PDA

View Full Version : Fight Training

friday
09-02-2002, 01:23 AM
hi guys
just wondering
what u guys do when preparing for a fight.
individual training, with coach etc
how is it different when preparing for a tournament.
how long do u train for
u have a special diet?

also
how long has it been since a kung fu tournament has been staged in Sydney/Australia.

what kind of fights are allowed in Australia

in general fight training :) thanks

SevenStar
09-02-2002, 10:34 AM
What kind of fight?

Stone Monkey
09-02-2002, 11:39 AM
Here are a couple of articles you may find helpful:

Training for full-contact Kung Fu:

Full Contact (http://www.kickboxing.com/knowledge/fitness/ckc10.htm)

Training Kung Fu for tournaments, etc.:

Can Kung Fu Compete? (http://www.kickboxing.com/knowledge/fitness/ckc2.htm)

friday
09-02-2002, 05:26 PM
hmmm i'm thinking of full contact fights more standup
takedowns, striking, throws, perhaps san shou would be a good e.g. of the kind of fight i'm thinking about.

i'm not that familiar with the types of fights u can have and the rules. ive seen continual sparring and point sparring and i don't mean those.

thanks for the info and keep it coming :) i'm surprised its only had a few replies considering the number of views this thread has had. :)

Ka
09-02-2002, 05:31 PM
Friday
I don't know if you consider it in the bracket of KF but local shooto comps are held at Boxing Works.They wear headgear,box,mouthguard and open hand gloves.Its well worth watching if you have only been exposed to piont sparring.
Hope thats usefull.

friday
09-02-2002, 05:47 PM
hey Ka, :)
how r u?

isn't boxing works in the city? i think ive been up there b4 but not to see any competitions. id luv to go see one.

btw is that tibetan ba guazhang guy still teaching at the park...i can't remember which one was it hyde park?

how syour training going?

Ka
09-02-2002, 10:35 PM
Not too bad at all.
Currently drowning under the weight of assigments but pushing through slowly.
Yep Boxing works is at Castlereigh st,I can find out when a comp is happening.

Training well I still do my BGZ/YQ every morning(I guess I am one of the few to say I do it for health/focusetc),but have gone back to my really fourvite sport of Rock climbing which is now consuming my weekends.

However I try to get to HKWard Mat (Sydney Uni)room once a week with friends(mainly MMA people) and do typically stupid conditioning and play with some takedowns on the mats.Send us a PM if interested.

Con in Belmore park,well I was getting too many conflicting opinions,and didn't see what I am looking for so went back to doing what I have already been taught.

Tae Li
09-03-2002, 03:48 AM
hmmmm, hello all, tae li returns for a short period to grace you with her pressence:P

anyways, if your anything like me and struggling to lose weight b4 a fight, you live on water and vegies for a week and visit a sauna averyday b4 your fight by about a week, for quickest weight loss technique......

train hard......

i tend to train with extra clothes on for some reason, actually main reason being is when i actually fight im much much lighter on my feet with less clothing......

apart from that i train hard, motivate myself as much as possible and pray to the Lord for guidance;)

Anyways thats moi. and yes you should take my advise cos , well i dont know why.

Tae Li;)

friday
09-03-2002, 05:29 AM
Ka

Thanks Ka would luv to turn up for a comp to watch. boxing works has a pretty nice setup its pretty big and has a lot of equipment etc.
takedowns? MMA? hehe that sounds tempting might turn up when i hav etime as long as u promise these guys aren't going to pick on me. :P

Tae Li
hey dont mind me but eating only vegies and drinking water? does that provide your body with all the thigns it needs when training so hard and preparing to fight? i thought your body required protein to rebuild muscles and carbs to burn upetc.
it doesn't sound healthy. thankf ro the advice tho' :)
it sounds like it would help losing weight in a short amount of time. but it sounds like i will lose more muscle then say fat (which is what i would prefer).

i'm thinking of setting up a training schedule now that has a mix of different training as a preliminary b4 proper fight training and then...well to fight i guess. not necessarily competitions just to meet up with different ppl and fight ehh...for fun ;)

dezhen2001
09-03-2002, 01:04 PM
When i used to compete my training and diet wasn't much different to normal... i used to practise basics and combinations a lot more, split things up in to the likes of: footwork, hand work, leg work, flexibility, endurance, conditioning... but mainly focus on endurance and conditioning. My techniques just needed to be refined.

As for diet, i don't have a set plan - just eat whenever i feel the need to. Lots of chicken, tuna, vegetables, pasta, potatoes etc. Also junk food but that's another story ;) Usually i wait an hour after training.

