PDA

View Full Version : Study on stretching and soreness

PLCrane
09-04-2002, 04:22 AM
I always suspected this; despite what sifu said. Maybe you guys already know about this.

PLC

--------------------------------------------------

Stretching Does Not Prevent Exercise-Induced Muscle Soreness

By Keith Mulvihill

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) Aug 30 - Contrary to widely held beliefs, stretching before or after exercising does not prevent muscle soreness, according to a report by Australian researchers.

"We found clear evidence that stretching...does not prevent muscle soreness," lead author Rob D. Herbert, from the University of Sidney, told Reuters Health. "There is also quite strong evidence that stretching does not reduce injury risk--although the generality of this finding is unclear," he added.

In the study, Herbert and co-author Michael Gabriel reviewed English language studies published between 1949 and 2000 that investigated the effects of stretching before and after exercise on muscle soreness, risk of injury and athletic performance.

The team found five studies that used control groups in their protocol, according to the report published in the August 31st issue of the British Medical Journal. The studies included a total of 77 subjects.

The authors found that the magnitude of benefit from stretching was small and most athletes probably would not find it worthwhile to use stretching as a means of preventing muscle soreness.

"By pooling the data from five studies we have shown with quite a high degree of certainty that stretching does not decrease soreness," Herbert said.

The researchers note that it might be useful in future studies to investigate whether long-term stretching among athletes reduces the risk of injury.

In an accompanying editorial, Dr. Domhnall MacAuley, from The Queen's University of Belfast in the UK, and Dr. Thomas M. Best, from the University of Wisconsin in Madison, comment that the current findings "are contrary to what many athletes and coaches believe and what is common practice."

However, the editorialists add that "these findings may not be too surprising if we consider the complex mechanical properties of biological soft tissue and their response to cyclic loading." Still, it may "be that research evidence is incorrect and that there is some, as yet unproved benefit."

BMJ 2002;325:468-470.

guohuen
09-04-2002, 07:39 AM
I love to say "Told you so" to people so much I just can't stand it.

scotty1
09-04-2002, 08:06 AM
Well I know that stretching helps me to limber up and get ready for some action! If I'm using the ankle shackles my girl certainly finds it easier to **** wrong forum.

*ahem*

I'm sure stretching has some benefits. It increases your flexibility for sure. OK, so maybe it doesn't decrease your risk of injury or soreness but increased flexibilty alone makes it worth it. Think of all that extra speed. Mmmmmmm......

No-one can tell me it doesn't because my flexibility has increased majorly since I started stretching with my kung fu.

PLCrane
09-04-2002, 10:04 AM
Note that they only looked at the effects of stretching on muscle soreness. The question of whether it prevents injury or not is probably a lot more complex than a simple yes or no can answer. Injuries can occur as a result of too little or too much flexibility. If everything is too tight, you run the risk of tearing something (like a tendon); if everything is too loose and the muscles don't do exactly what they're supposed to do and when they're supposed to do it, some joint may go past its limit and tear something (like a ligament or joint capsule).

Here's the link to the full text article in the British Medical Journal:
http://bmj.com/cgi/content/full/325/7362/468?view=full&pmid=12202327

guohuen
09-04-2002, 11:19 AM
Stretching may not prevent muscle soreness but it has been proven to increase your lifespan.

Former castleva
09-04-2002, 01:37 PM
We had a discussion on this a while ago at:
http://www.martialtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3571

Stretching has certainly helped me...
You know what makes this even funnier is it that it has been used for ages for this issue (I´m not talking about muscle comfort only but especially injury risk decrease) I just picked one new magazine which had an article slightly about this same thing and they stated the opposite,not the first time.
But I respect their ideas.

TigerJaw
09-06-2002, 05:35 AM
I don't think anybody in their right mind would say that stretching is useless. I think that the research was specifically talking about relaxed passive stretching and saying that it doesn't reduce DOMS and doesn't reduce the risk of injury.

i've long thought this to be true and I'm not the only one. I think Thoma Kurz claims that static stretching actually increases the risk of injury beacuse it weakens the muslce for up to an hour later. Don't know where he got the research from, maybe somebody else knows.

At any rate, I think we can all agree that stretching makes you more flexible, it's just the claims that relaxed stretching is a panacea that are called into question.