PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on egotistical student

Kungfu boy
08-20-2002, 03:39 PM
Hi All,

I need help with this one kid who goes to my school. He's been doing thai for almost a year now and I he is getting on my nerves. He doesn't listen to me or other students, he has bad form. He doesn't kick right and keeps dropping his hands while boxing. When we spar and I get into clinch with him I'll lightly place a few elbows on his head(just letting him know GAME OVER) and then I'll release by saying "break". As we break, he'll usually take a swing at me and sometimes land a face shot. Then he'll start laughing and say "I got you dude". Well frankly, he would have been knocked silly by the elbows.

Now here is the main concern, this frigg'n retard just went and got himself into a kickboxing tournament here in Houston. Rul;es are everything above the waist, no knees or elbows. His opponnet has about onr year exp. at a karate school around here, he thinks he's gonna win easy. WRONG!!! 1st karate guys are more adept at kicking above the waist. 2nd, since he doesn't kick right and loses balance easily, his kicks will be useless. 3rd, the kid just sux.

He wanted to work with me at Bally's so I said okay but no whining. Every time I call, he's not there at home. Even on days he knew we'd go. Then he has the gall to call me and tell me to meet him there at a certian time. SCREW THAT! My major pet peeve was that he wasn't going to tell our teacher. I was like "you need to, its the proper thing". I finally MADE him. I don't know what to do with the brat. Everyone knows he will lose his fight, badly. Maybe he just needs to get his butt kicked. What do you guys think?

{i^(
08-20-2002, 04:06 PM
Allow him to. Let him suffer the consequences, and when he blames you (which he will) be silent, no reproaches. Let him figure it out because:

There's NOTHING like getting your 4ss handed to you to make you re-think what you are doing!!!!!

So, sure, he'll avoid you. So what? He's outa your hair for the time being.

yenhoi
08-20-2002, 04:26 PM
challenge him to a deathmatch.

No_Know
08-20-2002, 04:29 PM
Slap the top of his head instead of placing elbow there. make him hurt becasue of bad technique when he corrects it don't hurt him there. You should be able to time when he cheap shots you after you say break Just cover your face and slap him in his. Then say I said break, that means no more techniques thrown. If he said you hit me you say you might not have heard me as you were trying to sucker punch me at the time, Now break. These should act as seeds to make adjustments And when he gives a time do it. Some people stand off to make excuses like Well I called and said when to be there (the fact that you did the same first; doesn't register with some people). S (needle-and-thread) don't give hime room for an excuse to not train~

Perhaps some-such some might say whatever whatever very good.

Kungfu boy
08-20-2002, 06:39 PM
I get to work him to the ground on thursday. My teacher told me to make it clear to him that he has no chance whatsoever. I mean, the kid doesn't even have the cardio for it. He has a hard time finishing the normal class, how can he possibily last in a fight? I'm gonna have some FUN!!!!! And on friday I get to spar with him...HARD! This shall be a very educational week for him. He doesn't have a prayer. MUWAHAHAHA!!!!!!

SevenStar
08-20-2002, 08:22 PM
two things.

1. let him get his arse kicked in the fight.

2. in class, don't teach him anything. repeatedly kick his arse when you spar. if the others in class know what his weaknesses are, tell them to exploit them and kick his arse. Eventually he'll realize that something is wrong. Either he'll fix it on his own, or he'll learn to ask for help.

Kungfu boy
08-21-2002, 02:23 AM
Ah Seven, why can't I just kill' em?!!! Why?!!!!!! Next you'll tell me not to break his ribs or nose on friday. Your no fun dude....

Good suggestions though. He will get his arse kicked though very throroughly on friday. We got a few surprises for him to see. It'll be a blast, I just love popping peoples egos. HAHAHA

I won't teach him jack crap though. He has really wasted my time in class and I feel working with him constantly has made my skill deteriorate. I don't really have to try when I'm with him. And on top of that, when I try to get a workout with him he whines about me going too hard.

Thanks Sevenstar and all you guys. I'm gonna try it Seven's way 1st, if that don't work there is always yenhoi's approach.(which when I think about it, it gives me a kinda warm feeling)

NPMantis
08-21-2002, 08:31 AM
Hey there,

I agree with everything everyone has said. Personally I think he needs to be a taught a very small lesson in humility.

There is a guy in my class who has gone a little longer than me but thinks he is good, but he basically doesn't chance a chance sparring against me as he doesn't understand the basics (or anything else for that matter!). Anyway, a week ago we were running through a technique and he deliberately side-kicked me full power in the ribs (after missing out the first half of the technique - I think he just wanted to hit me). He told me it is a good lesson for me. I disagree, it would be a good lesson in sparring but we were just running through a technique. So he rushed in again and I hit him in the face, not hard, just enough to let him know and after that he was a little scared to continue training with me. The other members of the class have the same problem with him and don't particularly want to train with him either. He kept coming up me and whining for the rest of the lesson but basically he is being ok now. I don't understand it, we're all at class to help each other, not try to outdo each other (except in sparring!).

Anyway, I hope this helps a little,

I wish you the best of luck!

NPM

SevenStar
08-21-2002, 01:54 PM
Okay, tell ya what. We'll make it fun. use the suggestions I gave above, but with a twist. after you spar him the first time, if he doesn't seem to notice something is wrong, knock him unconscious the next time you spar. after that, if he acts the same way, hit him in the head with an elbow or two. the third time, break his nose, and the fourth, break a rib.

