PDA

View Full Version : Chinese green tea-benefits?

Former castleva
09-05-2002, 02:47 AM
Does anyone here use it? What do you use it for?
I´m recently have tried a tea called "Qi".I´m aware of well-known health benefits like the prevention of certain types of cancers,but besides that,what do you think about it?

Arhat of Fury
09-05-2002, 10:29 AM
The only thing I have heard about this tea is most likely a wives tale but here goes,
I have heard that it is good to drink after you have eaten a meal because it strips the fat from the food before it has broken it down and then lets it out through urination.

Can anyone confirm or deny?:confused:

AOF

IronFist
09-05-2002, 12:10 PM
a. Stripping the fat from food could be potentially bad. You need fat for certain biological functions.

b. Peeing out globs of fat sounds nasty.

Reminds me of those Fat Trapper pills they used to sell (still sell?). It would trap the fat from food so that your body wouldn't absorb it. It said on the label somewhere that it may change the consistency of your waste... I can just imagine people crapping out globs of undigested fat... yuck.

Former Castlevania, how does the tea taste? j/w.

IronFist

PLCrane
09-05-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Arhat of Fury
The only thing I have heard about this tea is most likely a wives tale but here goes,
I have heard that it is good to drink after you have eaten a meal because it strips the fat from the food before it has broken it down and then lets it out through urination.

Can anyone confirm or deny?:confused:

AOF

Deny. Sounds like bovine fertilizer to me. Fats aren't excreted through the urine.

Regular old green tea contains caffeine, a most popular stimulant, and polyphenols, which have antioxidant properties. Drinking green tea appears to lower your risk of getting cancer.

Ka
09-05-2002, 05:15 PM
Japanese green tea if kept in a airtight container should be no problem after 1 year.But generally since Jap green tea is not dried to same extent as other teas the fresher and sooner you drink it the better.

Chinese Tea have a lot of varieties,all with differing effects/vlaues.Most popular are probaly Oolong and Pu'er.Pu'er from Yunan is said to be a good drink after particularly oily foods.Oolong is a popular cold drink in Japan and most of Asia.
There are many others with countless remedies atributed to them.

To get really into it search green tea you will be amazed at how complex and full on people are about there teas.

Rory
09-05-2002, 05:50 PM
hmm well i know it helps me stay up a night before a big test:D :D :D

TaoBoy
09-05-2002, 05:53 PM
I've only heard of the anti-oxidant and anti-cancer properties. Well, they are the claims. I cannot confirm these.

But it tastes good so what the hey! That Jap stuff with the roasted rice is great.

Former castleva
09-07-2002, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.
Ít´s really quite hard to say how it tastes like,as I can´t really compare it to anything,I´m sorry.
It is made of leaves.

Dreadnaught
09-08-2002, 08:44 AM
I've also heard that green tea with no sugar in it prevents cavaties, that it can be used as an all-purpose cleaning solution and is good to rinse your hair with.

Former castleva
09-13-2002, 09:20 AM
Thanks.

IronFist
09-13-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Former castleva
Thanks for the replies guys.
Ít´s really quite hard to say how it tastes like,as I can´t really compare it to anything,I´m sorry.
It is made of leaves.

Oops, when I said "how does it taste" I meant "does it taste good or not?" :) I agree, it's very hard to describe the taste.

Are you using an international keyboard? I see the accent over the "I" when you write "Ít"? :D At the foreign language lab at my university if I type too quickly sometimes certain vowels get accents over them.

But for my home computer, if I want a non-english letter I have to do alt+the numbers. Like a ß is alt+0223.

IronFist

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-13-2002, 02:26 PM
it doesn't prevent hodgekins!

inic ... you don't even have to use a strainer. i just throw in a little in the kettle and boil the sh!t out of it with only a little bit of water. i let it sit for about 5 minutes and then add a kettles worth of water and boil again. i always leave about 2 cups worth at the bottom of the kettle and add water as needed all day long. i generally make about 5 pots and it hardly gets any weaker at all. when you start getting low you might get a couple stray leaves in your tea, but it's not that bad. i do it this way because sifu gets it from china and it just makes sense not to waste it considering how much of it i drink.

jun_erh
09-13-2002, 02:55 PM
the important thing is to get it in Chinatown. I get mine, special gunpowder, for 1.10. The exact same box goes for 2.50 the other side of town. I actually saw it online for like 13.99!!! I go for the strainer. But I'd stay away from those vitamins and sea otter antler and stuff.