Can't help u with respect to losing weight if that's what ur after... as i'm too skinny already (150lbs) :p

good luck! :)
david

friday
09-03-2002, 04:44 PM
hi dezhen

nope hehe i'm not after losing weight just getting fit enuff and good enuff to fight.

andoi
09-03-2002, 07:17 PM
hey friday
ok i dont hav a lot to add other than that the eating vegetables and drinking water is actually healthier(both for the body and the mind) than you may think. Water is the most important thing for any athlete and as for the protein myth well its just that a myth( you should check out a book called eat to win by Dr Robert Haas). And also remember that most martial arts stem from Buddhist institutions, and Buddha promoted a vegetarian lifestyle.
anyway hope you are enjoying your lunch. Keep training hard

dre
09-03-2002, 08:11 PM
hi guys
just wondering
what u guys do when preparing for a fight.
individual training, with coach etc

I am currently preparing for a CMA competition in New England. This is not fighting, but sparring. Recently Iv'e started some fullcontact to help myself out.

how is it different when preparing for a tournament.
how long do u train for
u have a special diet?

As I understand it self-defence is more drill oriented (implanted relfexes designed to counteract a specific attack). Where as sport traning is more of the free sparing type with Forms applications and weight distribution strikes used frequently.

I have not "special diet" although, I have a regular one :)

also
how long has it been since a kung fu tournament has been staged in Sydney/Australia.

what kind of fights are allowed in Australia

in general fight training :) thanks

Sorry, I don't know about competition in Aus. What I do know is that most organizations, from MMA to TKD, have different and very alien rules from eachother. Some may disallow grappling althougether while others encourage it for instance.

Merryprankster
09-04-2002, 03:19 AM
And also remember that most martial arts stem from Buddhist institutions, and Buddha promoted a vegetarian lifestyle.

Also, Hitler was a vegetarian, so that shows that vegetarians are evil.

friday
09-04-2002, 05:29 AM
MP give me a bit of information on your fight training
:)

Suntzu
09-04-2002, 06:20 AM
read this (http://www.dolfzine.com/page254.htm) it’s a good start… dude looks a lil' funny, but what can u do...it's not exactly what I do… but I cant be giving out my secrets:p :D

scotty1
09-04-2002, 07:55 AM
"protein myth well its just that a myth"

So you don't need protein to help your muscles repair then no?

And you can train to be a fighter on veggies and water? Sorry dude, but if you're training hard I'd be eating a lot more than just veggies and water. Still, if you are a veggie you don't have a lot of choice do you?

Still think you need protein though. Hitler was a veggie? Makes sense. :D

For a kickboxing comp (not full contact, light continuous) I'd do loads of cardio, sparring and pad work for endurance. Keep the techniques at a level you're very comfortable with because when the fight starts that's all your jelly arms and legs'll be able to pull off.

For full contact I guess I'd also include full contact sparring. Doh.

Also, I'd do weights to try and add a bit of er, weight to your strikes. But not if the healing time interferes with your other training though.

On another note, I would like to suggest that point sparring, although much derided on these forums is a useful training tool as it teaches you to hit first and not get hit in return.

I don't do it at comps myself as I don't think it's worth the money but like I say, a useful and fun training tool.

Can't be getting your head beaten in all the time right? :)

Merryprankster
09-04-2002, 08:05 AM
Friday,

My fight training consists of a LOT of interval work. A typical schedule might be something like:

Three times a week, Boxing for about an hour or so, consisting of:

15 minute warm up
2 rounds shadow boxing
5-6 rounds sparring or bagwork or padwork or a combination of those
3 rounds jump rope
400 sit ups
around 160 push ups
10 minute stretch

BJJ for about 1.5-2 hours consisting of drills, and about 30 minutes to over an hour of sparring with a new body every few minutes, depending on the schedule that day, maybe rest intervals, maybe not, depending on the schedule.

Then, sometime during the day, 3-4 times per week:

6 30 second intervals with a 5 pound heavy rope.

friday
09-05-2002, 03:17 AM
ahhh so thats why there are so many views but hardly any posts ;)
everyone is safeguarding their training secrets hehe

Thanks MP and everyone else who posted your tips :)
its greatly appreciated

Suntzu
09-05-2002, 08:04 AM
all the advice was good but the best progress comes from GOOd sparring… not just sparring were u get together after training and u beat on each other… but supervised and coached sparring… mistakes should be corrected as they are made…weaknesses should be worked on... if your kicks suck u do only kicks or a higher % of kicks for the round(s)... and if your not crawling out of the ring/mat when its over u haven't worked hard enuff...

friday
09-09-2002, 06:31 PM
hey ka

for some reason i cna't pm u and i can't email u for details
so could u pm me instead? thanks

Friday

joedoe
09-09-2002, 07:54 PM
I don't know if they still do it, but the Chinese Martial Arts Association used to hold full contact tournaments every few months. Eventually the rules became kickboxing rules and the kung fu disappeared.

I don't know if they still run the tournaments, but I eventually got tired of them and stopped attending.

You are allowed to hold full contact tournaments in NSW (there are certain requirements like getting permission, having a doctor present, having an ambulance present etc), but the main problem is getting insurance.