PDA

View Full Version : okinawa karate and the hakka arts

NARVAL
08-29-2002, 03:22 AM
Hello everyone,
Has anyone seen the performance of okinawa karate (naha te tradition : goju ryu, uechi ryu) and been able to connect techniques or principles to their own style : lung ying, pak mei, spm...
Thank you in advance for your help.

Pakmei
08-29-2002, 04:15 AM
Narval,

I think you will find that Okinawa Karate doesn't resemble anything like the Hakka Arts such as: Pak Mei, Lung Ying & Chow Gar Tong Long (SPM).

Speaking from a Pak Mei perspective, our body shape, foundation, power generation & techniques are completely different to that of Goju Ryu, Urechi Ryu, etc.

The Hakka arts are primarily based on fusing soft and hard together.

I believe that Goju Ryu and Urechi Ryu are descended more from the Fujian (Fukkian) White Crane style.

mantis-1
08-29-2002, 04:50 AM
I have seen a form from one of the karate systems don't ask which as I cant remember. But there was a striking resemblance to our core form the three step arrow, there were obviously differences but the 3 step routine was clearly visable along with very similar hand and arm movements. There used to be a thread on here somewhere explaining that karate again I cant remember which branch was heavily influenced by the hakka arts. Whether this is true I don't know, but the form I saw definatley resembled the 3 step arrow form Saam Bo Gin.

regards

Pakmei
08-29-2002, 05:40 AM
I know that one of the styles of Karate (Shorinji Kempo - I think) has the San Chin form from the Ngo Chu system (5 Ancestors style).

There is another Karate style (either Goju Ryu or Urechi Ryu) that definitely has it's roots from the Fujian White Crane style.

It's quite believeable that a Karate style could have the Saam Bo Jin form that has it's roots in Chow Gar Tong Long (SPM).

However I can only speak from a Pak Mei point of view.
To my knowledge I have not seen any Karate styles performing the Jik Bo Kuen (Straight Steps Fist) or any of the original forms like Gow Bo Teuw, etc, from the Pak Mei style.

Lets face it, the majority of the traditional Japanese styles all have their roots from one or maybe more of the traditional Chinese styles.

I guess the originator of this post is trying to trace the Karate styles heritage!

RENEGADE_MONK
08-29-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Pakmei

There is another Karate style (either Goju Ryu or Urechi Ryu) that definitely has it's roots from the Fujian White Crane style.

You're right about Goju and Uechi along with Ryuei and most Naha styles follow Fujian principles, or has absorbed Fujian principles

joedoe
08-29-2002, 04:16 PM
I practice Ngor Chor Kun (5 Ancestors) and I have seen similarities between the some of the Okinawan arts and our style. You can see the essence of the moves are similar, but the execution or emphasis is slightly different.

Might make for an interesting study when I have more time on my hands :)