PDA

View Full Version : Seven Stars

phoenix-eye
08-28-2002, 04:38 AM
Could be a dumb question but what is the significance of the "Seven Stars" as in 7 star Praying Mantis and 7 star stance?

What does this refer to?

Also - there is 8 Step Praying Mantis - how does this differ from 7 star mantis.

Does the 8 step have any connection to Ba Gua principles? As the name would suggest some relation.

I don't do any of these styles - I'm just interested.

Kristoffer
08-28-2002, 05:08 AM
Don't train them so don't totally trust me on this one :D But I've heard (i think) that the seven *stars* are the various places on your body as in:
elbows, dan tien, head, knees etc.. Uhmm..

I also heard a theory that the seven stars and a form has some connections to a sort of star map. Tied with chinese beleifes and astorolgy.

Radhnoti
08-28-2002, 06:46 AM
I don't train 7 * either, but I've heard that the seven stars can refer to the fact that they train to hit you with a "signature technique" 7 times (in a perfect world)...each with a different "weapon" or "star". As I recall, it was:
fist/wrist/elbow/shoulder/left elbow/left wrist/left fist ? The person who was talking about it seemed to be indicating that it was one continuous attack with each "star" making contact and then progressing to the next.
You might find a bit more reliable info on the mantis forum for this...at the LEAST it'll be more reliable than MY info. :D
The guy might've just been seeing how gullible I was and what he could make up that I'd fall for. :o

count
08-28-2002, 08:20 AM
Well I always thought seven stars refered to the joints. Wrists, elbows, shoulders, hips, knees, ankles and back. But PaulLin showed me something interesting the other day about the 7 star on-guard. The arms actually trace the big dipper. Lead arm is the handle and the guard is the dipper. As opposed to the 8 step which is more rounded and opened up.

r.(shaolin)
08-28-2002, 08:50 AM
You might want to look at

phoenix-eye
08-29-2002, 04:27 AM
Thanks for all the help and info.

Kristoffer
09-14-2002, 07:41 AM
no biggie :)