PDA

View Full Version : another "great site" and a comment.

Ryu
08-25-2002, 09:11 AM
I've been in the martial arts for over 15 years, and have had the chance to study and learn with a lot of great teachers. I'm planning to start giving demos, etc. of what myself and my training partners are now doing. Technically I can "teach" if I chose to according to certain people and credentials, but I have always been hesitant about doing so.

One, because I'm always a realist when it comes to MA .... (I'm not the best grappler, not the best striker, but definitely not the worst either.) I know I have a lot to offer, but a lot of other people do as well.

But I think the main reason is this........ :D Everyone wants to "create" a MA, or "start" some martial art organization. However the people successful at it truly are respected and have real world experience and skills. (And humbly, I think I am one of those people.)

However......... http://www.angelfire.com/ky3/hiddendragon/

Things like this make me cringe when I think of showing some of my knowledge. LOL I think the worst thing in the world is for people to see you like they would see this guy....... I don't understand how people like this can actually sleep at night. I wouldn't be able to.

Enjoy.
Ryu
warning! The above site is not mine. This is a neo ninja site by a kid named Eddie Weldon.

tri2bmt
08-25-2002, 10:00 AM
Your site ****ing sucks

Ryu
08-25-2002, 10:11 AM
????????

This isn't MY site!!! :confused:

This site belongs to a 12 year old kid named Eddie Weldon who thinks he's a ninja. :D

The post was about how terrible some people can actually become when they get obsessed with being "known" in the martial arts.

:rolleyes: Looks like I'm going to have to make a gigantic sign that says who the site belongs to.

Ryu

Ryu
08-25-2002, 10:20 AM
You know I think I've got to work on how I communicate things on this message board.

First I post a pasted excerpt from some MMA guy who got beaten up a little in a bar, and people think it's MY experience.

Then I post a link to this ridiculous ninja kid's site, and someone already thought THAT monstrosity was my own.

Not sure whether to laugh or really feel insulted. :mad:

Probably should just laugh. :D

But JEEZ, people...... :rolleyes:

Ryu

Kristoffer
08-25-2002, 11:22 AM
Ryu.. your site is horrible!! :mad:

Ryu
08-25-2002, 11:42 AM
:D
You guys are evil. You do know that don't you? You're all going to hell! :D

Ryu

Former castleva
08-25-2002, 12:03 PM
Hey Ryu,
Great site,no it really sucks,I thought you did judo? ;)

His personal information is a bit freaky but those parts of site I checked were quite clear and up-to-date (very basic of course but if that´s what you´re looking for...)
Funny how he messes up mostly chinese and mostly japanese things-ninja-dragon.

Ryu
08-25-2002, 12:10 PM
The unfortunate thing is that the "basics" this guy talks about is simple things that can be found out on the net. This kid is definitely not anything "ninjutsu" and is kind of famous on e-budo for being the poster child for the neo-ninjas.

Ryu

mantis108
08-25-2002, 12:14 PM
LOL... Ryu, relax the guys are just pulling your legs. :)

I hear you about the site. It's some inner-infant (what's child of a child?) that's dying to get people to give it the wanted attention. the roll and fall thing is going to get people hurt the way he described it. But then I don't think people will take that seriously. I think one thing that his "mastery" hasn't taught him is that real mastery beings at the first defeat when pain becomes a reality. One of my young students just learned it. He used to be thinking similarly to this kid - doing things his way despite numerous repeated instructions and warning. Finally last sparring session he got nailed good "doing things his way". Now his pays 120% attention watching the demo of techniques. He practially watch it like a hwak and wanted it done exactly the way it supposed to be. Martial arts are born of collective "painful" mistakes and experience not like video games. Unfortunately kids today don't understand you have only one game over in martial arts unlike video games. Video game culture... oh well.

Mantis108

Royal Dragon
08-25-2002, 12:15 PM
Finaly some one put up a site worse than mine!!!

Did you do your's in MS Word too??:D

Skarbromantis
08-25-2002, 12:20 PM
Dam! Ryu your site is sh*t really, you could have done a better job then that! :D

Skard1

DelicateSound
08-25-2002, 01:08 PM
That really is bad Ryu. How long has it been up.

