PDA

View Full Version : Choy Lay Fut web articles

yutyeesam
08-28-2002, 10:00 PM
There have been lots of CLF articles written in print media, but I had a harder time finding very many technical CLF articles on the web. Can anyone refer to some that they know of?

Thanks for your help,

Serpent
08-28-2002, 10:07 PM
There's lots of articles on www.clfma.com

yutyeesam
08-28-2002, 10:18 PM
Hey Serpent, (wasn't one of your taglines, "Agghh! Quick Behind you!"? Was that from a particular movie?)
Thanks! I've visited that a few times, but never even noticed they had articles! And also, I found some articles that Howard Choy wrote called "Articles of Interest" at
http://www.tai-chi-centre.com/steelfan.htm

Since there is so much diversity in the different CLF lineages (which, btw, I view as a strength), I'd be interested to see articles online from more than just the Chan family. Are there any?

Thanks again,

Serpent
08-28-2002, 11:45 PM
I'm sure there are some, but I'm not sure where. There are so many CLF sites though, I guess just trawling through a bunch of them might turn something up.

I just remembered when I read your post how many there were at clfma.com.

As for the tagline, I think it's from several movies! ;)

CLFNole
08-29-2002, 08:10 AM
123:

I have searched countless websites for good articles. The Chan Family site has articles albeit generally short ones. Nothing else out there has anything really good that you would probably be looking for. I think you have to do like the rest of us and collect magazines with CLF articles in them.

Thats the only thing I can think of.

Peace.

yutyeesam
08-29-2002, 10:01 AM
Thanks for letting me know, and your input, CLFNole.

What would you CLF people think about the idea of having a CLF magazine online? Ideally, it'd be a technical journal, where the diversity of pieces and perspectives would be highly encouraged?
Would you be willing to contribute articles?

The grammar/spelling would be edited, and of course, any sladerous remarks defaming other people would be edited out. It would just be articles devoted to the sharing the technical information one has about the Choy Lay Fut they learned.

I know there have been great posts in the past in this forum, but to dig those out could be a cumbersome task, plus, one would need to get through all the bashing and negativity.

If you are willing, and think this is an idea that could work, I'd be happy to set up a trial site on tripod.com

I really view the diversity of perspective that exists in CLF is a strength, but on this forum, we treat it as a weakness and contribute to our own destruction by in-fighting.

I work at a computer lab 20 hours a week, usually twiddling my thumbs. I'd be very happy to maintain this.

Would appreciate your feedback.
Thanks,

yutyeesam
08-29-2002, 03:36 PM
nevermind.
carry on.

Fu-Pow
08-29-2002, 03:47 PM
YatYeeSam...great idea...I would be more than willing to help....that would be competely awesome. I am a decent writer and have been putting together articles for our schools newsletter. We could have links to CLF sites, articles, pictures and we could get into some really good technical stuff...techniques....applications...training methods....etc....what would be really cool is if we could have input from all the branches. Perhaps we could start breaking down some of the "walls" out there. I'd really like to do a comparison of the different forms from different branches. There is so much difference in the quantity of forms, names of the forms and techniques contained within the forms and yet it is all called CLF. Feel free to email anytime you want to get this thing started. I know there are other people on this forum that would love to contribute to something like this.

mysteri
08-29-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by yutyeesam

I really view the diversity of perspective that exists in CLF is a strength, but on this forum, we treat it as a weakness and contribute to our own destruction by in-fighting.

u know, that's the idea that these forums were envisioned to spawn, yet so many ignorant people DO use the internet as a cowardly tool to anonymously bash people and their systems. if i was CLF and had anything to contribute, i'd be more than happy to. :D keep up the hard work!

Fu-Pow
08-29-2002, 04:43 PM
Mystery-

Why do you quote Dave Lacey in your sig?

yutyeesam
08-29-2002, 08:26 PM
Fu-Pow,
You rule!!! Thanks! I thought I was totally in over my head to try to get people interested in this.

I already set up the trial domain at:
http://clfmagazine.tripod.com

I'm not a very good web designer, I use templates and pre-made stuff. If you or anyone has ideas, feel free to share them.
But I don't think this needs to be flashy or intricate; we're not selling anything. The most important thing about it is the content text. My personal style is very plain. But, as I said, I'm open to suggestions on design format.

So.....
Let's get to it. And by the way, I'll be putting my suggestions up here on the forum, so people can respond directly with feedback (this would be a truly constructive use of this forum).

How should we break up the categories for the articles? What pops in my head are:
-Techniques/Physical Structure
-History
-Philosophy

Anything else?

Serpent
08-29-2002, 08:28 PM
You might want to leave history out of it, or it might just turn into another sh!tfight. Why not just keep it to techniques, forms, drills, etc. without anything controversial. Then all the branches can contribute, hopefully without any infighting.

yutyeesam
08-29-2002, 08:38 PM
Serpent - good idea. indeed. I agree with that. Maybe later on, much later on, when many, many, many more bridges are built between lineages, we can creep into the area of history.

