PDA

View Full Version : Workshops

Eight_Triagram_Boxer
08-29-2002, 07:05 PM
I would like to inform everyone that my teacher, Master David Bond Chan, is now holding workshops for small groups, upon request, starting in September. The purpose of these workshops is to discuss and educate those who have any questions or doubts, want to learn, or are just curious about Gong Baotien Bagua or Song style Xing-I as taught by Master Chan.

The price for these workshops is 100 dollars per person. If you have any questions, comments or would like to attend, please contact us at Baguaboxer@aol.com or call 646.334.8824.

You can also contact Master Chan at:
161 Bowery Street
7th Floor
New York, NY 10002

count
08-29-2002, 07:50 PM
What are theses about? Topics? How much time is invovled? What's the scheduling? Got anything going that last weekend in Sept.? Is there any minimum, what if only a few sign on? Can you give any more specifics? I'd like to spend a day with your teacher depending on what he's got going.

Eight_Triagram_Boxer
08-29-2002, 08:00 PM
Count...
The number of people should be 3 and up, depending. What's covered is Xing-I and/or Bagua. The topic is based on your questions and where the conversation goes. Why don't you call or e-mail when you are sure of the date and we can set something up for you.

blacktaoist
08-30-2002, 06:22 AM
I would like to attend, Because I 've a lot of questions about Gong Baotien Yin Style Ba Gua Zhang. Will your teacher be teaching the combat side of the art?

count
08-30-2002, 07:00 AM
There is 3! How's Sunday the 29th sound to you guys?

David, what's the best time to reach you at that phone number?

Eight_Triagram_Boxer
08-30-2002, 07:47 AM
BT, yes my teacher will be focusing mostly on combat. This is his main focus in martial arts anyway. However, if anyone has other questions he'll do his best to answer them.

Count, I'll be at the school from 11-1 Mon and Thurs. Any other day try in the evening, 7-9. September 29th should be good. I'll check the calendar and get back to you.

Walter Joyce
08-30-2002, 07:56 AM
Are these workshops in NYC, or will Master Chan travel?

blacktaoist
08-30-2002, 07:57 AM
My questions will be mostly about Yin style offense and defense techniques in your method. I hope to see how you Gong Baotien guys apply this. So far All I seen was forms, I want to feel how you guys focus and utilize your Techniques.

Yo when I get off work, I hit you up on your e-mail, I know a few people that may want to go to your teacher workshop, that is from out of town coming to NCY for Maoshan event. They wanted me to do a workshop, but I have to much $hit going on in my life right now. So I send them to your teacher. This can be a good experience for them and money for your teacher............LOL

I myself just want to see the difference between you guys style of Yin style, and the Yin Style I practice Cao Yin Ba Gua Zhang.

Lincoln
09-02-2002, 08:30 AM
I would also be interested. The day after the tournament should work for me as well. I would be interested in anything that I can learn about Yin Style, especially from Gong Bao Tian. I just do not know how ready I will be for a work shop after sparring in the tournament.:D

Lincoln

Eight_Triagram_Boxer
09-02-2002, 02:41 PM
My teacher will only be holding the workshops in NYC. Sorry WJ.

Lincoln, you don't have to worry too much, it's about the information, not necessarily what you can do.

Eight_Triagram_Boxer
09-06-2002, 12:18 AM
Got to do it...

Ray Pina
09-06-2002, 08:07 AM
I'm going to be in Utah Sept 25 to the 27, but if its held before or after that I will also attend. Spending a week at my master's camp changed my understanding completely.

If any of you are flying in to NYC for this but don't want to pay NYC hotel rates, please consider yourself invited to stay at my place in Long Beach -- about a 50 minute car/train ride in to Chinatown.

Lincoln
09-06-2002, 08:17 AM
I was wondering if anyone could help me in regards to ideas for transportation to the tournament? I know that a cab would be too exspensive. What about the subway? Does it go out there? Would anyone be interested in renting a car for the day with me? I would just like to know what my options are. Thank you for your time.

I am talking about Maoshan's tournament on September 28th.

Ray Pina
09-06-2002, 08:53 AM
Where are you leaving from?

