PDA

View Full Version : Career vs MA and chinese medicine

friday
09-03-2001, 06:18 AM
So what do you think? Should I stick with a high paying career in a boring job or goe and study chinese medicine and embark on a career in martial arts and be a chinese doctor?

joedoe
09-03-2001, 06:24 AM
What is more important to you?

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
What we do in life echoes in Eternity

fiercest tiger
09-03-2001, 07:18 AM
are you happy with your job? if i had a good paying job i would do a course and get a clinic opened up later...as long as i had a house and i was set for life then yes i would go at it full time. unfortunately kung fu is all i have i wasnt any good at school and was never there really. nothing better then doing a job you love to do, like myself all i do is teach and heal and hopefully open more schools around the world.

you need to be happy with what you are doing! :)

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Shaolin Master
09-03-2001, 09:40 AM
If we appreciate the beauty in everything we do, then we do not limit ourselves to what we can learn. We are but our own limitation.

Do both, even a garbage cleaner who takes pride and loves we does has achieved more than the CEO who rekindles on what he has not been able to do.

Regards
Shi Chan Long

joedoe
09-03-2001, 09:56 AM
I am in a relatively high paying career as well, and have pondered a similar question to you. While I enjoy what I do, I do not want to do it for the rest of my life.

This is my plan - work as hard as I can now, make as much money as I can now, and later I will set myself up to do what I want to do. This should only take me about 5 more years before I can reach my goal of being financially independent.

How does that sound?

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Hungmei
09-03-2001, 05:11 PM
>So what do you think? Should I stick with a high paying career in a boring job or goe and study chinese medicine and embark on a career in martial arts and be a chinese doctor?

Do both, and do them at the same time, I do. I also have two friends, husband and wife, by day she is a research scientist with NIH, and he is a dual addictions counselor at a local hospital. By night, they turn their home into a Traditional Chinese Medicine Clinic, as they are both certified in acupuncture. Plenty of time for both and she recently returned from China where she was for a period of advanced study.

When it comes to choices, do it all :) John

meltdawn
09-04-2001, 04:43 AM
I recommend keeping your day job.

Having the means to be able to study and practice what you love is very important. When you are forced to make what you love pay the bills, you run the risk of burn-out and bitter sacrifice.

Don't knock the American way.

Just my humble opinion.

"Waiting is bad." - Musashi
www.lungyingjingjung.com (http://www.lungyingjingjung.com)

friday
09-04-2001, 05:25 AM
First of all thanks for all the responses you were kind enuff to post.
Recently i have been caught up with the fact that my job although rewarding financially is not something i like or enjoy doing. when i come to think of it kung fu is probably the only thing that really gives me a 'get up and go' kind of feeling.
One of my sifu is giving me the support i need for this interest to develop into a fulltime career and i must thank him for this.
at the end of the day i still have to pay the bills. All my life i have been studying the right subjects, doing the right course in uni listening to my parents say do this do that, get a high paying job that is secure...etc.
At the moment i have taken the decision to try to do both. but to move out of a position i don't really enjoy and move into a work position i think i will and pursue kung fu while i do this. hopefully in 5 years i will be able to pursue kung fu fulltime. i get worried i will get trapped into this job thing because of the financial rewards it gives me and destine my life making money lots of it and not being happy. sigh...work hours might get in the way of doing both. anyway i will see how it goes. :)
thanks though for your comments and pls continue with this discussion i m still interested in what everyone else has to say.

regards,

phoenix-eye
09-06-2001, 02:08 AM
About 10 years ago I was offered the chance to move to Australia nad teach Korean Martial Art with my then instructor.

I was too young and my parents (probably rightly) persuaded me not to go and to go to University and get a "real2 job.

I am now in this "real" job and like thhave a great interest in MA (CMA particular but MA in general).

I have always been toying with the idea of setting up my own school eventually but it really does require a real leap of faith (that I have already declined once....).

Anyway, I feel that my interest in MA hampers my career anyway as I will always choose training over staying late at work. It's getting to be quite a serious issue....

But hey - who cares - I suppose it's back to Yiin and Yang - job you don't like but is good financially / art you love but is poor financially - It's all a balance.

"We had a thing to settle so I did him"
Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.

friday
09-06-2001, 05:30 AM
Hi Pheonix eye

hmmm...stinks doesnt it?
but...if u like your job its ok. i think people have more trouble if they don't like their job.
hahaha no comment on who i m referring to.

i personally think that diverting my attention and efforts to too many things will ultimately deduct the potential i can reach by focusing on only a few.

I don't ever forget my ultimate goal

to become a kung fu master.

so i don't care how long it takes or how much upsets i have tp put myself thru i know one day i will achieve it. :)

phoenix-eye
09-07-2001, 01:43 AM
Sounds like you know what you want deep down...

Money is definitely NOT everything - health, happiness and honour are far more important.

I am surrounded by people whosse only goal is getting a better and higher paid job. None of them seem to be truly happy at all. There's always something bugging them and getting them stressed.

It sounds pretty corny but I really do believe that Kung fu (MA in general) has offerred me something that these people don't have and that's humility and a philosophy about myself and my place in the world.

I think I would follow the path you seem to have selected in your own min - I think becoming a kung fu master would make me a hell of a lot happier than becoming the CEO of my company.

After all, you can be fired from your job but you can't be fired from the skills, self-knowledge and wisdom that you have built up over the years of training.

Whatever you choose Friday - I wish you the very best of luck on the path ahead.

"We had a thing to settle so I did him"
Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.

Brian_CA
09-07-2001, 09:18 PM
Consider this. Use the high paying job to invest wisely.(real estate is always a good idea) Produce residual income over the next 5 years. Train real hard until you are financially ready and then get ready to not make much money from teaching martial arts and chinese medicine. While very rewarding the MA and TMC do not pay very well. If you don't mind a low paying job then jump in, as long as you can pay the bills. But if you do jump in do so with everything you got and pursue it until you get a success!

Good Luck,

Brian
San Francisco, CA

lungyuil
09-08-2001, 10:59 AM
I have to say that this question is common for most who love the CMA.

I run my own construction company and have thought about giving it up and training full time. Although it is the path i would love to go on, realistically(sp?)it is not fully possible until i am financially stable and don't need to work.

I am planning that within the next 5yrs, i can teach and learn full time, and be financially independant.

It is great wanting to follow your dream, but in this day and age you need money behind you.

In the old days, they would live day by day, no taxes, live wherever you want to. No phone or electricity bills etc.

I believe that because kung fu is a lifetime study, you should be able to make yourself financially independant within a certain period of time and train after that is achieved.

That is my goal, maybe different to others opinions but it works for me.

Maybe it will work for you. Get your priorities straight because you can always train aswell.

friday
09-19-2001, 04:50 AM
I could die today or any day really...
i hate my job today...sorry feeling pessimistic.
i daydream abt kung fu all the time.
ppl work hard to earn money in a steady job...to provide for the future in the meantime...they don't have a life...
this job is sooo boring

sigh

hahah sorry ppl just bored sick of it one of those 'off days'.

fiercest tiger
09-19-2001, 07:11 AM
i took the risk and now im getting a wage and teaching of a day, night class. i have overseas student courses and im selling products!

you can do it bro! give it a go, if it doesnt work in a year or 2 then at least you gave it ago!!

take care man! its just one of those days...:)

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com