PDA

View Full Version : Why teach alot about Qi?

gazza99
09-03-2002, 08:00 PM
Let them feel something and ask?

I find that even when teaching the internal arts there is no real need to impart upon the student the existance of Qi, or any real theory in relation to it. Things can be explained in simple terms of "energy", or "power", and of course optimum biomechanics, which are a definate necessity in the Neijia arts Qi or no Qi.

If you teach a student what he should be feeling, or what Qi should be doing for him/her either martialy or for health you risk the persons mind fabricating such results. If they feel certain things happening as a result of the training and ask you about it, perhaps qi is an explination you can offer becuase there is no other.

I bring this up becuase today one of my students said he came to a tai chi session the other week mildly sick and with a sore throat. After a short Qi gong session and some slow form work he left without the sore throat and feeling a million times better. He stressed he'd been doing the qi gong for the past few months only hoping to gain leg strengh, and had never really had the shakes as bad until that day. He also made it clear he didnt believe in Qi, but now he wants to know why his sore throat is gone, why he shook, and why he feels much better. I could not explain, but told him that I am not a doctor, but that ive been told such a result is becuase of Qi flow. I related to him this could simply be good blood flow, and oxygen..ect.. But I have no definitive answer. Does anyone here have any research on why Qi-gong produces such effects?

I'd like to try and explain these positive results from a western medicine perpective, but lack the knowledge to do so, but perhaps the effects of Qigong are not explainable, and thus we come back to the theory of Qi.

Regards,
Gary R.

ddh
09-04-2002, 01:10 AM
You may or may not believe in qi but when a person engages in a good energy practice the kidneys strengthen and hold down what is referred to in traditional chinese medicine as empty heat. A sore throat is one sign of empty heat.

Repulsive Monkey
09-04-2002, 04:33 AM
It wasn't blood flow and oxygen that got rid of his sore throat. With the accompanying information you mention about the shakes it would seem very likely that the pathogens (heat) that caused his sore throat were expelled by circulating the Qi and this expelled the heat causing the soreness. If as already correctly mentioned it was empty heat then the re-calibration of the bodies organ Qi would of strengthened the Yin thus harmonising the yang element or merely just expelling the empty supurfluous heat via the spontaenous shaking. Thats the thing with shaking its a good and bad sign. It usually denotes expellation of sick Qi although sometimes it can just be muscle tremmors, however some people do standing postures and go wow great im actually registering the sick qi moving in me, and always seem to think that shaking is a necessary element. This is not so, as shaking should only occur for a limited amount of time because if you get healthier and your meridians open up the shaking settles and then almost desists, thus rendering the body trully healthy.
Qi does exist and is explained in TCM quite clearly, of course however Qi (in western medicine) does not exist and isn't explained clearly. There is plenty of cross-over but the models of definition to what Qi really is on a more generalised or universal understanding seems to remain a mystery for many.

guohuen
09-04-2002, 08:00 AM
Without the experience of the feeling of chi as it moves, practicing small circulation,grand circulation, golden bell, ect. would be impossible.

jafc
09-04-2002, 04:13 PM
gazza99

Here is the western medical version. Your student had begun to suffer early symptoms of viral infection (pharyngitis - the sore throat and mild sickness). Exercise has been well known to increase the brain's release of endorphins. These chemical are opiod substances made by the body and act like morphine. They were made popular by the "runner's high" phenomenon where runners felt great after a good run. They would explain the relief of his symptoms. The effect lasts a couple of hours. If he had been exposed to the virus (or one similar) his immune system may have kicked in and taken care of the bug.

Did his symptoms recur or not? - would be a good follow-up question.

The TCM explanation is equally valid. There are marked differences in perspective between TCM and TWM (traditional western medicine) but I will not go into it in detail. Suffice it to say that while some deny the existence of "qi", they may approve of the "power of prayer" - same idea different backgrounds.

gazza99
09-04-2002, 07:10 PM
Great thoughts guys! I will definatly ask the follow up question on the symptoms comming back. I see its your first post jafc, welcome!

Gary

LapisCircle
09-05-2002, 02:21 PM
I agree with Gazza on this. Too much misinformation and or practicality is placed on Qi and what it can and can not do. Qi is like a river, if be working hard and with consistant practice, if you make a path for it, the river(qi) will come, and then you will have it and then that would be cool. However without a strong and solid foundation your just as qi-less and ineffective as a warrior as most of these internet word masters.

-LapisCircle

bob10
09-06-2002, 05:40 AM
Isn't there a point here about people teaching or studying TCC for health withouth really knowing "what they are doing"?

I don't mean that in a derogatory sense of crap teachers (though as we all know they are out there!), but in the medical sense.

I've lost count of the people I had in TCC class who would ask for advice on a whole range of ailments, physical and mental. My reply was always "see a doctor". I'm a martial arts teacher, not a health care professional. Sure I have basic first aid but when it comes to fixing bad backs and the like......

There's too much bull about how "doing this will help that". My old teacher did it all the time, "just do the form and the chi will cure you". Funny thing was he was not qualified in either western or eastern medicine.
Alongside that is the question of how much do you know about stretching and the like? Are you training in the best way?

It's weird, but the minute you put on the right clothing and look reasonably good at what you do, it seems people are willing to accept you as an expert in all areas of life. Human nature is interesting huh?

Repulsive Monkey
09-06-2002, 05:59 AM
I concur, its that very same illusion which lays the way for outspoken comments on ideas that rarely are tried and tested, and as ever with some people remain lore rather than law.

ddh
09-12-2002, 07:35 PM
Although it's true that you don't have to know medicine if you practice or teach these arts, many people over the course of years of training get into the medical side of this kind of knowledge. There's a practical issue involved. Most people run into all kinds of problems from bruising to out of wack bones and torn ligaments. It's a natural progression to study at least some of the medical doctrine involved and get some practical training in how to deal with problems that come up. :)