If you're flying in, best bet is to get to Penn Station via train, bus or cab. From there you can get into Jersey via the PATH train and take a cab saving you a ton of $.

Don't take a cab from NYC. You'll sit in traffic at the tunnels or bridge and get charged a fortune. Take a train to Jersey first. If you are renting a car from the airport, then that's another story. You could drive to where the tournament is in about an hour and a half. Maybe less if traffic is good. Maybe more if its bad.

I don't know if I'm going yet, but I will in a week or two. IF that's the case maybe everyone can meet up and we can car pool.

Lincoln
09-06-2002, 09:07 AM
I am going to be staying at the Barclay Intercontinental at Times Square. I will not be coming from the airport, I arrive two days before the tournament.

Evolutionfist, thank you very much for the info.

Lincoln

cherrypraxis
09-06-2002, 09:43 AM
you didn't tell the guys what time the workshop is. even teacher was asking me! i forgot to tell you that he was asking me about it the other day. anyway, he said 9 a.m. should be fine but the guys attending or competing for maoshan's tournament might find 9 a.m. a little too early since they will be traveling from all over. i'm not sure...

anyway, the tentative time seems to be 9 a.m. (sorry for not telling you about this sooner...i completely forgot until i read this forum).

Justa Man
09-06-2002, 10:04 AM
go to www.njtransit.com and check the time schedule of the #165 bus. it runs from port authority (42nd and 8th ave) through hackensack (where the tournament is). it'll let you off about 2 blocks west of the hall where the tournament is.
that is your most cost-effective bet. the ride is about 50 minutes.

Ray Pina
09-06-2002, 10:37 AM
Just a Man is right, go that route. Port Authority is right up the block from that hotel -- though I hate buses.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Eight_Triagram_Boxer
09-06-2002, 01:59 PM
The workshop will be held Sunday, September 29th at 11:00 am.

9:00 am would be too early for anyone from out of town or coming from the tournament to make it.

Lincoln
09-08-2002, 08:29 AM
Thank you for all the help!

I will have to confirm later for the workshop.

Lincoln

Eight_Triagram_Boxer
09-12-2002, 06:37 PM
For anyone attending the workshop... I need a head count. Please, e-mail or call to confirm that you will be coming. I want to get a list of names and perhaps styles to better prepare for the workshop.

Thanks...

Carl M
09-14-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Eight_Triagram_Boxer
The workshop will be held Sunday, September 29th at 11:00 am.

9:00 am would be too early for anyone from out of town or coming from the tournament to make it.

Yes, 11:00 AM is a good idea. Anyone taking the subway to the school can take take the downtown shuttle at the West 4th Street subway stop. If you're taking the A, C, or E train, go to the lower platform. If you're taking the F train, walk across the platform. Get off at the Grand Street stop. The school is 1-1/2 blocks north of Grand Street. Take the stairway to the right of the turnstiles as you exit. You will be on Grand Street and Chrystie Street. Broome Street is just north of you. Bowery is on the corner just west of you. The school is on Bowery, between Broome and DeLancey. We're in the building which has the Chinese rosewood furniture store.

PS - we're also teaching the 2-handed saber and the Flying Dragon-Tiger Gate staff; please check www.swordforum.com and go into the Chinese Swordsmanship site or Teacher Chan's website for more details. Depending on how many out-of-area people are interested, Teacher Chan may decide to have periodic workshops on these topics.

Eight_Triagram_Boxer
09-18-2002, 08:51 PM
Just a reminder.
:D

Eight_Triagram_Boxer
09-23-2002, 02:46 PM
<bumb>

Eight_Triagram_Boxer
09-27-2002, 11:46 AM
last time...;)

Eight_Triagram_Boxer
09-30-2002, 08:02 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for coming to the workshop. I know I learned a lot and I hope you did as well.
Thanks BT, Count and Hispanic Palm for showing up and making it a bit more interesting...

count
09-30-2002, 08:44 PM
I enjoyed it alot. Hope you guys have a lot more successfull workshops in the future. I'd love a copy of the video so I can keep those fond memories of your teacher kicking my butt even after the bruises fade. Just kidding :D but shoot me off a copy if you can.