PDA

View Full Version : Hey, African Tiger-Acting and Kung-fu?

I.M. Toast
09-02-2002, 03:18 PM
Greetings:
I'm going into acting myself, and I have been sort of curious about one thing. When you have a role as a "fighter" do you normally take some time to study the art of the character, or do you just follow the choreographer?

If you do study the art, how much time do you invest, and does it interfere with your training in your main art?

I.M.T.

African Tiger
09-02-2002, 05:12 PM
Sorry I'm just getting around to reading your post. Having some computer issues....

To answer your question, it really all depends on the role. Most of the time, I follow what the coreographer/stunt coordinator wants. Most coreographers/coordinators who do martial arts hire their own so they can get a specific technique, then hire other specific stuntmen for falls, fire, etc. It's all pretty much based on your capabilities meeting the needs of the director.

I would, of course, study the character in as much depth as possible. Wesley Snipes is trained in various different arts, so he has very little trouble adapting to the needs of the character. I'm sure he's a quick study because of his background.

In "One Night Stand" and "Murder at 1600", he plays a general tough guy and a cop, respectively, neither of whom have a discernable style; while in films like Art of War (and whatever that stupid airplane movie was called) he plays a special agent schooled in many different styles.

I suspect that you have a MMA background, as I do. Unless you are the star of the film, I can't see any more than 6 weeks being necessary to learn a particular style for stunt acting. Although I understand that Yuen Ho Ping trained Keanu et. al for nearly 6 months - again, all depends on what the coordinator/director wants.

Since I have a MMA background, but lean towards CMA and TKA, I can easily adapt to any other art. You may want to think about taking a break from your current art, if you need to learn something else for a film. But be sure to keep good notes on your current studies, if you wish to complete your system.

Good luck!

SifuAbel
09-02-2002, 08:47 PM
AT,

Check your PM box. :D

Crimson Phoenix
09-03-2002, 01:58 AM
I read an interview from famous choreographer Philip Kwok while he was working in France...he said he met incredible fighters, incredible athletes, capoeira guys who could do insane stuff, but in the end he didn't end choosing the most skilled ones, rather the ones who could imitate right away what he was asking...he said that in the movies, even though the physical performance can be hard depending on the role, what counts most is the ability to mimic in front of the camera the exact move the choreographer showed.
For those of you who have seen Prodigal Son, the theater actor Wing Chun master (don't remember his name right now), who also played in many movies like Mr Vampire or Warriors Two didn't know any Wing Chun...but he had the unique capacity to mimic everything he was shown on the spot...that's why he did a successful MA movie career in HK without having really trained any gong fu...

Former castleva
09-03-2002, 03:21 AM
CrimsonPhoenix,
I think Prodigal Son was Sammo Hung´s movie and he studied for three months for the film (I think he knows plenty of wing chun these days anyway) but you´re probably talking about another person.

Crimson Phoenix
09-03-2002, 03:42 AM
I'm definitely talking about another person...the guy who plays the theater star, and who teaches Samo in the movie...his name is Lam or Lau something...

dezhen2001
09-03-2002, 03:46 AM
Lam Chun Wai?

I think he trained in WC under one of Yip Mans students... also Samo Hung and Yuen Biao learned many skills, but not complete skills i think...

david

wooha
09-03-2002, 05:56 AM
Lam Ching Ying

RENEGADE_MONK
09-03-2002, 06:48 AM
I think he's referring to 2 different people

Lam Ching Ying ...Prodigal Son and Mr Vampire

and Leung Kar Yan is the one that never had any formal training but was able to mimmick what the choreographer wanted. he played Sammo's Sifu in Warriors two

fa_jing
09-03-2002, 09:10 AM
The WC sifu from Warriors 2? Not possible. Maybe the co-star? That would be believable.

Chang Style Novice
09-03-2002, 09:27 AM
Leung Kar Yan is one of my favorite kf movie guys! I had no idea he was untrained and just a natural mimic. That's pretty amazing.

The Victim
Legend of a Fighter
Knockabout

wow, really?

wall
09-03-2002, 04:29 PM
Hi,
quick pointers, ask for specific info if needed further.

1 - work primarily on the aestetics of the move rather than the move itself. That means the technique but also your body position and expression before the move, and at the end of it. Selling the move is more important than how good it actually is.

2 - film yourself in practice and then review each technique, understand from which angle it works best, which angle sells it best, etc. The choreographer will/should know most of this, but you should know what you can do best, how to set it up and sell it. If you can try to work with the choreographer, not for the choreographer.

3 - if you have a 1 style focus then a versatile style with good aesthetics and some acrobatics gives you the best all-round range and adaptability. Wushu is king here. Back it up with some strenght training and some wingchun for close range exchanges, and if you have time for some tumbling why not.

4 - go to a stunt school and learn to work with wires and small trampolines. There might be a stuntman standing in for that stuff, or you'll be shown what to do by the stunt team, but a little prior knowledge can only do you good.

5 - the director and choreo will know (and will tell you prior) the flavour of the character and therefore his fighting, so interpret that and if necessary study new skills (eg if you character has to use a japanese sword but you've never touched one before, get some practice asap with a teacher). How much practice depends on your learning ability and the quantity of new stuff, but remember you have to learn how to sell a few moves, not a whole martial art.

6 - timing and range are vital. If you have great moves but wrong timing and range in respect to your opponent and in relation to the camera then you won't be able to sell it.

That's all for now, hope it helps.

Good luck,

W