PDA

View Full Version : How and Why

red5angel
08-27-2002, 08:16 AM
OK, I have figured out my problem with why I fee like most people in the martial arts are mediocre and why the martial arts have become mediocre. Like any other skill set or hobby, many people envision themselves as wanting to be good, and many people end up getting better then you average Joe or Jane. For instance my wife juggles, she juggles really well and to the layman, she is an excellent juggler. If you talk to her or another juggler however, you will find that while she can juggle some things very well, most of it is pretty middle of the road.
Why is this? Because she doesn’t apply herself as much as she could. If she juggled a few hours a day, she would probably be world class in a few years. I believe it’s the same with martial arts. Most people are happy being better then the average Joe, but they don’t strive to consistently train hard, to become better then the average martial artist. Those we call hobbyist, practice a few hours a week, can do some cool things to impress friends and might be able to hold their own sparring or drilling in class. They haven’t applied themselves to their utmost, usually they have other hobbies, or family or jobs that they claim get in their way.
I guess to me, what it comes down to is, the level of ability is directly related to the level of dedication. The more you practice and train, the better you are going to be

gnugear
08-27-2002, 08:25 AM
interesting point.

I noticed that many people fit into the "good" catagory ... but there is a tremendous gap between those that are good and those that have great skill. Surprise, surprise, it's usually because the "great" person put in a lot more time and energy.

old jong
08-27-2002, 08:31 AM
Martial arts are not different of any other human activity's...Your results are always proportionnal to the seriousness of your practice.

Chum Kil
08-27-2002, 08:49 AM
Red5,

How old are you? You just figured this out today! You need a life, bro, besides WC this, WC that.

AndrewP
08-27-2002, 09:39 AM
There's nothing wrong with being a hobbyist as long as you know that you are and don't let ego reign. Sometimes I wish that I could spend 10 hours a day training and then I look at my bills and think I need to work. I look at my wife and think I need to spend some time with her, I look in a mirror and I think it would take too much work to lose all that flab. Besides being 35 is not the time in my life to go all out. So, what ends up happening is I just put in a few hours a week in wing chun. If I stay realistic and constantly train I'm pretty sure I'll improve. But I'm not going to enter competitions.

Now if I was a teenager that might be different. I might have put in the time because I had time. And I didn't care if I was injured. Because I was immortal and all healing at the time. I've been in it for 2.5 years now and I find it fascinating but I'll be like the juggler. However, I will put three evenings per week in it and if I just chi sao, drill, and lightly spar I'll improve.

The above are not excuses. Just a reminder that not everybody has wing chun as their main priority. Life has a funny way of pulling your attention to other things. Not that it's good or bad. It just is.

red5angel
08-27-2002, 10:49 AM
Chum Kil, would you kindly give me your opinion on what a "life" is? For me its accomplishment in the things I want to be good at. Maintaining good relationships, working hard and balancing it all. Instead of making all sorts of time for tv, going to clubs, and partying or whatever you may use to define your life, I skip all the popular excuses and go straight to working hard at the things I love. WC is a big part of my life, I dont consider myself a hobbyist. Like AndrewP said, its ok to be a hobbyist if thats what you want, but dont make the mistake of thinking it makes you good.
People dont want to work for it now a days. Like you, they feel if they put too much time into any one thing that they are wasting their lives, or missing out. I cant do eberything in this life anyway so why try? Why not just focus on a few important things? On top of that too many people who have that very same attitude consider themselves experts because they have done so many years or read so many books. A few hours a week doesn't cut it with me for being an expert.
For my lineage we have Kenneth Chung to look at. The guy had to replace his floors a few times because he wore holes in them working on his wingchun. I cant imagine how he feels or what he sees when he looks aroud at all the people half azzing it and calling themselves masters or grandmasters or even sifu for some of them.

Chum Kil
08-27-2002, 01:06 PM
"Chum Kil, would you kindly give me your opinion on what a "life" is?"

