PDA

View Full Version : hey guys!

shaun
09-05-2002, 11:40 PM
hey guys, i've just joined the board and i want to start learning a martial art, ans was wondering what you guys thought would be good for self defense on the streats. i've been reading quite a little and i do realise that its the person, not the art that makes a difference. but i want to choose one which will help me be able to fight if there is a need.

i've been reading alot here about wing chun. it seems pretty good. i was also wondering how come it seems that there are so few people into jeet kun do.

so guys..could you please help me out here, i'd like to know your views on jeet kun do vs wing chun vs brazilian juijitsu...

thanks in advance

shaun
09-06-2002, 12:32 AM
come one guys someone help me please...

Martial Joe
09-06-2002, 02:48 AM
I am into Wing Chun and Wrestling.

I like them both alot.They both work and thats why I like them.

On the Bjj Jeet Kune Do and Wing Chun thing...
Im not going to say anything about one vs another.
Just go try them all out and learn whatever one you like the most.

Merryprankster
09-06-2002, 03:47 AM
Shaun, some things to look for:

1. Does the school spar? This should be a commonplace thing that happens after a certain level of ability is reached. Sparring should consist of knocking each other about and has absolutely nothing to do with "point fighting," "only light contact," "our techniques are too deadly to practice full speed." It should be frequent and regular, and use appropriate safety gear.

2. Are the people there using what they are learning in class? Or does it look like a big sloppy mess, even from the advanced students? Even a layman can distinguish between a decent boxer/fighter and a bad one, even if they don't see 100% of what's going on.

3. Does the school spar?

4. Is use of appropriate protective equipment encouraged/demanded for sparring?

5. Does the school spar?

6. Are the students all reasonably intelligent? (You'd be surprised what a difference this makes.)

7. Does the school spar?

8. Do they advertise one strike kill stuff? If so, run away.

9. Does the school spar?

Laknath
09-06-2002, 03:49 AM
Hey dude, I’m new to the board as well, in here I’m just expressing my point of view. You should choose what is best for you.

First of all I must tell you, never engage in a combat until you’re thoroughly confident with a martial art. If not you’ll definitely get frustrated with the art you learned, your teachers and also with your self.

I do not know much about that Brazilian art. As you may know, Wing Chun was founded by a monk called Neg-mui (may not the correct spellings) centuries ago. Since then Wing Chun has been modified and developed further by great martial artists. Unlike other martial arts, Wing Chun is very beautiful to watch and can bring down your opponent with less effort than s/he used to attack you.

Any one knows that Jeet Kun Do is found by the famous super star, Bruce Lee, not much far away. Jeet Kun Do dose not have a proper ending level as Bruce Lee couldn’t finished developing it before his sudden death.

As a trainee of a martial art goes deep in the subject, he develops his own fighting suit for a better performance in a combat. This suit would be a collection of techniques that he is so good at. As far as I know, Jeet Kun Do is already a suit; for Bruce Lee. If you’re on an average height and an aggressive personality, Jeet Kun Do will be fine for you when dealing with a dam desperado. But with a martial artist, it’ll be better to use Wing Chun.

If you could compare a “neutral on guard” (primary defense stance) of Jeet Kun Do and Wing Chun, you can see in Jeet Kun Do stance, there are areas that your opponent can take advantage of. If you’re interested only in fighting, I think Sanda will also a better option. Sanda is a very successful modern fighting art which is similar to Jeet Kun Do than Wing Chun.
I have studied Jeet Kun Do, Wing Chun and little of Sanda, for me the most likely art is Wing Chun.

Wish you a bright future.:cool:

Boffo
09-06-2002, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
Shaun, some things to look for:

Great stuff Merry Prankster. Here are my additions:

1. Do they spar?

2. Do they have punching bags and other heavy striking targets? Striking just at empty air doesn't prepare you well for when you actually get into a fight. Nothing is worse than hitting someone with a punch and breaking your fingers and knuckles because you've never hit anything before.

3. Do they spar?

4. Do they teach a range of techniques? Do they teach both striking and groundfighting? Both are useful skills to have.

5. Do they spar?

6. Do they tell you that it will take some time to be competant? If they say that they can make you a kick-butt stomping machine in six months, then run away.