Former castleva
09-14-2002, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the replies.
Taste,it´s allright.

"Are you using an international keyboard? I see the accent over the "I" when you write "Ít"? At the foreign language lab at my university if I type too quickly sometimes certain vowels get accents over them."
:) Well I think this is scandinavian keyboard as it has couple of such letters included in my language (ä ö)
That accent thing must have got there by accident,it should just read "It" or "it",I may get it for writing wrong.
Thanks for asking.

IronFist
09-14-2002, 03:00 PM
Do they make you guys learn English in school over there? From what grade? Did you think it was hard compared with Finnish? I've heard Finnish is pretty difficult... you guys have like 14 noun cases or something!

Sorry, I think languages are interesting so I thought I'd ask :)

IronFist

Former castleva
09-15-2002, 06:19 AM
No need to feel sorry,tekken.
I think it must be the major language (english) learned and appreciated besides one´s natural one.
You could say it´s hard,one may at times hear finnish people mentioning how they feel sorry for foreigners learning finnish.:)
What,I believe,deserves attention is that you have to modify certain words to a point when it comes to different situations and sentences (quite hard to explain)
But then again many go like "cheeeesy..." when it comes to chinese as an example,harder it gets.
Yes,languages-interesting.

IronFist
09-16-2002, 09:10 AM
No need to feel sorry,tekken.

At first I was like, "tekken?" Then I though "oh! tekken means ironfist." Yeah :D

What,I believe,deserves attention is that you have to modify certain words to a point when it comes to different situations and sentences (quite hard to explain)

That's what I meant by "noun cases." That's what it's called in English (changing the word for different situations). And if you change it, it's called "declining a noun." But the only people that know that it's called that are language students :)

I have a book at home that talks about like 100 different languages or something and it gives an example of all the noun cases in Finnish. I thought "wow that looks hard."

Hey, one more question. Did you guys learn anything about the history of your language? I've heard that Finnish is one of the few languages that cannot be traced back to any other language. In other words, it has nothing in common with other languages.

For example, take the word "night."
In German, it's "Nacht"
In Spanish, it's "noche"
In Greek, it's "nux"
In Italian, it's "notte"
In Sanskrit, it's "nakt"
----kind of all the same----
But in Finnish, it's "yö"

That's an example I just pulled from a paper I wrote on Sanskrit a few years ago.

Anyway, this is long now, so did they ever tell you guys "Finnish comes from _______?" Just curious.

IronFist

looking_up
09-16-2002, 11:28 AM
Most high quality green tea is enjoyed with water that has been boiled and allowed to cool down a bit. I'm lazy, so I just heat the water up until it barely steams. You get a smoother tea that way.

And good green tea should be green or greenish yellow. If it is
brown, it is too old, or low quality, or the water was too hot.

guohuen
09-16-2002, 11:50 AM
To continue this highjack....

I can't remember any examples, but I read an interesting article that showed similarities between english and hakka.

guohuen
09-16-2002, 11:53 AM
Oh yeah, and green pedal jasmine tea from Fu Zhou is very very good.:p

Former castleva
09-16-2002, 12:56 PM
Thank you for your input and time.