When you finally finish your BJJ one, don't post it here mate.

:(

dezhen2001
08-25-2002, 02:22 PM
geez ryu - even no pics there :(

LOL! :D

It's a sad thing when things like that are actually taken seriously... especially when it's already hard enough to find somoene with real skills anyway!

david

respectmankind
08-25-2002, 03:24 PM
"Unfortunately kids today don't understand you have only one game over in martial arts unlike video games. Video game culture... oh well. "

so your saying my years of playing mortal kombat and street fighter are for nothing?

mantis108
08-25-2002, 04:18 PM
not until you come up with a website like that. You have not graduated from video dojo - must do more video dojo. lol... will be the invincible master ... wait it didn't say that on the site. He is just a master or whatever. Now go practice pleazzzzz [video dojo awaits].... ;) :D

Mantis108

respectmankind
08-25-2002, 05:08 PM
well, now that we know that my training in the virtual world is legit, i will tell you a story. i got in a fight with this big guy, and i did foward, foward, block and i ripped his head out. was pretty nasty, but kombat is combat.

Wu Wei
08-25-2002, 05:43 PM
I dont see why everybody is insulting Ryus ninja site. I thought it was pretty cool, and I learned a lot from it.
Keep up the good work!

dezhen2001
08-25-2002, 05:47 PM
I also learned how to do drunken style and lie down on the ground form playing Tekken 3 :D Very useful - especially at nite :D

david

respectmankind
08-25-2002, 06:06 PM
i learned druken style from the teacher doa3, very skilled teacher.

Former castleva
08-26-2002, 02:37 AM
"The unfortunate thing is that the "basics" this guy talks about is simple things that can be found out on the net. This kid is definitely not anything "ninjutsu" and is kind of famous on e-budo for being the poster child for the neo-ninjas."

He certainly deserves respect,I never heard of anyone else receiving the rank of hidden dragon (ninja?)
;)

respectmankind
08-26-2002, 03:03 AM
lopted off bucket chillin underneath my clothes

Kristoffer
08-26-2002, 03:12 AM
:D

Former castleva
08-26-2002, 05:12 AM
respectmankind,
not legit,there is no such button combination in MK.
;)

dnc101
08-26-2002, 05:39 AM
but your focus is wrong.
Ryu, you don't have to start your own style, or be th best to teach. You just have to know your subject and have a desire to help others learn it. You apparently meet those qualifications. There are, of course, a lot of other qualities that make a good instructor: communications skills, presence, judgement, even a fair ammount of ego- and the ability to keep it in check. I used to instruct several emergency services disciplines and, unchecked ego notwithstanding, I was good at it. Someone once asked me what I thought seperated an outstanding instructor from a good instructor. He was expecting something like superior knowlege, skills, or experience. But my reply was simply 'The profound desire to give your students the basic tools to be able to become better than you.' If you have that, you will find few things as rewarding to you or your students than instructing your art. Go for it.

GreyMystik
08-26-2002, 07:10 AM
"The arm is long . Not as long as the leg though . The arm is weaker then the leg . The arm can be used for a variety of things . It can be used to block or parry .As well as strike . In many arts they have the same method of striking . See the body is limited to certain movements . SO there are only a certain amount of ways to strike . "

does anyone else notice a certain rolls-like style here? :D

Former castleva
08-26-2002, 09:19 AM
GreyMystik,
I take it for granted.
;) :)

KC Elbows
08-26-2002, 09:36 AM
Ryu, I think you'll do fine teaching, as long as you don't teach that cr@p from your website.

BTW, I didn't know you were like 15. Chickypoos really robbing the cradle these days.

Badger
08-26-2002, 10:05 AM
Ryu is a 15 year-old pot-smoking Ninja who gets into bar-fights???

How does he get into the bars???

Ryu
08-26-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Badger
Ryu is a 15 year-old pot-smoking Ninja who gets into bar-fights???

How does he get into the bars???

Well if I'm a ninja, it shouldn't be very hard now should it?

Ryu

Badger
08-26-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Ryu

Well if I'm a ninja, it shouldn't be very hard now should it?

Ryu

True. :D :p