7. Do they spar?

8. Do they tell you how theirs is the only effective self-defense style in the city/state/country/world? Then run away. If they don't respect the rest of the martial arts world, thats because they have never played or crosstrained with someone else, leaving gaps in their knowledge that can easily be abused.

Keep in mind that many martial artists believe their style is the best. That is why they do their style. Nothing wrong with them claiming that theirs is the best, but if they make this claim then ask how many other styles they have practiced. If they say none, then these people are uninformed idiots who should be left. If they list several, then you can feel somewhat confident that they actually have at least tried other ideas before making their decision on their preferences.

9. Do they spar?

10. When they spar, do they play it safe? Do they make sure that tempers are kept even and that the sparring folks don't go ballistic on each other. Are tapouts honored? Injuries will happen periodically, but uncontrolled sparring never a good thing.

Ryan
09-06-2002, 01:35 PM
Wing Chun is a great art to learn...but not good long-range at all. If you want high-flying kicking and what-not, Northern Kung Fu is the way to go. Just about any style can be affective if the student is good enough.

Also, if your school doesn't spar, make sure they have a valid reason why. Our school hasn't sparred in quite sometime because of too many injuries. From what I hear, a real fight broke out during the spar because they lost their cool. That's when Sifu put his foot down and decided to stop sparring completely for a few months. We will slowly start again, and have been told to purchase some equipment.

Wilson
09-06-2002, 04:15 PM
Wing Chun is a great art to learn...but not good long-range at all.

Hmmmm......don't know about that. You might be thinking from a sport point of view of squaring off and fighting from there.

Anyway, another good point to look at is the instructor. If you really want to learn something effective, ask a little about the instructor's background. I've trained under 3 instructors. One was a bouncer at a punk club in NYC and world ranked in full contact Kali and he was under Dan Inosanto. The second was a police officer in center city Philly and been in martial arts all his life as well as training champion Muay Thai fighters. The 3rd was in enough fights as a youngster to now have pins in his head.

They all actually had more credentials than this short list. What all this means is that they've "walked the walk" so to speak. They just didn't open a shop up at the local strip mall.

Merryprankster
09-06-2002, 04:31 PM
Boffo, great points! I forgot how important pads and bags are--you really can't get your reps in without them, and you MUST have a heavy bag or wall bag to really learn how to get power in your shots, optimum distancing, etc.

Wilson
09-06-2002, 04:33 PM
I agree100% with MerryPrankster. Too much kicking and punching in the air these days. While it has its place, you need to develop the power but hitting.....and hitting hard.

shaun
09-06-2002, 09:12 PM
hey guys, thanks for all the help you've been giving me..

i was wondering, can you guys explain more on the short range thing? i read under the wing chun forum that its the best for short range. what does it mean and is that a disadvantage? i mean, does lack of long range create a disadvantage to the fighter?

shaun
09-06-2002, 09:12 PM
hey guys, thanks for all the help you've been giving me..

i was wondering, can you guys explain more on the short range thing? i read under the wing chun forum that its the best for short range. what does it mean and is that a disadvantage? i mean, does lack of long range create a disadvantage to the fighter?

Former castleva
09-07-2002, 04:21 AM
Hi,shaun.
All I can add to the pack is that you might want to search the net,different forums,books and collect all information you can.
I think it could also be beneficial for you to honestly ask yourself "What do I want from an art?"
Your own final idea is what depends,listening to others is good of course.

Martial Joe
09-07-2002, 07:43 AM
This is the way I feel about the close/long range deal with Wing Chun.

Its not bad for deffence for long range but I know its at its best when your in close.Thats what the style was designed for.

For me I work more on my offence then anything.
I am a guy who likes to get right up against the person.
Probably because I am a wrestler. Agressive aswell.

It seems the agressive guys like to fight close range and the guys who like to take their time fight long range.

Thats another good point because if you are a person who likes one or the other you should probably practice one or the other for the most part.