Ironfist,sorry for letting you wait,I was not prepared to continue on this.
"That's what I meant by "noun cases." That's what it's called in English (changing the word for different situations). And if you change it, it's called "declining a noun." But the only people that know that it's called that are language students
"
I had to ignore that and examine other questions for as a non-language student,did not know what you meant.:)

"Hey, one more question. Did you guys learn anything about the history of your language? I've heard that Finnish is one of the few languages that cannot be traced back to any other language. In other words, it has nothing in common with other languages.
"
No,I don´t think we did,at least not in detail.
Maybe it´s for finnish school teachers and such may take it for granted like any other finnish and does not feel need to share it with kids (if does even have training for such)
They do teach finnish as one of basic studies besides math and all the others as there ae plenty of things to learn about it to go further.
It may be unique,as it is my natural language I don´t think of it as special generally.
One note that I found took me down though,that is that KOREAN and finnish,along with couple of other not that interesting languages are somewhat related.There is a smooth linguistical (spelling?) for that.I think it has something to do with the structure of written language (this is a bit too much for my vocabulary to explain,I might check that out later)
That was extremely shocking to me as I am personally into asian languages,besides asian MA of course.
And korean is one of my major interests.

When it comes to where the roots of finnish are set etc.
I can´t say that I´d know too much but if it helps you at all I can at least tell that in finnish there are these small off-shoots/styles besides normal finnish which I´d call "village finnish".
In different parts of country there are different expressions of same language which vary from small spelling habits to slightly confusing choises of words.
A bit like in chinese,where there are different styles which may differ so much one can´t understand a thing of another.
Luckily it is not that radical in finnish.

In older finnish there are some words taken and then modified from russian,and also some from swedish&maybe some very tiny things from english,modified,of course.
There are words which I have no idea of unless I pick a certain book to check them out (but not in basic finnish)

If you wish to learn some "survival" finnish or more,drop me an e-mail to phoenixeye73@hotmail.com and we´ll see what we can do.

:)

IronFist
09-16-2002, 06:08 PM
Now that you mention it, I've heard of the Finnish and Korean similarities before. I don't know what they are, I've just heard about it.

I've tried to study Korean a few times, but until recently there were no good books or programs to learn it from. Now that there are good books I have no time!

Anyway, if you are interested, I recommend these Korean textbooks:

Elementary Korean (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0804820791/qid=1032224585/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_2/102-3543860-5953732?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)
Integrated Korean: Beginning Level 1 Textbook (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0824823427/qid=1032224585/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/102-3543860-5953732?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

These two are very thourough, clear, and teach it the way it's spoken. The majority of books out there teach older, more formal Korean that will get you funny looks if you speak it that way.

Most of the other Korean books out there are terrible. Avoid the following. I've owned all of these and they are awful:

Colloquial Korean
Teach Yourself Korean
Mastering Korean: Hear it, Speak it, Read it, Write it (the big one with like 12 tapes or something)
Pimsleur Korean (Pimsleur's stuff is normally exceptional, but the Korean course is lacking)

I want to learn Japanese and Korean. I used to be very good at Japanese, but I slacked off when I came to college. Now, I can't stay commited to one long enough to make decent progress. How does the saying go? "He who chases two rabbits, catches neither."

IronFist

Serpent
09-16-2002, 08:28 PM
As far as I know, Finnish shares linguistic roots with Hungary and a small region of Spain and no where else in the world. It's unique like that. Or weird, depending how you look at it. I'm dredging this up from the deep recesses of my fevered memory, however, so it might not be quite right.

Anyway, it's certainly not Germanic or Slavic like the rest of Europe.

IronFist
09-16-2002, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by inic
i personally love pimsleur. i first started learning jap from that.

Rock on. Did you complete all three levels? I think there's even a smaller, 4th level for Japanese. I know there is one for German, but I'm not sure about Japanese. I got to about lesson 20 in Pimsleur Japanese 2 and then I moved in to freshman year at college where I became a complete slacker. I brought the first one back with me this year (senior year) but I'm pretty busy and I'm still a slacker so I haven't really started it yet.

i'll be doing french next year, and ill start off with pimsleur cds in the summer so i can get a head start. I'm taking japanese I right now and its just sooo easy for me. theres a couple korean girls/guys in the class and they seem to pick it up pretty quick.

Dude, Pimsleur is such good way to get a head start in foreign language classes. Shhh, don't tell people. Let me know how the French one goes. I have no interest in French, I'm just curious.

I heard Pimsleur Russian even does a good job explaining all the noun declensions and stuff... or something like that.

