PDA

View Full Version : A proud uncle

ewallace
08-23-2002, 08:37 AM
I just got off the phone with my sister. Apparently there was a group of about four kids that were constantly bullying my nephew, who is in fourth grade. My sister has always taught him that fighting is wrong. These kids would just not stop picking on him. So finally my sister said to him, "Johnny, the next times one of those boys starts hitting you, punch him right in the nose, and make sure it's a bloody one". Sure enough, the other day my nephew did just that. They are not picking on him anymore.

What makes this worse and somewhat upsetting is that a couple of the kids are in karate classes. I told my sister to have my nephew find out what school they go to, and to go down and inform the instructor what has been going on. Hopefully they will have some sense to stop this since the grade school they all go to has done absolutely nothing to stop it, even though it's been brought to their attention several, several times.

I think this is good for kids, but not necessarilly a good thing to do for us older folks in a street/bar/survival situation.

Go Johhny!

Former castleva
08-23-2002, 09:03 AM
I would not be so sure if that´s very good for children either,if that becomes an attitude...:(
If they are really getting at his face,and threatening him I guess what he did could be rational but telling the teacher,principal or who ever is in charge,could do wonders (I know bullying is a big hit among problem children these days) at least it SHOULD-no bloody noses.In worst case scenario,he will be at their line of fire in the future too with heavier sense,but that hopefully is not the case.

rubthebuddha
08-23-2002, 09:23 AM
kind of a no-win situation. often telling on the bullies will just get the kid in more trouble, as they'll meet up with him after class because they had to sit out recess. or the kid will pop the fuggers in the noggin and they'll leave him alone, but the tyke may think that socking someone is a legit answer to problems.

and unless you have ralek as a neighbor, it's not.

KC Elbows
08-23-2002, 09:37 AM
If he were a viking child, he might have gotten some rank for that one. Even more if he'd have split their skulls open with an axe.

I'd tell him "Good viking. Next time, find something heavy and sharp."

I'm thinking adopting might be fun.

I think standing up is an important experience for some. As a kid, I was who all the other kids came to when they were getting bullied by kids down the street(I was always pretty big until highschool, then I was a bean pole), and those are some good memories, even if now my problem solving has matured from "kick them in the gut".

Suntzu
08-23-2002, 09:39 AM
Lil' Johnny needs to be taught to follow up after the shot to the nose…

seriously tho… as long as lil' johnny understands that violence is a last option only type deal, he SHOULD be OK… if he enjoy bustin dudes snot box … well… he might become a bully himself… but in 4th grade… they'll forget that fight by next recess(well atleast we did when i was in forth grade ) ... now if lil Johnny was in highschool... than i would be wary...

ewallace
08-23-2002, 09:40 AM
That's just the thing. The principle and teachers were made aware on numerous occasions.

My sister is very VERY strict in making sure that he knows that this is not always the answer. She is consitantly telling him that fighting is wrong, but when you have nothing left to do but defend yourself, so be it.

ewallace
08-23-2002, 09:44 AM
Lil' Johnny needs to be taught to follow up after the shot to the nose…
He was. And honestly it's really suprising coming from my sister since she is really really against violence. She wouldn't even allow him to have toy guns (in Texas too!). I kind of left this out on purpose, but she actually told him to punch him in the nose, a few times, and make sure it's a bloody. I was at work when I got the call so I don't know all the details about what exactly happened.

Badger
08-23-2002, 09:51 AM
Why don't you start training the little dude in fighting, discipline & bacon sammiches???

Badger

ewallace
08-23-2002, 10:33 AM
Why don't you start training the little dude in fighting, discipline & bacon sammiches???
My family definitely comes first in all things. Except for Bacon and hot showers.

I have showed him some basics. The problem is, he really has had a rough childhood even though he is only in fourth grade. I don't want him to go hurt some kid and then tell his folks "my uncle taught me that". My sister and I are going to look for a m/a school for him. Hopefully the boy's stepdad won't get too involved because I think he has a little background in karate. The stuff my nephew showed me that his stepdad taught him makes me nervous.

I'm thinking something along the lines of the kenpo school I went to years ago. They had a great kids program. Also the BJJ school here if they teach kids, and judo is a possibility too. He needs the fun and confidence but I don't want him to go to a belt factory and think he will be able to defend himself.

KC Elbows
08-23-2002, 10:50 AM
"he really has had a rough childhood even though he is only in fourth grade."

I hate seeing that. Good luck to the little guy.

ewallace
08-23-2002, 10:56 AM
Thanks bro. I have a personnel score to settle with his birthfather. That **** node is a poster child of a deadbeat dad. That isn't the issue between us though. He came and saw them at my parents house a few years ago. My parents did not tell me he was coming. They know how I feel and that something would definitely happen if we were in the same general area.

rubthebuddha
08-23-2002, 11:15 AM
ewallace: ask for wushu chik's advice on how to deal with unwelcome family members (or former ones).

it involves a lot of backfisting. ;)

ewallace
08-23-2002, 11:23 AM
I have a feeling that our ecounter would involve a Louisville Slugger and a few rolls of duct tape. Maybe a large sandy area too.

Former castleva
08-23-2002, 01:41 PM
"That's just the thing. The principle and teachers were made aware on numerous occasions."

I kind of suspected that,was afraid of it,had it coming.
Training the little guy then,I guess may not be a bad idea.
May it be "complete" training,non-violent,lots of spiritual edge on it.We already have bad examples of kids bringing guns to school and shooting each other due to lack of attention towards their issues.
There is information on the issue on www too,might sound a bit far-stretched but check it out if you wish http://www.successunlimited.co.uk/bullycide/myths.htm
(that´s actually just a part of the site)
Maybe if the lad has friends he could try to generate some safety trough the help of them (not to go for a revenge but to discourage the thugs),or maybe even tell the teachers HIMSELF,if realistic in his situation.

Just some of my own cents,I´m short on cash right now.

ewallace
08-23-2002, 02:17 PM
For some reason I get the feeling that the boy could end up one of those kids who goes bat**** on his classmates. That is why I have always been hesitant to show him much. Not that I am qualified to teach anyways. Plus, I have heard (not necessarily believe) that sometimes relatives are not always the best teachers of martial arts for kids because they see them as authority figures. I think the best thing for us to do is to find him a good m/a school that can actually teach him to defend himself, while also giving him an opportunity to make some new friends and learn some self respect, moral values and discipline.

Sharky
08-23-2002, 02:22 PM
Nephew did good

how old is he?

ewallace
08-23-2002, 02:24 PM
I think 9 or 10. He just had a birthday. For some reason I can never remember how old he is or what his birthday is. But tell me a phone number once and I won't forget it. Go figure.

Sharky
08-23-2002, 02:30 PM
i don't even know my own mobile or home number - that's what mobiles are made for :)

nah, he did good. wait till he's like 12/13 then you'll be able to judge his personality further, and it's a good time to start training him in some simple boxing :)

peace and love for all.

ewallace
08-23-2002, 02:31 PM
it's a good time to start training him in some simple boxing
Where do you think he learned how to punch? :)

Sharky
08-23-2002, 02:32 PM
;)

Sharky
08-23-2002, 02:33 PM
i swear my kids are gona be like ****ing ninjas, doing flips and stuff.

it's going to be totally sweet.

fightfan
08-23-2002, 11:50 PM
Good for Johnny!
Sometimes its just about letting the rest of the school know what line NOT to cross.
Very cool! :)