Kungfu boy
08-21-2002, 05:19 PM
The SevenStar 12 step program! Whats the next step? Maiming? Oh how about gouging out an eye or maybe breaking a shin bone? Oh I know, INTERNAL BLEEDING!!!!!

Hahahahaha

{i^(
08-21-2002, 07:00 PM
The guy you described sounds like he's got a cruel streak coupled with a lazy disposition. Good for you, putting him down like that! You really do find out the character of those you spar with....POP that ego!!!

Hau Tien
08-21-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
Okay, tell ya what. We'll make it fun. use the suggestions I gave above, but with a twist. after you spar him the first time, if he doesn't seem to notice something is wrong, knock him unconscious the next time you spar. after that, if he acts the same way, hit him in the head with an elbow or two. the third time, break his nose, and the fourth, break a rib.

My Sifu would kick my a$$ if I did something like that to someone my junior.

And he'd be right to do so.

I agree completely with teaching the kid a lesson. I've done something recently with a person in my class. But there's no reason to physically hurt the guy, unless you have no control.

Qi dup
08-21-2002, 09:55 PM
As much as I like the idea of a deathmatch, I don't think you should go so hard on him. Everyone knows he should be taught a lesson, but this guy deffinatly has some issues and just kicking his ass probably isn't going to help him. unless ofcorse he is really open and it doesn't quite sound like that. My suggestion is to spar with him like you had planned. Block everything he has. Have you ever seen in the Kung Fu movies when the 'master' or someone is proving they are better in a match? They usually just make there oponent look foolish. This is what I suggest. Flick his ears, do three stooges stuff, litteraly kick him in the ass, etc. After that have a good laugh with him and have the whole class take him out for a beer. once he has had a few drinks and cools off, then be nice and explain the whole thing to him. I think you should be the bigger man here. These are just my thoughts, I'm sure you know what the right thing to do is. peace.

SevenStar
08-21-2002, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Hau Tien

My Sifu would kick my a$$ if I did something like that to someone my junior.

And he'd be right to do so.

I agree completely with teaching the kid a lesson. I've done something recently with a person in my class. But there's no reason to physically hurt the guy, unless you have no control.

:rolleyes:

It was a joke dude. I'm dead serious about the first post, but the one you quoted was a joke, as KFB complained that I didn't tell him to break something.

Qi dup
08-21-2002, 10:30 PM
sounds like death match talk to me:)

NPMantis
08-22-2002, 02:42 AM
Thanks man. You're so right, when I spar with people I always take the most care not to injure anyone, I'd rather lose than cause someone an injury - it's a shame not everyone feels like this in my class!

Kungfu boy
08-22-2002, 03:33 AM
I won't really hurt him.... much. The reason I was told to spar him hard was for 2 reasons:

1. Show him what his opponet will do to him, as I may pull my punches but he won't.

2. Show him he doesn't have a prayer in the fight.

We have tried to explain to him he will lose this fight, nicely. But the kid won't listen so I have no sympathy for him. He has a holier than thou attitude and I just think the kid needs to be straightened out some. And all in all, the worst thing is this kid is representing my school and instructor. Frankly I'm embarrassed for my teacher to have this kid use his name.

Thanks for all the advice. After this Friday I'm not gonna waste my time with him anymore. He isn't worth my time in class or at Bally's.

Later

wooha
08-22-2002, 06:53 AM
Just imagine what might happen if the dude goes to the contest and due to some freak occurence somehow wins the fight.

What are you going to do with him then?

Sorry, just trying to put horrible thoughts in your head. :D

Qi dup
08-22-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Kungfu boy
And all in all, the worst thing is this kid is representing my school and instructor. Frankly I'm embarrassed for my teacher to have this kid use his name.

Good point.

inyo
08-22-2002, 10:08 AM
When you spar with him go hard,the rest of the time ignore him.My japanese master gave the students he liked and that showed promise a real hard time during training.If he didn't like certain students he ignored them.Their loss,they learn't nothing and eventually left.

Kungfu boy
08-22-2002, 02:28 PM
Thats an evil thought dude. What would I do to him then? I'd go yell at his opponnet!

Me: "How can you lose to this punk?!"

His Coach: "Leave the boy alone, he's a paraplegic."

Hahaha

PLCrane
08-22-2002, 07:55 PM
We have a tradition in our school called "Dragon's Revenge." If someone abuses the training relationship when you're practicing techniques, it's perfectly acceptable to use equal force (or cunning) when it's you're turn. This tends to keep partners working with each other instead of against each other.

SevenStar
08-23-2002, 06:22 PM
I like that idea.

Kungfu boy
08-26-2002, 03:38 PM
Hi All

This Friday I worked him hard. We made with work his punching form/speed/strength. It was really sad ya'll. After we let him break for 5-10 minutes we sparred. I went faster than usual but only at about 30-40% strength. I landed stuff that should have never even gotten close. I was getting high kicks of that I hadn't even attempted in like 3 yrs. I think it was a real wake up call for him. He always talked trash about being better than me at boxing etc. but I think I made my point that he needs to shut up and train. Less talk more action. This week will be harder on his cardio and in sparring. I'll probably go about 50% on him

Later Guys

NPMantis
08-27-2002, 02:42 AM
Ha ha, well done, good on you!

Kristoffer
08-27-2002, 04:07 AM
Cudos.. I hate those kind of morons.. Give him a side-kick from me will ya? peace