It seems like a good idea to be familiar with both though.
You never know what the hell kinda sittuation you may end up in.

shaun
09-07-2002, 07:51 AM
hey man,
do you think that there is a disadvantage for focusing mainly on short range?oh, btw Former castleva, what i want is actually to learn how to fight on the street, and not really being particular about fancy moves and stuff. i just wanna know how to take care of myself and "take care of others" others..hehe

Wilson
09-07-2002, 07:51 AM
Most people think of long range as outside of punching and kicking range. And short range as already in contact. As far as I'm concerned, long range fighting is sport. Its more dancing away from the opponent. I could care less about that. Let the opponent dance at long range all he wants. When he steps in, hit him. That's "close" range. You can't actually fight at long range. That's prefight. In order to hit someone, guess what, you have to be within a arm or leg length. On the street, don't dance and don't let the opponent within hitting range. If he steps into my range, that's a threat. I'll back up once, if he keeps coming into range, whoops....he just got hit.

Martial Joe
09-07-2002, 08:37 AM
Shaun~No I dont think its a disadvantage because in order to get close you will probably start in long range.
Im sayin you will be familiar with long range due to the fact you have to work your way to get to a shorter range.

I just think training when you start at long range it will be good training.(closing the gap)

No_Know
09-07-2002, 04:52 PM
If you'd like to protect yourself on the street and others, then think of how you would get attacked there and come up with solutions.

It's a step at a time.

Rig something to test your resolutions or or and have someone do the attack and try your soltion. Make adjustments as to which you see and as to which you understand.

Laknath
09-08-2002, 05:36 AM
Yah it’s a completely different scenario in street fighting. Your bravery and aggressiveness is tested more than your techniques. It is secure to strike the enemy out side your punching range, you’ll never know, that guy might be carrying knifes and stuff. So the long range will be very beneficial. But what will be, if it’s a sudden strike to you, trapping you hard and pointing a knife at the throat? That is where the short range comes to play. So practicing both will be efficient. Always pick your martial art style according to your body description to get the maximum performance.
Not only the style, think of the things you can gather and use as weapons. Like a stick, stone, some sand and even your pens & pencils (to strike at the eye, but not advisable). It’s true that it underestimates your martial art, but that’s the way it goes in street fighting. :cool:

LEGEND
09-08-2002, 10:15 PM
Shaun...I'm going to give u the simple answer ever. And yes I teach this now. Geoff Thompson theory...hit hard...hit first AND learn to hit FUCCing hard!!! U have prob. seen clips of real fights...and sometimes an individual can be SUCKER PUNCH into oblivion. My personal opinion of a real fight is 3 second fighting. U will prob. be using strikes in the 1st 3 seconds of a fight. Whether it's punches...knees...elbows...headbutts whatever! If it's more than 3 seconds then u'll prob. end up wrestling the guy! Whether it's standup wrestling or ground fighting. I advise u to learn to hit hard...basic boxing training can teach u this! And based on your size and weight...u can learn some basic standup/grapplingstrikes=muy thai=END the fight with KNEEs, elbows and headbutts or choose to take the fight to the ground=basic wrestling=End the fight with eye gouge, biting an ear off, chokes or strikes. The longer the fight last the more likely that u may get attack by the opponent friend's or u may get hit by friendly fire. GOOD LUCK.

Boffo
09-08-2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by LEGEND
standup/grapplingstrikes=muy thai=END the fight with KNEEs, elbows and headbutts or choose to take the fight to the ground=basic wrestling=End the fight with eye gouge, biting an ear off, chokes or strikes. The longer the fight last the more likely that u may get attack by the opponent friend's or u may get hit by friendly fire. GOOD LUCK.

This is arguably the safe way of fighting. Total brutality. Afterall, isn't it better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6?

Well, that depends... Let me give you another quote:

Is it better to be carried by 6 or judged by 12 and then gang raped in prison by 10?

The problem with eye gouging and biting and crippling strikes is that it can put you in jail. Study martial arts for a three months and if you put an attacker in the hospital, then in the courtroom you are suddenly considered a deadly master of the martial arts by the guy you put away. Suddenly you find yourself in jail, wrapped in a blanket, and losing your butt cheery to an AIDS-ridden guy whose last conjugal visit was just too long ago.

Remember, pepper spray came into existence because rapists and muggers were suing their potential victims for both criminal and civil damages!

