PDA

View Full Version : If a wing chun guy were to make it and be successful in the best mma...

Martial Joe
08-29-2002, 01:58 AM
What would you think of him?
Do you think he would be a legend?
Or?

yenhoi
08-29-2002, 06:32 AM
I already think pretty highly of Emin Boztepe

reneritchie
08-29-2002, 07:09 AM
If a WCK person were to win a UFC or Pride belt, or, dare we dream, a Pride Grand Prix, beating known and legitimate fighters (the Silvas, Sakurabas, Bustamantes, Noguieras, Ortizs, etc.), using actual WCK (not just the name), IMHO the collective WCK world, much as we snobbishly pooh-pooh such events, would lose their friggen minds. In addition, the "kung fu" people in general would start to strut out their "validation", and the "stand-up" arts in even more general, would give a Mo Smith/Chuck Liddel like sigh of relief, and regard the individual, even while dissing his lineage and the incorrectness of the WCK he used (we're a fairly petty bunch, after all), as a quasi-hero, using them as advertising, poster material, and slipping it into every conversation akin to a latter day Bruce Lee.

BTW- If you're in Boztepe sifu's organization and you think highly of him, it's one thing. If you're in another, unrelated organization, and you think highly of him, it's something else (something, irrespective of the individual, we could use more of in our art).

RR

AndrewS
08-29-2002, 10:36 AM
Hey Rene,

in the background one name echoes . . . Jannis . . . Jannis . . . Jannis. . .

Later,

Andrew

old jong
08-29-2002, 02:54 PM
Nothing is impossible!
A fighter could be trained specificaly for this purpose.He would have to possess great skills both physicaly and technicaly and have specific training against grapplers etc...

Now if he was succesful,we could start behaving like these morons who trolls here and bring absolute internet pollution to all these poor innocent BJJ and MMA forums everywhere!...We could start offering our kind advices on how to block a punch or protect a centerline to everybody willing to learn or not!....;) Hey!...Those of us who teach,could start asking for scandalous amounts of cash for a private lesson and have students flocking at our doors!;) ...Forget this whole paragraph!:D

Martial Joe
08-29-2002, 04:05 PM
Anything else?

PHILBERT
08-29-2002, 04:35 PM
Hey MartialJoe, being that you are taking wrestling in high school, considering on training for NHB for a few years and thought you'd see what everyone thought of it here?

Martial Joe
08-29-2002, 04:50 PM
Yes I was refering to myself.

anerlich
08-29-2002, 04:55 PM
I'm going to concern myself with this when and if it happens.

ChocolateDoggy
08-29-2002, 10:53 PM
i doubt it's likely a wing chun fighter will get good in any MMA events. It's MIXED martial arts. Most people that get good probably do more then one art, probably like two or three, maybe more. Just with wing chun you might not get that far, you'd have to probably have trained in BJJ or something so you can fight well on the ground. the only except would be if you were yip man or someone like that.. Hmm, anyone think yip man could have won the UFC? He sounds like he was really good at wing chun.. like beyond good or something.

reneritchie
08-30-2002, 07:41 AM
Where I live, we get UFC (US), KotK (US), Superbrawl (US), PrideFC (Japan), UCC (Canada), MFC (sp?, Canada) and maybe one or two others on PPV. The growingly mind-numbing fact is that 90% of the introductions are:

(Fighter's Name) studies BJJ and Muay Thai (sometimes interspersed with wrestling and/or boxing).

Personally, I used to enjoy it more when the fighters have different styles (and still do, though it happens less frequently).

RR

Neo
08-30-2002, 09:02 AM
Hey Rene,

in the background one name echoes . . . Jannis . . . Jannis . . . Jannis. . .

Later,

Andrew

Andrew, I hear it too...

Jannis....Jannis...Jannis...

Must be the walls round here

reneritchie
08-30-2002, 09:06 AM
Well, d@mnit, make it so!

AndrewS
08-30-2002, 09:10 AM
Rene,

not before the right time.

Alasdair,

I take it you've met 'mini-Sifu' (as we were calling him last summer).

Later,

Andrew

Neo
09-02-2002, 04:26 AM
Andrew

it is planned for us to meet him in December. I have heard an awful lot about him, mainly from Simon and from Andy Cross who came across to you guys- and cant wait to get my **** kicked!!!
If you have time, let me know what you thought of Andy C while he was there! Simon will discuss it with you... When he does come, I shall be pushing all my tall students to the front!

Rene...

the echoes I hear will happen, Im sure.