PDA

View Full Version : standup problems

LEGEND
08-22-2002, 08:20 PM
Been doing it for awhile...and I still revert back to grappling. Getting frustrated or am I one of those that just won't STRIKE??? I have trouble throwing out combos...plus everytime I'm in trouble I want to CLINCH or go for a double/single???

TaoBoy
08-22-2002, 09:09 PM
Just try to maintain your distance. Practice staying outside grappling/clinching/pushing distance. If you get too close - find a way back out to striking distance. There's nothing wrong with going to the clinch - but striking is definitely a beneficial tool.

David Jamieson
08-22-2002, 09:11 PM
Do what works for you.

If you prefer the grab to the strike, then do it.

You can't be everything. But you can have Kung Fu in one or two things.

peace

LEGEND
08-22-2002, 09:20 PM
Taoboy...I can't use distance...my sparring partners are much taller and have long reaches...I have trouble reaching their heads with my jab( 5ft7inches...155lbs=been lifting sniff sniff ).

Kung...I'm starting to agree with u. I've been at it for months...might just work on my bread and butter grappling...and just work on solid entry for shoots. ****...I wanted to box like SUGAR SHANE. I box like GEORGE FORMAN without the power. SIGH!

SanHeChuan
08-22-2002, 10:30 PM
months?...don't be a quiter, stop your b!tchen and keep practicing. Nobody ever got good kung fu in months.

respectmankind
08-22-2002, 10:41 PM
yeah, don't stop. i was ****ed i wasn't gaining and then stopped training for three months and ended up dropping on the bench alone about 80 pounds. you will almost hang yourself if you do that to yourself.

anton
08-23-2002, 02:19 AM
:rolleyes: ...sorry.

SifuAbel
08-23-2002, 04:42 AM
Shorty,

Take it from another shorty, you can't outreach them. Come in closer and negate their reach on you. Don't stay out in their kill zone. Its harder for them to box too far inside their range.

"( 5ft7inches...155lbs=been lifting sniff sniff )."

Chuckle Chuckle, eat a sammich for jeebus sake!

Cipher
08-23-2002, 07:08 AM
You could try (sure you do already) to spar with strickly only striking rules, only punching, only kicking what ever. Just don't do it so much you build a habit to only punch or only kick or only grapple:D

We do role sparring but we always finish it off with as much or more totaly open free sparing.

Do you work the heavy bag and speed bags, punching mits? Hitting a solid object can help you out and give you more confidence that your able to punch something solid?

Are you confident in your ability to strike? Are you sparing with people much better than you, do they put the pressure on too much for your level? When I spar heavy with my teacher I don't do nearly as good as when I spar a peer. This is only a mental state that I have to deal with. When I spar my teacher he goes easy enough so I learn something though.

I agree with Abel, it seems like if person has longer reach then get inside their range.

Cipher
08-23-2002, 07:12 AM
Oops:D

Acidently posted twice.

Suntzu
08-23-2002, 07:29 AM
Legend - u a giant compared to me (almost) 5'9" 147(ring weight) 152 (right now)… i was 160 but i had to lose it :( ... get inside… hooks to the body, head and then BAM… slam 'em on his neck… now thatz good kung fu:D...

No_Know
08-23-2002, 07:47 AM
Punch their arms. Punch their kicks. Work your way in like this. Better yet, punch their limbs as they come in. Do something other than go to them. If they want to fight, let them come to you. If yoou want to fight, go for it. You'll likely come-up with something.

fa_jing
08-23-2002, 08:43 AM
Actually I think you'll need to block or engage the opponent's arms in order to come in. Not dance and jab. Also, bob and weave if you're into that. Also, a lot of shorter guys that are MA seem to have real good kicks. You can kick a taller guy when you're inside the most effective range of his kicks.

fa_jing
08-23-2002, 08:44 AM
You're in good company. I believe that Bruce was about 5'7", Chuck Norris too.

Suntzu
08-23-2002, 08:56 AM
but Bruce didn't have to work for a living( in his prime anyway ) and could train 4-8 hours a day, totally obsessive compulsive( I'm just slightly OC ) and probably a genetic freak with litle or no body fat… but they are just excuses…

HuangKaiVun
08-23-2002, 10:10 AM
Bruce Lee is many things, but he's definitely NOT a "genetic freak with little or no bodyfat".

I know no less than 10 Chinese guys who have Bruce Lee physical potential - I happen to be one of them. Among Southern Chinese, Bruce Lee's dimensions and reflexes are actually quite commonplace.

It's not that I'm so great, it's that Bruce Lee's physical prowess is achievable by many people who share that genetic makeup. But Bruce Lee's skills were truly special.

Dancing and jabbing, blocking and weaving - it all depends on the opponent and the setting.

Big or small, you're going to have to engage in close quarter combat to do any damage whatsoever. How one gets there depends on the individuals and the forum.

Merryprankster
08-23-2002, 10:54 AM
Stop trying to outjab a taller opponent! Stop trying to dance.

Cover up and learn to like getting hit. You're not going to get inside without it getting busy. While most of the shots don't hurt because you are (hopefully) keeping your head movement going, and not taking punches in the face, you are going to be in a chaotic environment. Throw power shots to the body and when his elbows drop, go upstairs. When his elbows rise because he's protecting his head now, go back down stairs--mix it up :) I learned this for a very important reason--my most frequent sparring partner is 6 inches taller.

I know what you mean about clinching to avoid getting hit--it's my first defensive instinct when I am outclassed striking too. Now what you need to learn to do is hit on the way OUT of the clinch. Push him away a little, and throw down.

Keep applying well balanced forward pressure, and pivot often to keep him moving/counter his movement. This will keep him from getting set and firing shots at will.

Good luck!

Suntzu
08-23-2002, 10:55 AM
well than.... YOURE ALL GENETIC FREAKS;) please dont beat me up i was just joking :D :p