Find you what the legal limits in your area when it comes to self defense. In some cases, it is better legally for you to carry a gun and shoot an attacker than beat the crap out of someone with your barehands. Silly? Yes. But it is something you have to account for in self-defense situations.

Because if you don't account for it in your plans for self-defense, it may account for you after the fight.

LEGEND
09-09-2002, 04:45 PM
Hey Boffo...a fellow DC METRO guy!

Shaun...what BOFFO says is true...I forgot to left out...better to run from the law...after hitting the guy with a saw! LOL. Don't stick around after a FIGHT...ball out asap!!!

Here's a flow chart situation I developed!

Verbal Assault.
Establish a 45 degree stance( ala the Fence ).
Make sure u're hands are up near your chin.
This is to throw the right cross OR boxing combo if u DECIDE to.
OR if u got caught off guard u can COVER UP and absorb the blow!
If u launch the offensive aka SUCKER PUNCH! We hope the guy is KO or KNOCK DOWN( if Knock down proceed with kick to the head )...if NOT then depending on YOUR and YOUR OPPONENT SIZE...u can take him to the ground( double leg takedown ) or CLINCH and use elbows/knees/headbutts/eye gouges=hopefully a KO or Knockdown. If u TAKE IT TO THE GROUND...try to stay on your feet...then KICK the opponent in the head! If u end up being on the ground with your opponent...try to get on your feet asap...and KICK the opponent in the head! After the kick...step back and avoid FRIENDLY FIRE and AGGRESSIVE FIRE. Then LEAVE THE AREA ASAP.

Please note this is a very BASIC way of fighting based on someone with LIMITED martial art experience. If u learn an art it will take u maybe 3 months to apply it effectively depending on how fast u CATCH ON! If u do get some training...then u can use the same stragedy except add on the technique u may want to use...for ex: Verbal Assault...jab/cross/hook/cross instead of basic sucker punch...

Regarding Brazill JJ...I love the art...but I have never been in a one on one fight since my high skool days. Most fights are at bars...clubs...sporting events...sometime street with MULTIPLE ATTACKERs and FRIENDLY ATTACKERs. Be aware...and read material from Tony Blauer( he deals with FEAR ) and several others. It helps.

Ryu
09-10-2002, 03:39 PM
"Verbal Assault.
Establish a 45 degree stance( ala the Fence ).
Make sure u're hands are up near your chin.
This is to throw the right cross OR boxing combo if u DECIDE to.
OR if u got caught off guard u can COVER UP and absorb the blow!
If u launch the offensive aka SUCKER PUNCH! We hope the guy is KO or KNOCK DOWN( if Knock down
proceed with kick to the head )...if NOT then depending on YOUR and YOUR OPPONENT SIZE...u can take
him to the ground( double leg takedown ) or CLINCH and use elbows/knees/headbutts/eye gouges=hopefully
a KO or Knockdown. If u TAKE IT TO THE GROUND...try to stay on your feet...then KICK the opponent in
the head! If u end up being on the ground with your opponent...try to get on your feet asap...and KICK the
opponent in the head! After the kick...step back and avoid FRIENDLY FIRE and AGGRESSIVE FIRE. Then
LEAVE THE AREA ASAP. "

The following fighting style and strategy was copyrighted by Ryu a few years back. LEGEND, I urge you not to plagerize my stuff...
:cool: :D

LOL ;)

Ryu

shaun
09-11-2002, 03:38 AM
hey guys, thanks for all the help so far, its been great!

btw how long does it take to get some decent fighting ability in wing chun?

Boffo
09-11-2002, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by shaun
btw how long does it take to get some decent fighting ability in wing chun?

It ultimately depends on you. Contrary to what anyone will tell you, martial arts are platform dependant. That means that the factors involving fighting ability belong mostly to the fighter and less to the martial art.

So... you could be a natural fighter and a quick learner who develops real fighting skills in Wing Chun (or whatever you chose) in less than 12 months. It is rare, but it happens.

You could also be one of those people who just doesn't have the temperament of physical talents to ever be a great fighter. Years of training could make you a wonderful performer of forms and breaking techniques, but lousy in a scrap.

