PDA

View Full Version : What is the orthodox purpose for single palm change training?

MonkeySlap Too
08-26-2002, 02:10 PM
A question for BGZ players on the board: Is there an orthodox primary purpose for this exercise / method? What are the variations of interpretation between 'styles' of BGZ? What defines it as BGZ or not BGZ? (Wushu BGZ is an acceptable answer here as NOT BGZ.)

Kempo Guy
08-26-2002, 05:14 PM
I just happened to read something about this on Tim Cartmell's discussion board today. Tim replied to a similar question on a thread called "single and double palm change" in his Ba Gua forum. It may or may not be what you're looking for but thought it may have some relevance to your question.

Here's what he wrote:
"The developers of the various styles of Ba Gua Zhang seem to have modified the Single and Double Palm Changes to suit the particular types of power and technique of their respective styles.

As far as I know, Dong Hai Chuan (the founder) originally practiced three forms, the Single Palm Change, the Double Palm Change and the Smooth Palm Change (which has survived in most Cheng Ting Hua systems as the "Snake Form" ). Ba Gua Zhang is based upon circular/spiral and rotational momentums. The original forms were apparently designed to cultivate these. The Single Palm Change was designed to cultivate horizontal circular power, the Double Palm Change was designed to develop Vertical circular power and the Smooth Palm Change to develop oblique (angled between horizontal and vertical) circular power.
Some later practitioners modified the original movements to emphasize different developmental aspects (Gao Yi Sheng for example combined all three basic circular energies into the Single Palm Change alone). "

Hope this helps.
KG

count
08-26-2002, 05:55 PM
Single palm change is interpreted differently by different schools. Aside from applications, it is for training intent from one side to the other. Double palm change intent moves from one side to the other and back again. But that's just my understanding.;)