Mysteri - thanks for the encouragement.

thanks!!

yutyeesam
08-29-2002, 08:43 PM
whoops, posted too soon. So, incorporating Serpent's idea, the categories could be:
-Techniques
-Forms
-Drills
-Health
-Suppliments to CLF Training

Feedback?

dutch
08-29-2002, 09:26 PM
YutYeeSum,

I am very pleased to see someone try to do something positive for CLF on these forums. I think your idea is a very good one. I would not hesitate to help you in any way I can. I just finished the website for my Sifu's school, and was going to start writing some articles for it. Maybe we can set up links between the sites for things like that. That way articles don't have to be written twice. On your website you can write a brief introduction, and then set the link to the other website. You have my permission and blessing to link our website, and you should check with the Chan Family website to do the same. Let me know how I can help you anytime.

Dutch
www.choyleefut.us

yutyeesam
08-29-2002, 09:56 PM
Dutch-
Thank you very much for your kind words and your generosity. Very good idea about making links. If it is okay, what I'd like to do is link directly to your "articles" page.

Thank you so much for your support and encouragement.

dutch
08-29-2002, 10:05 PM
YutYeeSum,

Sounds fine to me, be my guest. I'm looking forward to seeing this idea grow.

Fu-Pow
08-29-2002, 11:37 PM
Yat Yee Sam-

Here's a good link from Ng family on "Ten Seeds of CLF"

http://www.ngfamilymartialarts.com/ten_elements.htm

Here's on one the weapons of CLF by Tat Wong

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=104

Eddie
08-30-2002, 12:04 AM
yatyeesam,
if ever you need, I have about 20 megs of asp enabled webspace left, which I am more than happy to 'donate' to your magazine for use.

e-mail me for more detail.

I think your idea is probably the best in a long time :)
Eddie

yutyeesam
08-30-2002, 06:57 AM
Thanks Fu-Pow! Keep 'em coming, and I'll keep plugging them in.

Eddie - thank you for your kind words and generosity. If people really take to the idea of contributing articles, as it grows, your extra space would be very very valuable. Thank you.

alecM
08-30-2002, 08:03 AM
Ive already put a link to the magazine on the main page of my website and if I can help in any other way such as extra web space let me know.

yutyeesam
08-30-2002, 08:27 AM
Thanks alecM! If you don't mind, I'm going to create a link to your article on the Ching Jong. Did you write that piece?

alecM
08-30-2002, 08:50 AM
I don't mind the link to the Ching Jong article, but I don’t think I could honestly claim the article as an original piece of work, as most of the info came from some English language magazine articles I used to have and some Chinese magazine articles that were translated into English for me by a friend.

Galadriel
If you are reading this thread I have copied the video of the fight and its just a case of getting the tape to you.

yutyeesam
08-30-2002, 09:52 AM
Thanks, alecM. I made the link, but didn't put your name by it.

It's coming along, slowly but surely.
http://clfmagazine.tripod.com

Galadriel
09-02-2002, 11:14 AM
Hi Alec,

Thanks a million, I sent you a pm.

As regards to the magazine, very good idea!!!

Galadriel

mysteri
09-02-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Fu-Pow
Mystery-

Why do you quote Dave Lacey in your sig?

fu pow-
i was goin through his website one day (as i do many), and u know how sometimes u come across certain words that seem to speak to u? so i jus thought that it's a great quote about where i'm comin from.. thanx for askin

dutch
09-03-2002, 12:56 AM
YutYeeSum,

Well, I finally finished the article I told you I was writing. I just hope people find it informative and enjoy reading it. Take a look at it and let me know what you think.

http://www.choyleefut.us/NgLunMa.html

I'm asking you for feedback because I know you are always looking for information about CLF, and I know I would get some good feedback from you.

Thanks,

Dutch

yutyeesam
09-03-2002, 06:38 AM
Hi dutch,
Thanks very much! I enjoyed reading it. I'll post the link under "techniques"...unless you think I should post it under "forms".

To all who are interested:
I'm creating another category called "CLF Video Mpegs", thanks to alecM. So if there are CLF video mpegs on the www that you know about that I haven't posted, let me know.

Thanks for all your support.

dutch
09-03-2002, 09:53 AM
YutYeeSum,

I think it more belongs listed under forms than techniques. Forms is what I put it under on our website. Thanks for the kind words.

Dutch

yutyeesam
09-03-2002, 10:04 AM
Dutch- I put your article in the forms section.

I'd like to put a long graphic related to CLF to replace where the blue boxes are. But I have no skills when it comes to this sort of stuff. Is anyone willing to volunteer their talent to help me with this? Obviously, it'd need to be something CLF neutral, not taken illegally.

Keep the feedback and the ideas coming!

Thanks,