PDA

View Full Version : Rate this school: EastWindTrainingHall in Austin, TX

SanHeChuan
09-04-2002, 12:44 PM
www.eastwindtraininghall.com (http://www.eastwindtraininghall.com/)

Does anyone have any personal experience with this school?
This school looks good on "paper" but I’d like to know more about it?

I'm going to move south to the Austin / San Antonio area within the next two years. Hopefully Austin since there are more options for kung fu, and this school is the leading contender right now. The instructor there was a student with my father under grandmaster ling (or Fred as I’ve always known him), and my fathers is my inspiration for getting into kung fu in the first place. There's a family connection with the school, and my dad has real skill, but I don't know jack about this guy or the school he runs.

The Willow Sword
09-04-2002, 12:55 PM
Reemul is the guy that "kicked my ass" and is from that school.
he posts here on the forum at times. you contact HIM and you will get your answers.

Why not join the merry old Shaolin-do school? since you learned from Andy,,maybe you could learn from the peeps there;)

TWS

Water Dragon
09-04-2002, 12:55 PM
I'm not sure if you're interested in Shuai Chiao. But if so, shoot me a PM. We have some good contacts on the mailing list and I can probably get you in touch with a solid teacher.

The Willow Sword
09-04-2002, 01:09 PM
give you Reemuls email address and phone number but since you are being an a$$ to me,,,,,go find it out on your own....you have a phone right? call em up.

SanHeChuan
09-04-2002, 01:14 PM
Thanks Willow Sword...
And Water Dragon I would be interested in other schools in Austin.

ewallace
09-04-2002, 01:28 PM
I also have a contact number that Master John Wang gave me of a shuai chiao student of his that is teaching commercially. Master Wang is only offering private lessons right now. Let me know if you'd like me to pass it on to you.

ewallace
09-04-2002, 01:29 PM
And you are absolutely correct. Outside of a couple wing tsun schools there is about Zero kung fu in San Antonio.

SanHeChuan
09-04-2002, 01:35 PM
ewallace, sure you can PM me or something, but i'm not moving yet so i'll probably ask again.

And what is up with San Antonio? Austin, Houston, and Dallas all have lots of Kung fu schools. Why not San Antonio? I know of as many teachers here in lubbock as i do in San Antonio.

ewallace
09-04-2002, 01:42 PM
I've always wondered that as well. Probably because there are so dam.n many TKD schools here. :) There are some good schools here that aren't CMA. There is an excellent Kali school that I'm going to start going to as soon as I get the $$. There is also a decent BJJ school, and there are a few really good Kenpo teachers around as well.

Or maybe it's the food. Too much 'Tex-Mex' good for tounge, bad for gas. Gas not make for good gung-fu.

ewallace
09-04-2002, 01:45 PM
Check your P/M.

ewallace
09-04-2002, 01:47 PM
Hmmm....I was born in Lubbock and now I live in San Antonio. There is not much kung fu in either. Maybe it's just me. Word must have gotten out that a bad ass from Golden Mountain in Illinois was coming to town and everyone scattered to surrounding areas to avoid the wrath.

:)

Water Dragon
09-04-2002, 01:49 PM
LOL @ ewallace

SanHeChuan
09-04-2002, 02:02 PM
thanks for the PM/s. Water Dragon what the URL to the shuai Chiao board?

You would think with all those 80's cynthia rothrock movies on Telemundo would stir up more interest in Kung Fu down there

ewallace
09-04-2002, 02:13 PM
You might want to ask Chang Style Novice about Tai Chi People. I think that's the name of the place where he trains at.

Water Dragon
09-04-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by SanHeChuan
thanks for the PM/s. Water Dragon what the URL to the shuai Chiao board?

You would think with all those 80's cynthia rothrock movies on Telemundo would stir up more interest in Kung Fu down there

No URL as it is a private mailing list. If you want, pm me your e-mail address and I'll add you to the list.

GGL
09-04-2002, 05:02 PM
on the website of the East Wind School.. there should be a direct contact email that would prob. be the most efficient way to get good info

course you could alway listen to WD and check out Shuai Chiao (plug plug plug):D

You got John Wang and Dave Picken in Austin.. but depends on what you want or what you have done.. Shuai Chiao isn't really "pretty", but is effective
I don't know if Mr Wang has a website but he is connected to www.combatshuaichiao.com

our URL is shuaichiao.org
Have fun

Greg

Chang Style Novice
09-04-2002, 06:58 PM
Yeah, by all means at least visit us at Tai Chi People (http://www.taichiherb.com.) Shifu Hwang is a former student of John Wang and teaches Ch'ang Tai Chi, which is basically Yang Style with a very heavy shuai chiao influence. He doesn't teach 'real' shuai chiao, because he is so heavily into tai chi. We do work the 13 Naughty Boys and General Ma techniques, but we don't use jackets, just tshirts. He also teaches a couple of external kung fu styles, a southern animal form called "Elephant Fist" and a Shaolin form called "Ambush Kung Fu" which I think is some kind of lohan chuan thing. He's also recently begun adding original Yang style to the tai chi classes.

SanHeChuan
09-04-2002, 08:40 PM
I don't want to contact the school directly because I would only get the side that they wanted to present. I want to get the real perspectives of people who have had contact with the school.

I do have some back ground with San Shou and would definitly be looking into shuai chiao when i get to Austin.

And body else want to sell me their school? I'm going to need recomendations to look at. :p

GGL
09-04-2002, 10:48 PM
I guess if you want he real perspective the try to contact Reemul like Willow said.. I'm sure he would give you a good idea of what is out there

As far as what else is here.. I know Paul Gerald teaches Wing Chun.. I think... a good instructor is a mantis guy at Kung Fu Exchange.. the Sifu is Jeff Hughes and he is a really good guy and knowledgeable about his style.. website http://kungfuexchage.com

I'm sure there are a lot of other styles and other arts (TKD, Kempo, BJJ and such) so please do your research before you make a decision

Happy hunting

Greg

Chang Style Novice
09-05-2002, 06:44 AM
I don't know either Mr. Hughes or Mr. Fogg of the Kungfu exchange, but have heard nothing except positive reports about their skills and characters.

But that mantis torso with human legs logo sure gives me the giggles!

GreyMystik
09-05-2002, 08:38 AM
in my experience (and i looked around town for quite a while), the two folks i can say i would train with if i were going to study here in austin currently are either Dave Pickens (shuai chaio) or Jeff Hughes (tong long). i can't say i checked out every single ma school in town, because i was only looking for a few certain styles, but these two gentlemen impressed me most and seemed to have the "goods".
feel free to PM me for more info