PDA

View Full Version : Is This True?

Serpent
09-04-2002, 09:06 PM
From Ultimate Fighter on the Street/Reality Forum:
No one is claiming Royce tapped. He was on the verge of passing out. There is no way he could have escaped. Yoshida was past Royce's guard and in a full mount. He had Royce pinned and choked. If the ref had ledt it to go on 10 seconds longer, Royce would have been carried out.

He lost clean. Only an idiot would claim that the fight was a 'no-contest' when Royce was clearly in no position to escape and being choked. The early ref stoppage is not Yoshidas fault, but it does not change the result. The appeal has been rejected by Pride. Yoshidas victory will stand, as it should.

So, is that really the official decision?

dre
09-04-2002, 09:10 PM
People are still arguing over it, Pride put out a "No Contest" ruling I belive, but many disagree with that. I've heard all kinds of theories on what actually went on. . . Some say Yoshida was not dominating, others say he was. . .No real concencus.

I think that he just lost - yeah, I know, not a lot of drama to that conclusion, but it's what I got :)

Serpent
09-04-2002, 09:12 PM
For sure, there will be controversy about what actually happened forever more. I just wondered what the official decision was. People were all talking about it being a set-up and Pride raking in the $$$. Just wondering what the verdict was, if any.

Ford Prefect
09-05-2002, 10:07 AM
I dunno. I saw a picture of right before the ref jumped in and Royce was definately in trouble because he was mounted, but he wasn't in trouble from the choke as it wasn't really on.

That's from the pic I saw though. I didn't see the fight, so this = grain of salt. ;)

dezhen2001
09-05-2002, 12:22 PM
wow - could even eventually turn in to a 'martial arts legend' about what happened and who won... Whodathunkit eh ;)

david

MonkeyBoy
09-05-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
wow - could even eventually turn in to a 'martial arts legend' about what happened and who won... Whodathunkit eh ;)

david

All the "Best" arranged fights end like this. Once you have any rules it's not a fight but a game (sport). It becomes a test of who will force the other into submission.

Then it becomes an argument about the nature rule enforcement, the judges need for glasses and the possibility of a technical overturn.

I know it's not practical but take out the rules.

When you do, the true "Best" in fights are in schoolyards, back yards and the streets. They commonly last less than 3 seconds and the winner is easily identified by being either awake or alive.

dezhen2001
09-05-2002, 02:36 PM
i was actually meaning coz a common mma troll argument is our talking of past masters glories... i was taking the michael at how this is turning in to the same :)

david

old jong
09-05-2002, 02:49 PM
My impressions are that Gracie is simply past his prime!...A state awaiting all players in any sports. The Japanese Judo guy is not!...
With the exeption of a short sequence when they were both looking for a knee lock or something,Gracie was completely controled and dominated by his opponent.The guy was very confident and never showed even the beginning of a worrying expression on his face.Gracie showed that a lot during the whole fight.
I doupt we will ever see a rematch.

iron man
09-05-2002, 03:23 PM
Agrue with me if you want but I dont think that judo guy did to much in the fight. Hejust seemed to be holdiing onto Royce's Gi also Royce was in no danger of being choked (watch the second reply with the other camera angle)

plus japanese guy's never win in pride anymore, just look what happened to Sakuraba

SaMantis
09-05-2002, 03:33 PM
I saw the fight ... even from the 1st camera angle it didn't look like Royce was getting choked out. He was neither struggling nor fading away, he looked rather like he was just thinking his way out of that situation.

I'm not a BJJ fan but I learned some judo in college ... if Yoshida had been able to apply a choke Royce would have faded real quick ... in a couple of seconds if both arteries were blocked. From the second camera angle you could see that Royce wasn't being choked, that's the same angle the referee saw and he still called the fight. He coulda just been jumpy, but still ...