I still maintain that Pimsleur Korean blows ass.

i'm hoping to become a translater ( like the ones you see at business meetings or UN meetings, in the booths, talking on the mics) but have no clue on how to get there....

That'd be cool.

So what languages are you studying now and how proficient are you?

Geez someone needs to kick me in the ****ing head to motivate me to start learning languages again. If I hadn't slacked off when I was in high school I could be freaking fluent in 2 or 3 others by now.

DAAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNNNNN!

IronFist

inic
09-17-2002, 05:06 AM
right now just taking jap.
i never listend to pimsluer korean so i dont know how it is.
i'm not really fluent in anything right now, hopefully in 2-3 years, ill be in french/japanese/mandarin
but right now i still know how to say "thank you, how are you, sorry, excuse me, your welcome, see you later, hey!" in at least 10 languages... but thats nothing special, but its something to impress the girls =)

FatherDog
09-17-2002, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Serpent
As far as I know, Finnish shares linguistic roots with Hungary and a small region of Spain and no where else in the world.

Would that be the Basque region of Spain?

I know the Basque language is another one of those languages that puzzles linguists because of its lack of relation to all the ones around it... I'd never heard that it was related to Finnish, though.

Former castleva
09-17-2002, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone.
I never heard about that spain-finnish connection,hungary sounds slightly more familiar.
I have tried both japanese and chinese on a very small scale.
There was a time when I got hooked to japanese and I ordered a couple of books (only another one,the random word-oriented one made it´s way here...rest is history)
And one wordbook on chinese and finnish,that´s almost as fun...
Interest is still there and burning,but I´ve got a pretty strong idea that I (or anybody interested) should find a language sifu to learn well.That is impossible in my current location and such "exotic" languages are not appreciated here anyway I guess.
I´ve checked websites out quickly in the past too,but there is this one online course which claims to be awesome (not literarly,but to the direction)
www.unforgetablelanguages.com There is a small demonstration which will let you learn some words if you´re interested. http://www.unforgetablelanguages.com/frames_a20.html

We shall better be kicking each other in the head a couple of times,it takes time.

I wonder if you mean kind of chinese oriented korean by old korean?
You probably know already that korean of old used chinese characters and stuff and one day this one chap decided to create own language for korean to get the feeling of korean for them and to be used by anyone.
It gives you the small idea that korean would be somewhat easier but then again I´ve been stomped on at times when I´ve said so.

IronFist
09-17-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Former castleva
I wonder if you mean kind of chinese oriented korean by old korean?

No, not that old of Korean. I just meant more formal Korean like how it was spoken a few decades ago. Kind of like if you were learning English and you walked up to some guy in America and said "Well hello there, kind sir." The guy would be like "what the hell?" Well, that was a bad example but hopefully it made sense.

You probably know already that korean of old used chinese characters and stuff and one day this one chap decided to create own language for korean to get the feeling of korean for them and to be used by anyone.

Yup. Did you know that South Korea has the highest literacy rate of any country in the world? (it's like 99 or 100%, depending on the source) Some say it's due to it's simple and logical writing system.

It gives you the small idea that korean would be somewhat easier but then again I´ve been stomped on at times when I´ve said so.

Korean is hard as hell. Like... gramatically it makes sense because it's pretty similar to Japanese, but all those friggin' vowels sound the same. And, speakers tend to slur their words together (not that it's bad, that's just how the language is spoken). And, for the life of me, I cannot tell the difference between those different versions of the same consonant! Like, "k," "kk," "k'," or however you want to romanize them. Same thing with t's... ta... tta... t'a... they say one is hard, one is soft, and one is aspirated, but it must be the fact that I was raised on English that I can't tell a difference.

[/complain]

Oh yeah, I checked my paper. The languages I've read about that bare no reseblence to anything else (or each other) are Basque, Finnish, Hungarian, and Turkish.

