PDA

View Full Version : Work out advice

IllusoryNeptune
08-26-2002, 09:40 AM
Hi,

I'm thinking about adopting a workout routine but am unsure of how to put one together, since I have never done this before. My goals include increasing my strength, stamina, flexibility and increased muscle definition. I am not interested in gaining a large amout of muscle mass as I do not want to lose flexibility and because I wan't to keep a smaller figure. As a fulltime student, I don't have time to go to the gym during the week so I would rather attempt to do this all at home. I was thinking about purchasing some weights, but have no idea what to buy. I'm 6'0 and weigh 185; down from 230 due to kung fu. I'm still slightly heavy and feel that my ideal weight ranges from 170-175, though perhaps not because my frame is slightly on the large side. I'm open to tips, websites, book recommendations. Anything to get me started. Thanks in advance.

IN

Suntzu
08-26-2002, 09:57 AM
when I was in school, I had 1 dumbell w/ 2 10's, 2 5's and 21/2's, and could do a whole body workout… I suggest you get a goodset of adjustable dumbells and keep them where you have to see them to remind you to use them… I kept mine right by my bed…

*I would suggest* that you start out with a bodybuilding type routine so your body gets used to moving weight, joints and tendons get stronger and you get used to doing a routine… do that for atleast a month maybe one or two more… however long floats your boat... sample workouts can be found anywhere... get a Man Health mag or something...

After you get a lil stronger… get more weights maybe join a gym… use heavy weights, fewer reps and more sets… learn to do bigger movements like the squat, deadlifts, push press, etc… make sure you learn how to do them correctly… but still do the 'isolated' movements and add in the larger movements...

when u learn the large movements… use them as the base and supplement those with the isolated movements… ex. Leg day do squat leg extensions and leg curls… start doing light/heavy cycles and all that 'fancy' stuff…

and after all of that you should know what work for you and have your own routine down and you're on your own…

Iron Fist - how did I do????

IronFist
08-26-2002, 12:35 PM
My goals include increasing my strength, stamina, flexibility and increased muscle definition.

Strength, stamina, and flexibility are all relatively easy to gain. Seeing as how you used to weigh 230 you probably have little trouble gaining muscle and/or strength. Increased muscle definition will result from lowering your bodyfat percentage, which is probably the toughest out of everything you listed.

I am not interested in gaining a large amout of muscle mass as I do not want to lose flexibility

Muscle mass has almost nothing to do with flexibility. Tom Platz, the bodybuilder with the biggest quads of all time, can do full splits :) The important thing to remember is to not slack off when it comes to stretching. Don't stretch too much before you lift weights, however. After you're done lifting it's all good tho, and you can spend more time if you like.

and because I wan't to keep a smaller figure.

That's a much better reason for not wanting to gain too much muscle than the flexibility thing.

As a fulltime student, I don't have time to go to the gym during the week so I would rather attempt to do this all at home. I was thinking about purchasing some weights, but have no idea what to buy.

With your goals, you may be a good person to recommend kettlebells to. The good news is that to start, you only need the first kettlebell and video, which will run you about $150 or something, which is less than a 3 month gym membership. Kettlebells will give you strength, endurance, and will cut your body fat thus resulting in more definition. Head over to Dragondoor (http://www.dragondoor.com) and have a look. There are many people on the message board that will give you their kettlebell success stories.

Anything else you do will cost you at least as much. For example, since you said you want to do it at home, a 315lb olympic weight set will cost about $150, and if you want like a squat rack or bench or something that will be a few hundred more at least. Btw, that's really all you need anyway if you're going the freeweight route. You don't really need curl bars, any machines, or even dumbells really.

Well, have a look around dragondoor and let us know what you think or plan to do. Kettlebells? Freeweights? Join a gym?

IronFist

IronFist
08-26-2002, 12:43 PM
Iron Fist - how did I do????

Since you asked... ;)

when I was in school, I had 1 dumbell w/ 2 10's, 2 5's and 21/2's, and could do a whole body workout… I suggest you get a goodset of adjustable dumbells and keep them where you have to see them to remind you to use them… I kept mine right by my bed…

While it's possible to get a whole body workout, as you mentioned, you will never develop all out strength with only 30 or 40lbs of weight. But, I guess this just depends on the goals of whoever is training.

*I would suggest* that you start out with a bodybuilding type routine so your body gets used to moving weight, joints and tendons get stronger and you get used to doing a routine…

I don't think I would recommend this. Bodybuilding type training is very strenous on the body and generally isn't suited to a complete beginner. He may over train without even realizing it.

After you get a lil stronger… … learn to do bigger movements like the squat, deadlifts, push press, etc… make sure you learn how to do them correctly… but still do the 'isolated' movements and add in the larger movements... [/i]

I would probably start with bigger movements like squat and deadlift from the beginning. The strength developed here is more transferrable to other things. If he were to do, say leg presses for a few months and then try squats, the strength he had developed may be more powerful than the coordination requried to do a squat which might result in injury. I wouldn't include many isolation movements at all, either.

Just my opinion :D

IronFist

Suntzu
08-26-2002, 12:45 PM
very eloquent IF… I posted a while back a site that sells KB handles… expensive in the front end but more versitile IMO… or maybe not I'll let you know I'm about to order one… the thread was called ' Look at This" or something like that... i'll pull it back up...either way *I* think every one should have a set of adjustable dumbells… so much u can do with them... presses and curls while you watch TV... load 'em up and walk room to room( if u have that many rooms )... use just the handles and shadow box...

IllusoryNeptune
08-26-2002, 09:59 PM
Thanks for all the tips and advice. Much appreciated. I looked at the kettlebell site and it looks interesting but I'm still thinking. I don't have much money because I still go to school, so when/if I manage to save anything up I'll have to go the cheapest route.

Let me just emphasize something here. I know it may sound silly, but I'm afraid of gaining too much mass. I was heavy for a longtime, and yes, I was large. Now I can finally consider myself thin and I want to stay that way. I was uncomfortable when I was big and I don't want to go back to that. I know there's a difference between being big because your fat and being big because your muscular, but I don't care, I just don't want to be huge again, ever. I know that some muscle gain is inevitable when I start this, and I accept that. Sounds weird, I know but it's just a personal preference. Thanks again.

Suntzu
08-27-2002, 06:26 AM
well I didn't get as far as strength or size gains with a DB while I was in school… but it was exercise and I got use to having a routine… so goal accomplished there…

OK let me clarify… when I say a bodybuilding routine I don’t mean 50 million set with a million reps on one body part… I meant more on the lines of working 'isolated' movements… bench, curl, presses, etc… before moving to larger movements…

the reason I say move to larger movement later is [1] squats and DL's, etc are a more advanced movements and if u don’t know what your doing can injure… [2] you don’t automatically have the equipment to perform those exercises at a high poundage…

I say keep doing the isolated exercises with the compound… well, if you are a MAist and your doing squats and benches heavy, the hamstrings and BI's aren't getting the workout they need and you could be sacrificing speed and power right there… of course IMO

IN - I'll get back to you on the mass issue… I'm not quie awake yet…