PDA

View Full Version : Weight-training: weights & reps

TaoBoy
09-04-2002, 03:57 PM
Okay. There are a million and one different theories on how best to train weights. And obviously these will vary depending on your goals. I am interested to know how people choose/increase the weight being used for a set. And how many reps you do per set? Basically, explain how you would approach a set and why.

Example: I've recently started with a personal trainer and he will use a lght weight to warm-up and then goes straight to the max weight I can lift over 10 reps. Killer workout - and from the results of others he has trained it looks mighty effective.

Your contribution please...

ged
09-04-2002, 04:35 PM
ive been doing my first set at a weight i can do around 11 reps with, then add a bit of weight and do 7-9 reps, then add a bit more and do about 5 reps.

my friend likes to do the opposite - start with a heavy weight, do around 6 reps, then take a bit off for the next 3 sets.

we're both making good progress, but it's hard to tell you if that's because of our diet and the fact we're lifting weights, or because of our specific routines.

Leonidas
09-04-2002, 08:18 PM
2 or 3 sets of 8-10 reps as heavy as possible. My chest got huge working out like that. Also doesn't hurt that i'm short and stocky as hell. I'm **** near a midge. :D

Oh yea, i forgot to mention that if you go as heavy as possible you shouldn't be able to do more than 8 reps. Completing a 9th or 10th rep is just you really pushing yourself.

TaoBoy
09-04-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Leonidas
Oh yea, i forgot to mention that if you go as heavy as possible you shouldn't be able to do more than 8 reps. Completing a 9th or 10th rep is just you really pushing yourself. [/B]

When I've had the trainer with me - I've been able to hit 10 reps (with his assistance). When I train alone, I'm really pushing to get to 8 reps.

It's a four day program:
- chest & biceps
- shoulders & hamstrings
- back
- triceps & quads/calves

(Abdominals to end every session.)

I'm sore, very sore. :)

SevenStar
09-04-2002, 11:14 PM
As far as weight, I do it the way your trainer does - two warm up sets and straight to the heavy weight.

My split is different though. I work muscles that perform similar functions together

day 1: chest, triceps and shoulders
day 2: back, biceps
day 3: legs

day 4 is cardio, but the majority of my cardio comes from 2 judo classes and 4 bjj classes.

I'm curious...why did he make your split the way that he did?

TaoBoy
09-05-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
I'm curious...why did he make your split the way that he did?

I don't know. It's something I plan to ask. It seems a little different to other programs I have seen. I've only been doing it for 2 weeks so it's hard to measure results. As I said previously, I've seen what some other guys/girls have achieved and it is amazing.

greyseal
09-06-2002, 11:23 AM
The main hinge is what you said before: What is you goal?
Lose weight? Build Mass? Tone what you already have?
Training more than three times a week I think is a bad idea, unless you are one of those genetically gifted individuals that just keeps growing. Most of us aren't like that, and need sufficient recovery/recuperation time so that the muscles can grow/heal.
There is the Heavy Duty and other HIT programs that stress using only heavy weights with one or two sets, and that is very stressful to the body. THere are people that do tons of sets and reps also, and pretty much everything in between. What's best for you? Experiment and keep a log so that you can see what you've done and can see how a program has helped or hurt you.
DOing too much can be detrimental and can actually cause you to grow 'weaker.'

If you keep a training log, you'll be able to see when you improve and what you did to improve.
Here is what I go by: IF you can do ten-twelve reps using a given weight, then move up in weight. You should be able to do at least 6 reps using the new weight.
To help with that, I suggest buying fractional plates; those are plates that vary in weight, like 1 pound, two and a half pounds, etc. Moving up ten pounds in weight is a lot. With the fractional plates, you can moe up a little slower, and be sure that you are doing things properly, i.e. executing the motions properly, and not sloppily. I always try to do more than I did the last time, be it more weight, or 1 more rep than the last time.
I hope that helped.:D

IronFist
09-06-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Leonidas
Oh yea, i forgot to mention that if you go as heavy as possible you shouldn't be able to do more than 8 reps. Completing a 9th or 10th rep is just you really pushing yourself.

Nah dude, heavy as possible is when you can't do more than 1 rep. Haha. :D

IronFist