PDA

View Full Version : Very good site on the psychology/science of combat

Former castleva
08-21-2002, 01:59 PM
I was surfing trough this web of sites (army combatives,lots of stuff on that etc.)
This site I picked is actually from the bouncer section of the site map http://www.stormpages.com/handtohand22/page62.htm
Good insight to psychology,animal-to-human attitude and some medical stuff (reptile brain etc.)
This makes me think of getting that precious book on this issue back from www.taijiworld.com from free books section (reptilian brain and other related material).

Former castleva
08-22-2002, 03:15 AM
Any responses?

Cody
08-22-2002, 08:18 AM
looks interesting, but I haven't had time to get to this. Bookmarked the sites.

Cody

Suntzu
08-22-2002, 08:58 AM
I like reading stuff like that… even tho I haven't read this one yet… but I will when I get a sec… it's tru that MOST of your training goes out of the window when the sh!t hit the fan so to speak… I've never been in 'survival mode" but in my ring experience most of what has been documented i have felt/seen/experience... the tunnel vision, the loss of memory( i still cant remember all of my last fight ), the 'loss' of hearing... sometimes thing move to fast to know what going on and so slow it's unreal... fighting for life or sport its a surreal thing... i'm a strong believer in learning a few techniques really well... why learn a million techniques when 2/3rds fly out the window when u need it... and the only way to make sure they work under stress is to practice under stress...

Former castleva
08-22-2002, 11:24 AM
Thanks.I was already quite afraid that this would sink.

Which is a bit bizarre for me is the idea of keeping your cool and your animality out of the way in a manner,know what I mean? Classic MA/budo/zen setting to avoid distraction.
Or just go berserk like a madman,grab their hair and slam them repetitively.
I note though that the first one is probably much better choise for a trained person,and more ethical in a way.

Suntzu
08-22-2002, 12:52 PM
Easier said than done… but it does work… there are times when, especially after a flurry, when I 'tell' my self to calm down and can think "ok, do this, do that"… but once the heart rate goes up and the body goes thru its reactions… well, theres not much I can do about it but ride it out... but i'm still basically a beginner... thru stressful practice, theoretically, i should be able to combat the body's responses and have more control over the tunnel vision, etc... but if i'm walkin down the street, mindin; my own and someone jumps out and attacks or whatever... will i have the same control... i dont know...

TaoBoy
08-22-2002, 04:58 PM
Haven't had a chance to read it in it's entirety - I gotta do some work sometime - but what I've read is good stuff. Concise and accurate. I have bookmarked it for future reference. Thanks FC.

Former castleva
08-23-2002, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I remember the book from taijiworld.com was called "reflex violence" i think,it discusses this idea in great depth.
http://www.taijiworld.com/download/Free_books.htm