications i've seen are quick straight-foward strikes to these places (or cupping the ear) but these are also very dangerous techniques and could cause very serious injury (or not death in some cases). so like i said, use extreme caution. the best thing to do would be to ask a qualified sihing (or ur sifu) to maybe teach one or two self-defense applications each week before or after class. if u keep it like this, there's a better chance of u learnin the self-defense reflex as long as u work on them consistently. before long, u'll know a few simple techniques that work well for u to quickly dissolve a confrontation. sorry, i'm really not of liberty to give specific techniques. i hope u understand. jus my 2 cents...

HuangKaiVun
08-23-2002, 11:19 AM
Just find a partner and try your moves out.