Odds are you are like most of us, right in the middle. You'll train hard and if you stick with it you'll develop the confidence, fitness, and skills to defend yourself. If you are smart, you'll also look into the laws applying to self-defense in your state or region.

Also, Wing Chun isn't the only style you should consider for self-defense. There are a number of other martial arts styles geared towards self-defense or towards the hard-core sparring you need to develop. The ones I recommend are:

Arnis/Escrima/Kali: The various filipino families of martial arts. They start you with weapons and gradually teach you empty hand. A good fighter can use anything that comes to hand. I've used sticks, chains, notebooks, newspapers, and plastic bus trays to demonstrate my skills. Nearly anything can be used as a weapon, so these styles are useful indeed. Empty- hand Kali (I do Kali so I am not sure about Arnis or Escrima) tends to loosely resemble a mix of Wing Chun and Jiu-Jitsu.

Boxing: Western Boxing is great for developing good punching skills and avoiding or taking punches. Very useful to have in your repetoire.

Jiu-Jitsu: Brazilian or Japanese versions are good. Yes, ground fighting can get you into trouble, but many teachers of Jiu-Jitsu are in law enforcement and teach great stuff on self-defense applicability laws. Plus, all forms of Jiu-Jitsu include some form of strikes and standing joint locks that can be useful under the right conditions.

Judo: Basicaly the sport form of Jiu-Jitsu, but great for groundfighting. Yes, ground fighting can get you into trouble in a real fight (hard surfaces & multiple opponents), but you going to the floor in a fight is something you need to be ready for.

Muay Thai: Actually a sport, but it teaches you to hit hard and take a hit. Focus on low kicks, elbows and knees really gives you an edge too. Krabi-Krabong, the martial arts version, is a good style for self-defense.

Sambo: Russian sport wrestling, similiar to Judo. Martial Arts variants are interesting, but those martial arts variants often come with wacky mysticism attached.

San-Shou: Chinese style that teaches hard strikes like Muay Thai and grappling. Actually a sport but great for self-defense.

Wing Chun/Tsun: Chinese style that teaches good punches and handy low kicks, and the ability to avoid taking hits. There is question about the ranging issues, but a good Wing Chun fighter elbows and punches the long ranged strikes of his opponent.

There are more and everyone has their own opinions. Keep your eyes and mind open to new ideas. Never accept outrageous promises and remember that every style has something valuable to offer.

LEGEND
09-11-2002, 07:37 AM
Shaun...wing chun learning curve is rather...hmmmmmmmm...can be tough. I would suggest u get some boxing experience before u get into wing chun. Wing chun has good concepts and theories. However I feel u need to have full contact experience before u can initial those theories. Wing chun can be technical at times...

Merryprankster
09-12-2002, 03:48 AM
Shaun, if you are looking to develop basic fight skills quickly, I recommend learning to box and joining the local wrestling club. Both are cheap, both are readily available, and it is easy to find decent quality instruction in both.

I have been boxing for about 9 months now, have been sparring for about 5 or 6 months, and I would consider my punching both usable and reasonably powerful. Wrestling will teach you how to grapple standing, and after a similar amount of time spent wrestling, you will be able to handle almost any untrained grappling attack that comes your way.

If you are looking for a specific art, then you will have to do more research, and you may not necessarily develop a set of fighting skills quickly--there are more frauds out there in the MA world than in the boxing and wrestling world. However, Boffo is right in that it is platform dependent--what is YOUR potential vice the potential of the style.

shaun
09-12-2002, 03:49 AM
thats an interesting point that you bring up...can you elaborate more on what you mean by being technical?

oh one more thing guys...what type of temperament of a person suits what type of martial art? like for wing chun, do you need to be aggressive or more on the neutral side?

thanks...

