PDA

View Full Version : MMA Events?

Clint
09-02-2002, 01:15 PM
Why does anyone in here care about what happens in MMA events. Are you competing in them or something? I don't really follow them. Are there rules as to what one can do in them. If there are than they are not real fighting, just a sport. I don't know about anyone else but I am only concerned about dealing with confrontations in the real world. Protecting my family and myself. I do know that on the street anything goes. Strikes to the eyes, tearing off ears, ginger fist to the adams apple, ripping off nuts if necesary! I think everyone will agree that you do what it takes to win (to live). That is where the hardcore selfdefense takes place (on the street). This is kind of off the subject, but has anyone in here ever confronted a guy/girl who was skilled in knife fighting. Dangggg!!!!!! It is a force to be reckoned with. A friend of mine is skilled with a knife, but not really into empty hand fighting as much. I personally think it is good to know both. It is practically impossible to defend or attack a knife fighter empty handed, no matter what your style is. I learned that! I would like to learn it myself. Afterall it is about the only weapon we can all carry around legally and easily. Not to dogg the other traditional weapons, but i can't be dragging around an 8ft pole.:D

old jong
09-02-2002, 01:42 PM
MMA events are part of today's reality and many are looking at this kind of fighting as the thing to do in streetfighting.BJJ and Vale Tudo instructional tapes are selling very well and it seems that they are not hiding anything to the potential fighter.
What is the interest in MMA events?...You could expect to have to defend against similar tactics if attacked someday!...It could be a good thing to be well informed in these things.

Clint
09-02-2002, 02:10 PM
Thanx for the info Old Jong. I was just curious what all the fuss was about. That answers my question!:)

anerlich
09-02-2002, 06:31 PM
Sportfighting is the closest legal thing to real H2H combat that most people will experience. Along with sparring it's the only legal way to test yourself outside of wartime. Plus some people like to compete, and many more like to watch it.

The MA mags love that stuff because it gives them lots of exciting stuff to fill their pages and heaps of spin off advertisments etc. Publicity breeds popularity.

In Australia, lots of people like watching cricket for some reason, whereas I find watching grass grow or paint dry to be far more exciting. But I don't get angry with this situation, no point.

Why do you care that lots of other people like this stuff if you don't? And what makes you think sportfighters can't bite, eye gouge, scratch, rip off testicles etc. as or more skilfully than someone who never competes? Concentrating too much on sparring and sport cna lead to bad self defense habits, but IMO pulling all your techniques because they are "too deadly" and never using safe competitive modalities to train could lead to far worse habits and an inflated view of one's capabilities.

If you want to learn knife fighting, study Filipino MA or something like Hock Hockheim's system (which is substantially FMA based). Knife fighting is IMO potentially far too risky to consider unless you have no choice, but it is possible to learn some basic techniques and concepts which will give you a significant edge, no pun intended, over the untrained in a fairly short time. You also have to be a bit careful about where and when and what types of knife you can carry legally.

My teacher is an accredited instructor with Hock Hockheim's Scientific Fighting Congress. I've been studying the system for a couple of years. Scary stuff.

Martial Joe
09-03-2002, 11:44 AM
I care because its an intrest...a huge one.

reneritchie
09-03-2002, 12:02 PM
anerlich is correct.

btw- Andrew, did you watch PrideFC/K1 Shockwave? Nogueira (Brazilian Top Team BJJ & boxing) vs. Bob Sapp (370lbs football player training with AMC Pancration) was fight of the night IMHO.

RR

old jong
09-03-2002, 02:35 PM
That fight was something to see!...I would like to train that big guy in Wing Chun!...:eek:
Give him some times and a little technique and he will be unbeatable.

anerlich
09-03-2002, 03:33 PM
No I didn't, I actually seldom watch fights other than boxing. I don't have cable, and few public venues run them. I don't have a DVD either.

Clint
09-03-2002, 04:04 PM
Thanx for the info! Knife fighting is an interest of mine mainly because I love knives and I always have one on me. But I stay right with the laws in my state. It would be a last resort in a confrontation. Very Deadly fighting system!