PDA

View Full Version : irregardless

Walter Joyce
09-03-2002, 07:53 AM
Okay, its not martially related but just so you know, there is no such word as irregardless. When you want to say or write this word, stop yourself and leave off the ir. Thanks.

Regardless of how you may feel about this, it drives me nuts.
Walter
:cool:

regulator
09-03-2002, 12:45 PM
ir·re·gard·less Pronunciation Key (r-gärdls)
adv. Nonstandard
Regardless.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Probably blend of irrespective, and regardless.]
Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

Walter Joyce
09-03-2002, 12:55 PM
While I can't speak to your intent for posting that, regardless of intent, I see this as formal support for my assertion.

I quote "it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so."

Walter

regulator
09-03-2002, 01:03 PM
actually, my intent was to refute "there is no such word as irregardless"

because the dictionary clearly states "Irregardless is a word..."

however, it is not proper english.

gazza99
09-03-2002, 01:25 PM
Irrelevant? Is that a word?

Walter Joyce
09-03-2002, 01:38 PM
In my profession your cite would be held up as incomplete, as the complete sentence reads, "Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing."

Couple this with the final sentence already quoted, "it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so," my point, that the phrase should not be used, is supported.

Your point, that the word exists, is actually superfluous, as simply typing irregardless brings it into existence in the shallow meaning of the word "is".

But does that make nitpicker a word as well? Guess I'll have to check my dictionary.

Simple logic, that "ir" added to regardless, creates a double negative, or redundancy, motivated my first post, intending to point out that irregardless should not be used.

And what was the ultimate point you were trying to make?

That I made a mistake?

Not my first, won't be my last. I try to learn from mine, maybe pass it along as well.

Btw, just curious, what dictionary did you cite?

Ahh the things to examine on a boring Tuesday.

Braden
09-03-2002, 03:28 PM
Relativism is a manxome foe.

guohuen
09-04-2002, 08:02 AM
May we add "actually" to this list?

Ray Pina
09-04-2002, 08:07 AM
WJ, you are correct. One should strive for improvement.

Sort of like the karate reverse punch. It exists, but who wants to give the enemey 50% off with the drawback. No need, inefficient.

patriot
09-04-2002, 10:40 AM
Regardless of what you say about irregardless, you guys don't know nothing.

SevenStar
09-04-2002, 11:19 AM
<thread_hijack>

you think the reverse punch is inefficient? As opposed to what?

</thread_hijack>

Ray Pina
09-04-2002, 12:00 PM
Now we're talking.

As apposed to capturing terriroty, say a bunker, and keeping it. Who goes and fights for a bunker, get's it, and then retreats again? That is exactly what the reverse punch, or any punch pulled back to rechamber does.

We are getting into terriroty again though, where the explanation will not be believed by those who have not seen this technology. A punch should not be pulled back, and in fact one should be able to deliver power from contact. One inch might as well be a mile.

I believe this is fundamental in practice (especially for Ba GUa/Hsing-I), and, more importantly, in thought. Even when running the hand or foot, it should be a hit. Everything's a hit. Hit everything.

That is just my humble experince to date, and I'll be the first one to say that I have A LOT more to learn from my teacher.

Kempo Guy
09-04-2002, 02:07 PM
FWIW, in Okinawan Karate there is a very good reason for chambering the fist. Ask a Ryukyu Kempo or Shorin Ryu practitioner and they can probably tell you the reasons for chambering at least in the Kata (forms). Not everything is what it seems... (like you guys needed to be told that :D)

KG

Ray Pina
09-05-2002, 06:26 AM
I'm actually a ni-dan in Isshin-Ryu. That was my base study, started when I was four and continued on to college.

Chamber is not bad in and of itself, but how it is done. The hand does not move, or come back, it stays where it is and the body moves forward, moving the head inside the circumfroance of attack and rechambering for another big strike.

But, generally, the hand should be able to strike repeatedly from where it is. Nothing against karate. Good karate is good karate. I'm not one of these guys that looks down on this and that style. I respect everyone who's into whatever they are doing.

But some ways are more efficient, more practical then others. I've always tried to remain open minded and see merit in other ways as long as they work.

When the hand is drawn back, you let the guy in, he just follows you back and strikes your bicep if he's playing and nice.

Having a karate background, I can see where someone misinterpreted a lot of stuff somewhere along the way.

regulator
09-05-2002, 09:01 AM
you are correct in asserting that it should not be supported in proper grammatical usage.
you are also correct in guessing my intent, which was to point out that it "is" a word and that i was attempting to point out your errror.
i disagree with your assertion that a word simply comes into existence because it is typed on a screen, however. if i type, for example, "opinaouifvno", this by itself does not create a "word". in order for a sequence of letters to be considered a "word", the sequence needs some sort of meaning or use to it.

in addition, i don't feel my citation as incomplete, regarding what i was trying to draw attention to. in the context of the entire explanation of the word, perhaps it could be considered incomplete, but for the purposes i was using it for, it was complete, because only those three words were required to verify the existence of said "word".

as you stated, however, this is "nitpicky" or what i like to call "pedantic". however, in my opinion, your original post that began this thread is as well
:eek:

to answer your querry, i used dictionary.com as my reference.

there really isn't a point bantering back and forth on this... i choose to leave this particular topic alone at this point.

Walter Joyce
09-05-2002, 09:24 AM
I choose to dismiss your arguments, assessment of my point, and your departure as meaningless.
:D

regulator
09-05-2002, 09:31 AM
good quote though.

SevenStar
09-12-2002, 11:22 AM
so the chamber should actually promote a continuous forward attack?

gazza99
09-12-2002, 11:49 AM
I agree on the reverse punch, It has been one of the downfalls of the last couple of karate guys Ive sparred with. I think this topic deserves its own thread....start one! It may be more interesting to find a good Karate board though, as most people here will probably agree!

Gary