PDA

View Full Version : Not getting enough from the school

Kungfu boy
08-21-2002, 02:33 AM
Hi All,

I got a problem I am sure has effected at least some of you. Right now I feel I'm not getting much from the school I'm going to. I am constantly paired up to the most pain in the arse student(see the "egotistical student" thread for more) . And I rarely am getting a good work out, or really being faced with challenges, except sparring on fridays. Most of the "good" guys have pretty weird schedules so they are rarely in class. That being said even if they are there they usually help with other students.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Muay Thai. I love the instructor, he is the coolest guy I have ever had as a teacher. This is the kind of guy that you can joke around with and have fun while your training. I don't know if I should go to him and talk to him about it or not. I just feel that in the last few months I've kind of "stalled" if you know what I mean.

For those of you who have had this happen, what did you guys do?

Thanks

NPMantis
08-21-2002, 08:23 AM
Hey,

I am happy with my school however I felt I was stuck in a rut for a while so I took 1-2 months off and looked at other styles then realised the grass wasn't greener and went back to mantis and I am not much more focussed on what I want to achieve and have a much more enjoyable time training. Everyone needs a little time off from time to time if it feels right.

Personally I'd try talking to your instructor about what you're feeling and ask for his advice, or ask him not to pair you up with this other guy or whatever. If you still don't feel happy leave the school or take some time off - there is more than 1 good MA school near you I'm sure.

Let me know what you decide,

Take care,

NPM

Kungfu boy
08-22-2002, 03:41 AM
I am taking monday-thursday off so I can rest myself and get used to working a new position at work. I work for UPS(under paid slaves) and have a very physical job. Its mon-fri thing and I work out tues/thurs/fri/sat/sun. So all my days are filled with something physical and I am burned out. So I am taking a few days off.

One of my friends(a fellow student) suggest I lay off my thai for a while and try making the jkd/kali classes. I might try that for a while, if anything it is less physical stress.

I'll keep ya posted.

dbulmer
08-22-2002, 11:46 AM
KungFu Boy,

Try a little relaxation - it's a pity about your training partner- he's about to learn the hard way ! Talk to your instructor - that's what he's there for ! He'll probably have experienced the same thing and probably doesn't want to lose a good student.

NPMAntis,
What happened with the Wing Chun? Did something put you off it?

yu shan
08-22-2002, 10:19 PM
In our school, everyone gets a piece of everyone, tall or short, you stand toe to toe.

It would be a good thing to take your Teacher out for food and talk. Teachers like that sort of thing :)

Too bad folks get stuck in a rut, this is time for vacation! But do you communicate with your teacher that you will be taking this hiatus?

KF training as we all know is intense. Pencil in time for you and what makes you relax, the body and mind needs some down/fun time=girlfriend :)

jun_erh
08-24-2002, 02:45 PM
don't be afraid to be a little bit of a pain in the ass. It's your money

yu shan
08-24-2002, 09:23 PM
Being paired off with the "ego" guy should be a blessing. Just beat the sh*t out of him, this cures an ego.

If you are not happy with your training, sit down and talk with your teacher!

NPMantis
08-25-2002, 03:11 AM
Yeah, at first it was great but then I started to miss mantis and I feel the style is more suited to me, I missed the grappling and style, etc. so I went back. WC is good but I don't think any 1 style is the best, I think so long as you do a good style which doesn't involve 17 move traping techniques which don't work and instead utilises minimum movement, etc. you can before very good in whatever style.

You agree mate?

dragontounge2
08-25-2002, 07:52 AM
Take some time off and try and condense what you have learned.

dbulmer
08-25-2002, 08:47 AM
NPMantis,
You gave it a shot - mucho respect for you! If it's rekindled your love of Mantis then good for you!

And it's always good to continue what you enjoy - in my case WC in yours Mantis.

Best of luck!
Dave Bulmer

NPMantis
08-25-2002, 01:04 PM
Cheers mate.

TaoBoy
08-25-2002, 07:11 PM
I have found in my years of training that there are always ups and downs in my feelings toward training. Don't get me wrong - I *always* want to train, but sometimes it feels like I'm getting nowhere. I have found you just have to work through these times. Sometimes I'll take a week off to refocus. And I always talk to my instructor about how I am travelling/feeling. It is important that you keep focussed as a student and that your instructor knows how you are going in your training.