PDA

View Full Version : Southern Lion Dance

Alpline Tiger
08-21-2002, 02:05 PM
"Lion Dancer's Only"

Are there any strong Lion Dancer's out there? If so who are your competitor's?

What part of the country do they live in?

Who is the best Lion Dancer's?

Who is your Sifu?

What is the name of your school.

How long have you been competing?

I see Lion Dance in a lot of kung fu movies.

iron man
08-21-2002, 03:04 PM
what is a lion dance?

sorry if thats a stupid question i just started taking kungfu acouple of months ago

Yum Cha
08-21-2002, 05:41 PM
Yes, our Pak Mei school does lion dance here in Sydney. August Moon Festival we will be dancing on the 8th of September in Chinatown.

But, we are far from the best in Sydney. I think the Choi Li Fut, Chinese Masonic Society and of course Yau Kung Mun are amongst the best I've seen.

Yau Kung Mun is know worldwide for their Lion Dancing skill, and their performances in Sydney are very professional.

I don't know that "competitors" is a precise term with lion dancing. Sure, there are Lion Dancing competitions, and a bit or rivalry, but for the most part, it is a cultural thing, a community involvement, and a tradition.

CLFNole
08-21-2002, 07:09 PM
Yau Kung Mun is also well-known for their lion dancing over here in the USA. I have seen them along with the Bak Hok in San Francisco both were very good. They are some of the few that practice on the high posts, typical lion dancing here in the US is more old style traditional.

I have also heard that the people in Malaysia are really good at the high stuff, some of the best in world so I have heard.

As Yum Cha said lion dancing is more of a cultural thing done at Chinese New Year and other special events.

Peace.

Gold Horse Dragon
08-21-2002, 08:41 PM
Hi There,

We have a good team and are into traditional LD.

See links for info on TLD:

http://www.mts.net/~sillum/LD c.htm

and

http://www.mts.net/~sillum/art4.htm

GHD

fiercest tiger
08-22-2002, 03:59 PM
Here in sydney YKM and i think CYL(chinese youth league) are pretty good as ykm did teach them in the early days.hehehe as well as the others you mentioned.

Hey, whats the dates of your mo si this august moon? Ill jet down to chinatown to say hi!:)

Ours is the 21st and 22nd, the 22nd will be chinatown with the mui fa jong at the end, in dixon street, anyone that would love to come and see YKM lion dance its on the 22nd in the after noon, look for us going around getting the lucky money (ly see).

later
Garry FT:)

Yum Cha
08-22-2002, 05:50 PM
8 September, and we're taking a bunch of first-timers out. It should be "interesting" <grin>. My only thought is that this may be the first time in 15 years when I don't come home with footprints all over my shirt.

Chinese youth league is probably what I was thinking when I said Masonic Society, or do both have teams? Didn't Sifu Cheung Leung sponsor them in the olden days, or something like that?

What time of day on the 22nd do you think you'll be doing the mui fa jong? Who does the dancing? Is Hilton still around?

bong
08-22-2002, 05:50 PM
In the DC area, the Wong Academy is very good!

In NYC there are free classes given by (ugh) Norman Chin at the Chinatown YMCA Saturday mornings.
(You have to suffer though his sales pitch to join his paying class, its like the pitches they give on those "free" vacations! Hehehe...)

His associate Melvin Chin is a truly talented performer (in spite of his size) and the guy can really move!

fiercest tiger
08-22-2002, 06:45 PM
yes both david and hilton are around but not as much anymore.

I guess around 3 or 4pm in dixon street.

i do believe the chinese masonic society was sponsored by sifu as well.

later
FT

brothernumber9
08-23-2002, 07:47 AM
Sifu Tat Mau Wong has always produced good lion dance teams, the kids there are the best. Sifu Jimmy Wong in texas produces a strong team too. I think YKM, Bak Hok, lung ying, etc are without question strong teams. I learn at Tai Yim Kung Fu school, we don't compete in competitions, but lion dance varies literally from school to school, so I can only hope that we represent ourselves well and well for Hung Fut. I will say that i think I play a fair drum and my lion head is not horrible although i still have much to fix and learn. We also have pretty strong tails. Outside of a few Jow Ga schools and ourselves, I'm not really aware of any Lion dance teams in the Washington D.C., MD, VA area.

brothernumber9
08-23-2002, 07:47 AM
Sifu Tat Mau Wong has always produced good lion dance teams, the kids there are the best. Sifu Jimmy Wong in texas produces a strong team too. I think YKM, Bak Hok, lung ying, etc are without question strong teams. I learn at Tai Yim Kung Fu school, we don't compete in competitions, but lion dance varies literally from school to school, so I can only hope that we represent ourselves well and well for Hung Fut. I will say that i think I play a fair drum and my lion head is not horrible although i still have much to fix and learn. We also have pretty strong tails. Outside of a few Jow Ga schools and ourselves, I'm not really aware of any Lion dance teams in the Washington D.C., MD, VA area.

RENEGADE_MONK
08-23-2002, 10:48 PM
where in DC do you train Alpine? brothernumber9 pretty much summed up the main LD schools in our area :)

wushu chik
08-24-2002, 11:19 AM
We were the first to perform with the beijing opera!! :D

Seriously, our team is pretty green, but they are still pretty good. We've only been doing it for a few years, and I am not ready to put them in competitions yet. Hopefully soon though.

We do traditional & Contemp. We've opened for some MA tourneys, a few other shows, and the Beijing Opera, and some Chinese New Year parties & celebrations! They're still working on the benches though......

~Wen~

once ronin
08-24-2002, 10:42 PM
there is to be a world lion dance competition in hawaii oct 13 this year.

the best will be there i hear. the current all hong kong champion yau kung moon school will be there. china will have a team there.

the world competition was to both up high and traditional on the ground. there is to be a U.S champion also.

fiercest tiger
08-24-2002, 11:09 PM
Do you live in hawaii? If you do will you be videoing the competion?

I will pay you if you did for your time and tape and postage if you ever do tape it!:)

Thanks
FT Garry:)

once ronin
08-25-2002, 12:24 AM
sorry i live in kentucky for the time being.

Oldyela
09-06-2002, 04:18 AM
I have friends in HI that would tape the show for me. Where will it be held?

once ronin
09-10-2002, 04:27 AM
check hong kong's yau kung moon web site sifu ha tak kin's son and team will be in honolulu hawaii for this event.