PDA

View Full Version : Wah Lum techniques?

wtf
09-04-2002, 12:07 PM
Wah Lum member's handbook states there are seven long, eight short, eight hard and twelve soft techiques in their systems.

What does this mean?
What are these techniques?
Do these techniques have names?

For example if you consider the "hard techniques":

If there are eight hard techniques. Combine just the hard techniques of 8 basic kicks and 8 basic punches it will give you a total of more than 8, and I am sure there are more advance techniques to learn.

Please clarify.
Thank you.

Ryan
09-04-2002, 12:10 PM
I suppose your username really suggests you are confused :)

I'm a bit stumped as well, but I'm guessing that they don't mean individual attacks, but rather varieties and sorts. Maybe some Tigers or Mantises or what-have-you? This is the entire style we are talking about, so I'm sure only Sifus know all of these attacks and their names. I'm eager to hear the answer as well.

BeiTangLang
09-04-2002, 12:45 PM
Best to ask your instructor about these as they will vary (slightly) in interpretation amongst different schools.

mantiskilla
09-04-2002, 01:33 PM
:eek:
________
Creampie milf (http://www.****tube.com/categories/467/milf/videos/1)

Tainan Mantis
09-04-2002, 04:53 PM
Many years ago Wang Lang was among a group of masters invited to Shaolin to teach MA. Each of the masters stayed for three years. The monks recorded the kung fu for future posterity.

wtf,
What you have written is supposedly part of that recorded curriculum. It also includes a lot more theory as well as manuscripts for forms and written descriptions of how to use the techniques.

8 Basic punches uses the 2nd rigid/hard technique "to the face straight punch"

Although you can consider the 8 rigid 12 soft to be speific techniques it is also a theory that can be applied to any technique.

Chi Ji Guang also mentions the 8/12 in his famous Ming Dynasty book.
"Rigid is applied before encountering his force,
flexible is applied after."

modern PM has preserved some of Wang Lang's theory, but probably none of his forms. So you will find that there are techniques in the different PM styles that have their roots elsewhere.
Such as Wah Lum having the influence of Tan Tuei.

But 8 Basic kicks is an exercise and not part of any known Tan Tuei curriculum.

SaMantis
09-05-2002, 03:14 PM
Yes, as Tainan Mantis said.

8 basic kicks is a training exercise -- don't know if you've learned it yet, but keeping your leg up through the entire sequence is a whole new lesson in pain (until your muscles adjust to it).

However, all these techniques get illustrated as you progress in the curriculum. Ask your instructor; they're not kept secret! In tests at the temple students are asked what category the moves they've learned fall under: hard, soft, long or short (or any combination of those). It forces them to think about more than just the movements, but also the purpose behind them.