LEGEND
09-12-2002, 08:31 AM
What I mean by technical example would be...boxing...hit first...hit hard...hit a lot...4 punches to remember! Wing chun...chain punch...pak sao...lop sao...bil sao...jut sao...bil jee etc...which one has a faster learning curve??? Also stragedy is different...boxing teaches u to hit and hit hard and MOVE. Wing chun is to blitz inward and trap any limbs so u don't get hit. The problem with wing chun FIGHTERs is they don't usually have enuf full contact experience...so sometimes when they entry/blitz in and get tagged...they FREEZE!!! Then they get hit more and more and eventually KO. Boxers when they get hit they stay compose and continue onward. Wing chun is a good martial art...but u should have some college football experience before u get into the NFL type setting. The PLAYBOOK is harder in wing chun than boxing.

Cyborg
09-15-2002, 12:24 PM
There have been alot of great answers here. As someone who is studying JKD I'll object to the apparent criticism. There are a number of "camps" in JKD and each one does things a little different. Or alot different. Don't ignore it as an option and apply what the others have said about all schools. Do they practice realistically?

No matter what the style, there are 95 McDojos for 5 good schools.

As to the grappling, I find that I can use it to steal the balance of an opponent to hit him, or break a bone if I'm feeling particularly vicious. :D But that took more than 3 months to learn...

As to Wing Chun, of course those on the WC board think it's the best. I just believe it's easier to avoid a strike than it is to trap. Not that trapping isn't very useful sometimes. But why trap when you can hit?

Take everything with a grain of salt and do your own investigation. Good luck.

Martial Joe
09-15-2002, 05:15 PM
I barely ever end up trapping people.

SanSoo Student
09-16-2002, 09:44 PM
Kung Fu SanSoo is in my opinion the most effective reality fighting style. If you want something that doesn't teach you flashy useless stuff than take sansoo.

Merryprankster
09-17-2002, 03:09 AM
Yes, because boxing and wrestling and MT are flashy. I'll remember that the next time I'm bleeding from a cut or bruised up.

Looks like Ralek has a butt brother.

Martial Joe
10-07-2002, 11:08 PM
Yup that one made me laugh.

curtis
10-08-2002, 02:21 AM
shaun

There are many good arts out there, My suggertion to you is LOOK and see whats out there,in your eara, then go to classes and watch. the teacher is the key,not the art.

KEEP AN OPENED MIND and try to learn, watch out there are lots people out there who should not be teaching, but there are lots of good ones too.
You may like *#$% Do. but if its not in your eara,What good is that going to do for you? SEE wwhats in your eara FIRST. AND THEN ASK YOUR QUESTIONS!
GOOD LUCK.
C.A.G.

Mr Punch
10-19-2002, 03:34 AM
Just a wee point on wingchun.

It can be too technical, it can have rather too many light contact, no sparring primadonnas, it can rely too much on fine motor trapping techniques. In those cases, it's typical McDojo territory, but as has already been mentioned the McDojos far outweigh the decent places.

BUT the primary aim of wingchun is to close on your opponent and close him down! Trapping, or lop sau, or huen sao or whatever should only be used to control the body mass if you can't put your fists/palms/elbows into it!

You'll learn how to get hit plenty hard and continue in a good wingchun school, as a my last split lip, bitten tongue, bruised jaw, temple, philtrum and cheek, unusably abused arm, swollen shins, closed throat and broken nose have shown me... :eek: :D

I don't think wingchun is the ultimate, but it's hellafun!!!

shaun
11-13-2002, 04:42 AM
hey guys, thanks again for all the help that you have given me so far...you guys have really been great..

i was just wondering, what body type suits what type of martil art? and for wing chun?

another thing that i was wondering... what is the essence of wing chun. what does it intend to teach? i mean like, for example aikido, it teaches you to use your opponent's strength agaist him. what does wing chun teach?

LEGEND
11-13-2002, 08:20 AM
I think wing chun can be adaptable by alot of people! Wing chun goals is to CRASH into someone and then hit them while controlling their arms! JKD/JUN FAN has a similiar approach however uses different entry techs. than wing chun! Look up "TOMMY CRUTHERs JKD" on YAHOO...he has free vids u can DL and see how HE uses JKD/wing chun principle to HIT while controlling his opponent! I think wing chun principle is INTERCEPTION...the ability to intercept another attack and destroy them while applying forward pressure! The problem is most wing chun/jun fan jkd guys have trouble applying forward pressure. They either crash/jam in too close which doesn't allow them to punch effectively...opponents would clinch and grapple them...or they don't apply forward pressure enuf...too weak on the pak or lop sao...or...they can't intercept or see punches/kickes from opponents. That's why it's a hard style! it's like FENCING!

fsd-girl
11-13-2002, 12:16 PM
Hey everyone,

I am also new to the board and I have just finished reading everyone of the posts in this section...WOW...I saw a lot of stuff that I agree with and alot that I don't.

