PDA

View Full Version : Elvis, Bruce Lee demos and karate fights circa mid 70's

rogue
08-29-2002, 08:10 PM
Here's the link (http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=286)

Sharky
08-29-2002, 08:15 PM
the burger king lives.

good find rogue.

SevenStar
08-29-2002, 08:18 PM
One of Elvis' teacher's still has a school in my city.

Kristoffer
08-30-2002, 05:13 AM
Elvis a karateka? Now that's news to me... Kinda weird

Former castleva
08-30-2002, 06:35 AM
Yes,he was.It was a big thing for him,a while ago there was a very theatre type old Elvis show in which he sang and also fought a lot,it was like a musical.
Quite silly to me,but it was like theatre.
First I heard he was a blue belt...then I heard he was a black belt!
Then there is this quite significant site on the web of a guy (karate one) who knew Elvis,and he states he was 7th.dan in karate (it really does not make any sense to me...) kenpo karate was his style,itīs unbelievable.Then he died of drug use...
I wonder if someone can actually correct this 7th.dan thing,it does not sound real.
:eek: :confused:

dezhen2001
08-30-2002, 06:45 AM
i remember reading an Ad in a MA mag that said "join the association that graded Elvis to BB" :D

gee i know i would want to :D

david

Sho
08-30-2002, 06:58 AM
I've heard that Elvis was 2 dan.

Elvis did not die of drugs (as in cocaine), but he used far too many medicines which got him to that condition. Sad, really.

Kristoffer
08-30-2002, 07:32 AM
2 dan nonsense... that's just plain rediculous and anyone beleiving that would be a fool... But I guess he was a Mcdojo regular then? 2 Dan :rolleyes: pffffffft

The Willow Sword
08-30-2002, 07:37 AM
the king has got a real wide stance in that one,,,shows kind of that maybe the 2nd dan he claimed to have was not the traditional title. as you will note that Parkers stance is a little more close in. i wonder if elvis was tapped in the nads in sparring with that stance?

looks like a cool vid.

MRTWS

Qi dup
09-01-2002, 10:58 PM
I'd fight Elvis, that would be great:)

Qi dup
09-01-2002, 11:01 PM
Cool site by the way. I'd buy the video if it had the Bruce Lee clips in it. Could you imagine Bruce Lee vs. Elvis? That would be awsome!

Leonidas
09-01-2002, 11:50 PM
Elvis's blackbelt was more of an honorary type thing given to him by Ed Parker? prolly just for the fact that he was famous and also practiced his art. Sorta like Blackbelt for a day. I dont think he really earned it if thats what your wondering.

Sho
09-02-2002, 07:55 AM
According to my knowledge, Elvis really practiced karate and deserved his black belt.

SevenStar
09-02-2002, 10:47 AM
Elvis did actually train. He had a black belt in chito ryu, and later trained with the guy I mentioned in my first post, kang rhee. I trained with him as time permitted, for about 4 years. as far as I know, the rank given to him by parker was honorary, which seems coomon for stars. Remember Brian Genese? (from the series "Street Justice" and various B movies) he has a black belt in TKD, but trained in hung gar for a while and was given an honrary black sash in it.

SevenStar
09-02-2002, 10:48 AM
oh yeah, kang rhee also gave him an honrary rank - 6th or 7th degree, I believe.

edit: I just found this: http://www.epgold.com/private/karate.html

old jong
09-02-2002, 12:39 PM
When "Karate" was magic and Bizarre hands formations (http://www.epgold.com/private/karate16.jpg)coupled with wild facial expressions were synonym with martial arts! ;) Those were also the good o'll days when a good extra high kick was the envy of all white belts with stiff legs!
Bill "superfoot" Wallace,Joe Lewis,Chuck Norris,Bruce Lee,David Carradine...:eek:were ruling the world back then. :rolleyes: Then came the ninjas!...But it is a different story.;)

IronFist
09-02-2002, 01:05 PM
Then came the ninjas!...But it is a different story.

Yes. They totally cut off heads without even thinking twice!

Sorry, I had to. Back on subject now.

IronFist