IronFist

fa_jing
09-17-2002, 01:46 PM
I recently have begun drinking Kee-Mun black Chinese tea. It's very different from Oolong or Jasmine, at least in flavor. Does anyone know anything about this tea?

inic
09-17-2002, 05:06 PM
Iron, how you feel about not studying languages continously is how i feel about procrastinating college. i turned 19 soon after graduating hs. went to army for 1 year. sat on my ass for 1 year, and here i am at 21 and on my freshman year..... talk about wanting to kick my own ass.

rubthebuddha
09-17-2002, 11:19 PM
inic,

save that ass kicking for those people that go to college on mommy and daddy's coin and don't learn a thing, cruise through and make nothing of themselves, and with no thanks for the work mom and dad did to put them through four years of college.

at least you're going to appreciate what you're doing now.

chen zhen
07-16-2003, 04:13 AM
Finnish has linguistic roots to a certain rare language spoken in northern india, and also to Estonian.
Basque is related to a language spoken by a tribe in the Causcasus mountains, and also to Albanian, as far as i know.
Just to clear some things up.:cool:

Former castleva
07-16-2003, 04:21 AM
Never heard about links to India...

How did you dig this thread up? :p
What a great discovery of yours,a long extinct fossilized thread.

chen zhen
07-16-2003, 05:48 AM
is it old..?:confused:
i was looking in "who's online", and saw u reading it.. so I figured i'd check it out.:rolleyes:

Finnish both have roots to the mongolian-like languages spoken by the old hunter-gatherer peoples living in north-north eastern parts of east russia. (they are like eskimos, in ways. they are believed to have wandered from those lands to the west, into the Kola-Peninsula. that's why the old finnish peoples where hunters/gatherers as well.), and to northern Indian languages. I can dig up sum info.

Golden Arms
07-16-2003, 01:11 PM
Just to get back on track here, two things

1) Fat DOES come out in your urine...In fact, if a person eats something like bacon and then drink a lot of tea or water, you can see it on top just like the fat on top of chicken soup.

2)Tea is also great for cooling the body if it is hot..and is popular in parts of africa for this reason as well by desert roaming people.

3)Not for sure about green tea, but Oolong was also shown to raise bone density if you drink at least 5 cups a day over long periods of time and also to help your body shed fat.

All that can be found with research and probably through google, so dont take my word for it :)

yuanfen
07-17-2003, 12:53 PM
Chen Zen is correct.

PLCrane
07-18-2003, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by Golden Arms
Just to get back on track here, two things

1) Fat DOES come out in your urine...In fact, if a person eats something like bacon and then drink a lot of tea or water, you can see it on top just like the fat on top of chicken soup.

Fat in the urine is a sign of kidney problems.

http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/diseasemanagement/nephrology/proteinuria/proteinuria1.pdf
Most patients with proteinuria have no signs or symptoms from the proteinuria. In states of heavy (nephrotic range) proteinuria exceeding 3 g daily, the patient might report foamy urine and might demonstrate edema. The foamy urine is due to increased lipid in the urine, which alters the surface tension of the urine. Lipiduria is caused by the filtration of lipoproteins across the damaged glomerular barrier. On urine microscopy lipiduria might appear as free fat, or as fat droplets in tubular cells or casts where they are referred to as oval fat bodies or fatty casts respectively. Edema, which frequently accompanies nephrotic range proteinuria, is caused by reduction of plasma oncotic pressure due to reduced plasma albumin. Hypoalbuminemia is the result of increased glomerular losses and defective synthesis of albumin. At times the hypoalbuminemia and loss in plasma oncotic pressure produce true intravascular volume depletion resulting in hypotension and pre-renal acute renal failure. The loss of albumin stimulates the liver synthetic activity, which also contributes to increased lipoprotein production and hyperlipidemia.

Golden Arms
07-21-2003, 04:13 PM
My bad...I was referencing some stuff on ketosis..but the context was incorrect. Thanks :)

bodhitree
07-23-2003, 08:07 AM
Hindi is a indoeuropean language.
Aryans were the race that started the Hindu religion.

GeneChing
07-30-2003, 10:28 AM
www.MartialArtsMart.com, our forum sponsors, are now the only company to carry official Shaolin Tea (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/70600.html) in the West. It's a pleasant green loose leaf tea, specially prepared for Shaolin Temple.