PDA

View Full Version : choy ga kung fu

mysteri
08-25-2002, 04:32 PM
u know, i've never seen choy ga kung fu perfomed before and dont know much about the style myself. a lot of times i'll inquire about CLF b/c its', from what i understand, a derivative of choy ga. if i'm not correct someone please feel free to correct me. i'm jus curious about learning more about the style since jow ga uses the choy ga footwork. i know nothin about the hands though or main strategies. any replies would be appreciated..

extrajoseph
08-26-2002, 05:25 AM
CLF is not a derivative of Choy Ga Kuen. The term Choy Ga (Choy Family) in CLF history refers to Choy Fook as an individual.

Choy Jin-Kwong from Pun Yu (not far from Guangzhou) passed down Choy Ga Kuen as a style, during the early Qian Lung period (about 1740). It’s characteristic can be sum up in the saying, ”Hung Ga is concerned with solid stance and Choy Ga is concerned with speedy fists”. So speed is the essence both in fist and footwork. I saw a demonstration in Hainan Island back in 1988 and it was fast and the stance is quite high to gain mobility. The main strategy is to be agile and fast so you can attack your opponent from their sides - high and low, left and right and continous like torrential rain blowing in a storm.

Choy Ga Kuen sets included Sup Ji Kuen (Cross Form), Lok Lian Kuen (Six Continuous Fists), Sai Moon Jong (Four Door Dummy, which is a fist form and not a wooden dummy set), and Bak Liu Gui War (Hundred Birds Returning to their Nests). Weapon set included Dan Tou Gwan (Single Headed Staff), Seung Tou Gwan (Double Headed Staff, Dai Pai (Big Fork) and Seung Do (Double Broadsword). If you look hard enough, you can still find someone to teach you this system in China.

Fu-Pow
08-26-2002, 12:09 PM
Do je

mysteri
08-26-2002, 12:27 PM
thank you very much for that information. this system is very difficult for me to learn much about. i saw familiar forms (sup ji kuen, dai pai, double swords, seurng tao gwun, etc.). i jus like to research my roots and look form similarities/differences. very grateful for the reply.