PDA

View Full Version : A reply to Sifu Jew Hung Loong

extrajoseph
08-31-2001, 12:42 PM
Dear Sifu Jew Hung Loong

Let me tell you the history of how Jeong Yim began his training with Chan Heung, perhaps you would not then make the wild claim that he and Chan Heung both founded CLF. This instance was told by Chan Heung and was recorded in writing by his grandson Chan Yiu-Chi. If you disagree, at least check their age difference.

Jeong Yim was from the Tong Kai Village in Sun Wun, not very far from King Mui. His father was a stonemason and loved martial arts. He studied Hung Gar and wanted his son to excel in Kung Fu as well. He called his son the nickname “Hung Sing”, meaning Victorious Hung (Gar), as an encouragement.

Both Jeong Yim‘s family and Chan Heung were in Hong Kong at the time. Jeong Yim’s father went to see a tournament where Chan Heung knocked down an almost seven feet tall Russian Boxer. He was so impressed that he took his little boy to see Chan Heung afterwards and insisted that Jeong Yim be taken as Chan Heung’s disciple and made his son kneeled down in front of Chan Heung.

Seeing that Jeong Yim is also a “Tong Heun” (one who came from the same region) and he looked quite smart for a little boy, Chan Heung accepted the request without hesitation and Jeong Yim’s father was so happy that he paid for the food and drinks for the victory celebration as a token of appreciation.

Jeong Yim quickly proved that he was indeed a protégée and joined Chan Heung’s two sons, On Pak and Koon Pak and also his eldest disciple Loong Gee-Choi in training. Ten years later, when Chan Heung was invited to teach in Singapore, he took Jeong Yim with him while his two sons and Loong Gee-Choi stayed behind to look after his school.

In light of the above, your claim that Jeong Yim was the co-founder of CLF and that Jeong Yim AKA Jeong Hung Sing’s Hung Sing was the only name allowed to be placed in front of Choy Lee Fut made little sense. Do you know that the Chinese character for “Hung” in Jeong Hung Sing is different to “Hung” in Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut? The former means “great” as in “hung shui” or “great water”, (ie. Flood), and the latter means “hero’ as in “ying hung”. Sifu Jew, can you read and write Chinese? If you can, then you know what I mean.

As for Chen Yong Fa, he has never made the claim that he is the “jeong mun yan” of the entire Choy Lee Fut family, nor has his father or his grandfather or his great grand father. Not even his great-great grandfather for that matter. He is the fifth direct descendant of Chan Heung and as such he can be considered as the “jeong mun yan”, or keeper of the style, of his Chen family Choy Lee Fut, which you have kindly concurred. So there is no dispute here.

If you claimed that your sifu, Jew Tien Loong is the “Jeong Mun Yan” of the American Hung Sing CLF, then it is up to the American Hung Sing practitioners to agree or disagree. You have traced your lineage to Prof. Lau Bun, I wonder how some of his other disciples and students would feel about your claim. I suppose if they ever tried to dispute this, they will have another thing coming!

Peace be with you, my brother.
Joseph