PDA

View Full Version : Good Article with Marc "The Animal" MacYoung

Kempo Guy
08-27-2002, 10:34 AM
Thought I'd post this here for you guys interested in self-defense.

http://www.intensitymagazine.com/06-18-02/seif_hammack.html

KG

Kristoffer
08-27-2002, 11:10 AM
MacYoung,,, I remember reading an article about his backround. Wow, the things he've been through are amazing.. Sadly, I can't open that link.

TaoBoy
08-27-2002, 04:31 PM
MacYoung's website (www.nononsenseselfdefense.com) is amazing - so much information!! And the guy is very accomodating of questions and so on. He's definitely an asset in a world full of ego-inflated, meat-head martial art superstars.

LEGEND
08-27-2002, 05:07 PM
I do agree with SOME of the things he stated and some not regarding the grappling aspect and so forth and how we just train for sport etc...
www.straightblastgym.com
has a interview that would disagree with MARC's interview but both guys have tons of knowledge on real fighting! So heads up to both. I do believe that Matt has a better approach cause he understands gross motor skills compared to attune motor skills and how "U" are either a grappler or a striker. Size does count and for someone small like me 5ft 7inches 155lbs to clinch and knee a bigger guy to hell is laughable. I'll try that to MERRYPRANKSTER and will end up looking like STREETPIZZA.

Ryu
08-27-2002, 05:40 PM
*Ryu bursts in with gun and heavy accent*

As of now, this thread is hijacked!!

(maybe in bad taste.....sorry)

Anyway to the real comment.... Legend, you know it makes you wonder about the whole RAT system don't you think? I mean if you wouldn't want to clinch and try to take down a much bigger and stronger individual, why do people think they can simply grab the back of their neck and start kneeing and headbutting them into oblivion? Don't you think someone who will kill you in the clinch will "Kill you" in "trapping" range all together?

As was mentioned before, almost ALL fights go to the clinch in some way or form regardless whether they hit the ground or not. Is it realistic to try and "chop someone down" with kicks and punches? (time-wise I mean) Especially if he's so massively big and strong that you would not want to get close to him?

Something I've been thinking about.

Ryu

LEGEND
08-27-2002, 06:00 PM
RYU...yeah I feel u...when I saw the RAT...I was like holy shiet...good idea...but I alwayz thought in the context of fighting someone BIGGER. I was like hmmmmmmmmmmmm...I've tried the BOXING BLAST while sparring with a bigger guy before and he didn't retreat back...just covered up and started hooking OUCH! What then??? Cause the RAT similar to STRAIGHT BLAST is to force your opponent to backpedal and then TERMINATE. I'm sure it works for PAUL and some of his students but...seems geared for the experienced standup fighters only.

I'm just wondering like guys like MARC...SAMMY, who says never to grapple really based an approach for the HOBBIT martial artists. LOL. Call me FRODO. I mean hell the reason I tried wing chun cause it was strong enuf for a man but made for a woman...then I got beat down by a boxer while sparring. Then I tried some standup and well u can imagine...it's mad frustrating! Only thing that seems to work for ME is to ground/pound and submit. Only reason why I disagree with Marc article.

Ryu
08-27-2002, 06:20 PM
"Only thing that seems to work for ME is to ground/pound and submit." :D

Legend, I'm about 5'9 180 pounds, and I also feel that groundpounding works wonders for me. Sammy seems to train quite a bit of grappling even though he speaks a lot on its dangers in certain situations (and I have to agree). But most of the reality guys I talk to (Sammy, Rich, etc.) seem to agree with me that the kind of "street grappling" I talk about (i.e. groundpounding from knee on stomach, eyegouging, grappling with knives, clinch and slam while staying on your feet, etc.) is a reality type of thing. What they really disagree with is the ole "rolling in guard for 20 mins" ........ and hell I don't think there's one MMA guy that would disagree with them there either.

The problems I see with the "RAT" program (even though I still train it here and there) is that if you get into a fight with an opponent who can out muscle your clinch, sprawl on your takedown, bomb you into the wall, reverse your single leg attempt, ****zer you down from the underhook position, etc. .
...... well you try and "straight blast him and grab his neck" and see what happens. :rolleyes:

Aliveness the way Matt talks about really opens your eyes to things.

What I'm starting to ...... :( well "put together" is a system where you either intercept the fight right away with a first strike and combo attack on your feet, OR clinch/slam and pound from knee on stomach or mount. Obviously though I include scenario training, multiple opponent strategies (which are completely different tactics from any kind of "fighting" whatsoever) weapon tactics, hidden weapon drills, grappling with knives, getting to your feet fast, etc.

So far that's what seems to work best for me.... although I'm not going around challenging gangs off the street either..... nor do I wish to.

Ryu

LEGEND
08-27-2002, 07:17 PM
LOL...I feel u...this is TRUE and funny as hell...my skinny azz vietnamese friend just got tired of trying to find a martial art so guess what he did in his last fight??? He used a stun gun on a guy...HAHAHA! I was like what the hell??? He showed me the stun gun and said man...I can't knock him out...I can't wrestle him...don't want to kill him...it was this or the mace! I might do that but I'm afraid to look like a WUS.

Ryu
08-27-2002, 08:35 PM
"He showed me the stun gun and said man...I can't knock him out...I can't wrestle him...don't want to kill him...it was this or the mace! I might do that but I'm afraid to look like a WUS."

Wus or not, your friend won his fight! :D

Hey I carry OC and a tactical folder wherever I go. I'd much rather use "mace" and look like a "wus" then use a knife and be tried as a murderer, or try to "fight" a guy that I simply have no business trying to fight hand to hand.
Use whatever gets you the win, man. :)

Ryu

shinbushi
08-28-2002, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by LEGEND
www.straightblastgym.com
has a interview that would disagree with MARC's interview but

Where on the site?

LEGEND
08-28-2002, 04:18 PM
Go to the q and a section...u'll find numerous areas about SPORT vs. STREETFIGHTING. Have fun...

tnwingtsun
08-28-2002, 05:38 PM
I liked the "Straightblast site.

LEGEND,

"I do agree with SOME of the things he stated and some not regarding the grappling aspect and so forth and how we just train for sport etc..."

I think you missed the point Mark was making,he didn't say ALL
groundfighters train for sport only.