It is about being able to handle whatever life throws at you and keep on going. Truly tough people have a quiet commitment about them to do what ever it takes to get the job done. It is as much a part of them as light is to daytime. They don't need to talk about it or convince other people about it. It is just there. The self-commitment to survive and carry on, no matter what is thrown at you. And the ones who are most successful doing this are the ones who are loyal to something bigger than themselves. It is not about you and what you want, it's about not quitting because other need you.

"Instead of making all sorts of time for tv, going to clubs, and partying or whatever you may use to define your life, I skip all the popular excuses and go straight to working hard at the things I love."

I remember you telling people on this forum that they should not assume what you do in your life. Are you doing the same to me.

"WC is a big part of my life, I dont consider myself a hobbyist."

I think everyone on this forum knows this. So what else is new?

"People dont want to work for it now a days. Like you, they feel if they put too much time into any one thing that they are wasting their lives, or missing out. "

Here we go again assuming. How the hell do you know what I think.

"The guy had to replace his floors a few times because he wore holes in them working on his wingchun."

I could care less. Is this your goal in life as well?

"I cant imagine how he feels or what he sees when he looks aroud at all the people half azzing it and calling themselves masters or grandmasters or even sifu for some of them."

So now you are assuming you know what Ken Chung thinks. If he does go around thinking this, then he's got some issues to be resolved.

Red5,

IMHO you won't be doing WC in the next 2-3 years, you will burnout. So why do you do WC? Is it to become a badass? Enter some toughman, UFC, Pride, A1 competion? Why? To lecture us on KFO? To become an Instructor? Again why? Really I don't give a ****!

red5angel
08-27-2002, 01:27 PM
Chum Kil, your description of what a "life" is does not fit with your initial implication that I lacked one. Life, is a bout a great many things. Your implication was from a more mundane direction, that seemed to imply that because I work hard at wingchun I dont have time for anything else. If that is what you meant, then I am here to tell you you are wholly wrong. I am making no assumptions about you personally, those are some of the more common excuses for people not working hard which are almost always precede by I would or I would like to but. I do however assume, mostly correctly, that most people dont want to work for it. We could argue that point until you turn blue in the face but I have seen enough to convince me of it. Its been pointed out that some choose to do things like WC as a hobby, but some of those that talk about doing it well or doing it alot still only do it as a hobby, if you understand what I am saying. Assuming I know what Ken Chung is thinking, its a good misdirection but the actual sentence does not imply that. I just know how I would feel in his shoes.
Chum Kil - my prediction? in 2-3 years I will still be going strong, how about you?

Chum Kil
08-27-2002, 02:10 PM
"Chum Kil - my prediction? in 2-3 years I will still be going strong, how about you?"

2-3 years is a long time, bro. The way your going, I'll bet someday someone from KFO will pay you a visit. You will be in for a rude awakening. Or god forbid Carl (Idol) will leave your ass hanging.

red5angel
08-27-2002, 02:22 PM
On this forum, puhlease! People are way to busy playing grab ass here to want to fight. Its easier to be friends then to face the fact that your skill may not be what you want it to be. But I will tell you what Chum Kil, when I start tournemants here soon, I will keep you informed as to what is going on.
And just because I am passionate about my art, dont make the mistake of thinking I am going to burnout, it may be a problem you have but I have never had an issue wth it. ;)

John Weiland
08-27-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
On this forum, puhlease! People are way to busy playing grab ass here to want to fight. Its easier to be friends then to face the fact that your skill may not be what you want it to be. But I will tell you what Chum Kil, when I start tournemants here soon, I will keep you informed as to what is going on.
And just because I am passionate about my art, dont make the mistake of thinking I am going to burnout, it may be a problem you have but I have never had an issue wth it. ;)
Jason,

Work on your own Wing Chun. It doesn't matter what others think outside of your teachers and your friends and family.

This forum isn't meant as a place for disparaging you or others.

I hope you stick with Wing Chun. In a few years, you will have skills to be proud of. Give it its due time.

Regards,