First of all, you should NEVER get into grappling in a real situation. That is the worst thing you should do, especially if you are of a smaller frame.

Now, about JKD. Laknath wrote that it didn't have a proper ending level because of Bruce Lee's death. He was right. But there is a style out there that does have the proper ending level...Unfortunately, it isn't offered anywhere else than in Ontario and Quebec, Canada for the present time. Anyhow, the web site has a lot of really interesting information and articles that you might be interested in reading. It might give you a better idea of what you might be looking for.

[URL=http://www.fangshendo.com]

As for the other styles, it depends what you are looking for in a system. If you are really interested in pure self defence and you have a choice between JKD and Wing Chun, I would go with JKD for the fact that Wing Chun is very traditionnal. The basic principles of it are the best but it is still very showy.

The best thing you could do would be to TRY different styles...most schools offer trial classes...it's the only way that you can make your choice. Remember that it doesn't really matter what style you do, or what techniques you use, what matters is that you make it work for you.

No_Know
11-14-2002, 08:27 AM
Effectiveness--minimum effort; maximum effect.

Perhaps, some might say.

LEGEND
11-14-2002, 06:33 PM
"First of all, you should NEVER get into grappling in a real situation. That is the worst thing you should do, especially if you are of a smaller frame"

I disagree with this statement from the perspective that u prob. don't have enuf grappling experience. I'm 5ft 7inches and 150lbs. I'm primarily a grappler and have successfully taken bigger and stronger people with EASE in a street fight without getting hurt. There is the style of BJJ and various submission wrestling hybrid that can give u a better understanding. Please enroll. From my perspective...it's better to put someone on the ground where they have no idea how to grapple or trading and seeing if u can out punch/kick/elbow/headbutt/forearm someone bigger and stronger than u! The bigger they are...the harder they hit!

SevenStar
11-14-2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by fsd-girl
Hey everyone,

I am also new to the board and I have just finished reading everyone of the posts in this section...WOW...I saw a lot of stuff that I agree with and alot that I don't.

First of all, you should NEVER get into grappling in a real situation. That is the worst thing you should do, especially if you are of a smaller frame.

Two things:

1. you may not be able to avoid grappling. If you go to the ground, you have to grapple, in order to be able to get back up. Grappling knowledge is invaluable in that situation.

2. grappling includes clinch fighting, which is NOT a bad range to be in in a fight. your throws and takedowns all come from the clinch.

With a smaller frame, it's not the ideal range for you to be in, but you have to train for it if you want your training to be as realistic as possible.

As for the other styles, it depends what you are looking for in a system. If you are really interested in pure self defence and you have a choice between JKD and Wing Chun, I would go with JKD for the fact that Wing Chun is very traditionnal. The basic principles of it are the best but it is still very showy.

Wing chun isn't showy. And being a traditional style means nothing. Judo is a traditional style as are shuai chiao and muay thai and as we all know, those styles are very effective. What's important is the format of training, not the style and whether or not it's "traditional"

The best thing you could do would be to TRY different styles...most schools offer trial classes...it's the only way that you can make your choice. Remember that it doesn't really matter what style you do, or what techniques you use, what matters is that you make it work for you.

Well said. :)

Water Dragon
11-14-2002, 07:01 PM
Take 6 months to one year of Boxing, Muay Thai, or BJJ. Why? They are all good on the street, and the fraud level is completely low. After that, go shop around for a CMA school if you want. Keep an open mind, because a lot of the training IS somewhat different, but keep your common sense too. Do that, and you'll find yourself a GOOD CMA school in a year. Otherwise, just hope you lock into one.

You said that you're a beginner, so you have no idea what to look for. This will teach you, and then you can study whatever you want and judge it's quality.

Oh yeah, make sure they spar.