PDA

View Full Version : creatine

SevenStar
09-05-2002, 12:17 PM
if you use it, do you use powder, liquid or tablet? what result did you get from each of them (if you have used more than one of the three and can make a comparison)? I've tried powder, but it tastes like various poisons mixed together. I don't trust liquid due to lack of stability, and I just bought some tablets (they had lime and orange flavored, so I can tolerate those more)

PHILBERT
09-05-2002, 02:32 PM
Tablet and powder.

Saw no results.

Mainly because my body, as of right now do to overactive metabolism, I see very little results in working out. Mostly toning, so maybe creatine helped there, I dunno.

Ka
09-05-2002, 05:01 PM
I have used it in powder form.Best used when combined with L-glutamine and some form of glucose with warm water or juice.

I have been to told to cycle into a loading program,with large doses for about 2 weeks leading up to your event /whatever.However this was given to me by a bodybuilder who aim is bulk/buff.Which comes from its capacity to create water retention, and its aid to ATP reserves.(as in helping you work out harder)

My intentions where to use it to help my explosive power(anaerobic) for Rockclimbing.I take about a gram of CM and L-G with glucose about 1 hour before training.I beleive that I have seen improvment in power and recovery.

I think the other guys will have a more indepth veiw.

TaoBoy
09-05-2002, 05:40 PM
I used powder for a short while but found it gave me stomach aches. It had a few too many side-effects for my liking and I didn't see any difference. A lot of people get headaches from it, I have heard.

Here's a great site on creatine - www.absolute-creatine.com.

Ka
09-05-2002, 06:14 PM
Taoboy
Because of its water retention qualities its is important to increase your fliud intake when on CM.I would say this may have lead to the headaches.I would also warn against any of the Amino suplements in tablet form(although I am unsure what amount is in one tablet) as some people's stomach lining has trouble dealing with it.Hence again water is important.

SevenStar
09-05-2002, 08:48 PM
yeah, you're probably right. Also if you're taking creatine, you wanna be careful with caffeine intake.

SevenStar
09-05-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by PHILBERT
Tablet and powder.

Saw no results.

Mainly because my body, as of right now do to overactive metabolism, I see very little results in working out. Mostly toning, so maybe creatine helped there, I dunno.

you're probably an ectomorph. If so, it would take a **** load of food and strength training to see results. Even then, there's only so much that you can do, mass wise.

guohuen
09-05-2002, 09:29 PM
I quickly lost a lot of girth from my wallet.:eek:

ratman201
09-05-2002, 10:59 PM
I got signigiant gains in muscle endurance but the stuff gave me stomach ache and head aches.

IronFist
09-06-2002, 02:39 PM
SevenStar, it's good that you know about the instability of liquid creatine (creatine serum). I was under the impression that the tablets are harder to digest than the powdered stuff mixed in juice or whatever because your body has to break them down first before it can do anything with them... I'm not sure if this is true or not, however.

As for the stomach aches you guys got, did you do the loading phase? There's really no need to, so perhaps that 30g of creatine per day affected your stomach. I've used it before using only 5g per day with no loading and I never had stomach problems, and I generally have a pretty sensitive stomach.

On the other hand, Optimum Nutrition's Glutamine powder seems to make me sick as hell to my stomach when I take only a small 5g serving. It sucks, becuase I've heard they're a good company, and their products are very cheap (cuz they don't spend a lot on advertising). It also sucks, because I would like to enjoy the benefits of Glutamine, but the freaking hershey squirts it gives me outweigh any possible benefit.

ON's creatine didn't make me sick at all, however. But the fruit punch stuff did not taste good. If I remember correctly it tasted like bubble gum flavor. Eww.

Also keep in mind that they say like 10-20% (?) of people are non-responders to creatine. Dunno the validity of this, either.

Weird, eh?

Stay hydrated.

IronFist

Lung Hu Pai
09-06-2002, 03:50 PM
I had the best results with the effervescent (sp?) powder version of creatine. It tastes like hell but it worked really well without any of the side effects that I got with the regular powder.

Wilson
09-06-2002, 04:01 PM
Its been proven that the loading phase does little in the long run. For example, if 1 loads and another doesn't, you'll be at the same point in 20 days. Now, yes, in 3 days, the one who loads might have more creatine in their system. This is what I've read recently anyway.

When I've used creatine, I loaded for 5 days with 20g and then dropped down to 5g a day to maintain. You have to cycle off of creatine after 6 weeks or so. This is a good idea for any suppliments (other than protein, vitamins)

Its also important to get your creatine from a quality source. I bought the GNC Pro Performance powder (couldn't taste it at all when mixed) and have found it to work the best. Very important to take it with carbs!! Grape juice is considered by many to be the best. I used chocolate milk...not just water. Also, as others have said, make sure to drink a lot of water during the day and stay away from caffine. I would drink a gallon a day.

How did it work. Awesome. I felt more full by increasing the water in the muscles, I increased my endurance during sets (meaning I could hit that extra rep or two), and I DEFINITELY got stronger, a good bit stronger. If you are not into serious training and eating right, don't waste your money though. Everything else has to be done right for you to take advantage of the benefits of creatine. Its not a miracle for bad habits

Sorry for the long post.

09-07-2002, 11:44 AM
I read that the reason some people don't respond to creatine is that their bodies are already very efficient at doing whatever creatine helps us do. I read this in either a running or cycling mag which have a lot of stuff in them about performance enhancing supplements and how to use them - what they do.

A mate of mine takes it for weight training, his doctor that recommended it to him but said he must take a load of water with it - which is what others have said.

Is it any good for endurance events - what does it do exactly ? I've never tried it - the cost put me off.

Martial Joe
09-07-2002, 12:39 PM
Ive never used it, but I know a few football players and wrestlers who did. They used the powder.
I remember one of them saying its not to good to take if you stop working out because alot of the results turn into flab.

Just what I heard...

Wilson
09-07-2002, 01:46 PM
Creatine does nothing for endurance events. It really only helps for explosive movements. So its good for sprinters, football players, weight lifters, etc. As far as running, biking, etc....it won't help you.

Creatine is actually a naturally occuring substance in our bodies to supply energy to our muscles. (this is why you need to cycle off of it because your body will stop making it which is no good).

Creatine does three things: 1) Helps build lean muscle mass, which allows for greater force to be used. 2) Provides energy so duration of exercise or work can be lengthened (like an extra rep or two). 3) Speeds recovery so exercise frequency can be increased.

Hope that helps. I have lots of info and have used creatine a number of times so feel free to ask questions.

Wilson

ratman201
09-07-2002, 09:48 PM
Its possible that the stomach aches were from loading. The head aches, well I could get a head ache from anything so who knows. The benefits com fast though so if it is helpful for you you should know the first couple of days as long as you drink enough water. It dosen't really work if your dehydrated.