PDA

View Full Version : Kicking Movement.

S.Teebas
09-06-2002, 07:33 AM
Most WC schools im aware of kick in one movement. ie, not lift the knee first, then kick...right??

But how come in the pictures of yip man doing the CK form, he lifts his knee first then kicks with the pivot??

teazer
09-06-2002, 01:48 PM
It's been a while since I've broken out the video. Was this just for one of the kicks in the form or for all three?

Martial Joe
09-06-2002, 01:53 PM
I try and move my whole leg as I do with my arms.

More power that way.

reneritchie
09-06-2002, 02:16 PM
IME, sets (forms) are not the same as the individual movement. For example, you might see a form in Chum Kiu where you lift the knee then extend the leg. Forms are often compounds, however, and when broken into points you might find an evasion (remove your lower leg if someone's trying to kick it), a barring leg (if you're too slow to counter and have to protect), a knee strike (if you're too close to kick), and the kick(s) proper (which might actually include an occupying stop, a pressing thrust, a snapping whip, etc.) In application, each one is separate. In practice, for ecomics, their sequenced. So, if you should kick, you just kick (no chamber necessary unless you're kicking over an obstacle), if you should knee, you just knee (and maybe follow with a kick if distance increases), etc.

So, when you see any WCK set, IME, you're seeing a lot more than just a kick or punch.

RR

Grendel
09-06-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by reneritchie

So, when you see any WCK set, IME, you're seeing a lot more than just a kick or punch.

Hi Rene,

Good answers.

Originally posted by S. Teebas
But how come in the pictures of yip man doing the CK form, he lifts his knee first then kicks with the pivot??

What does a picture or video of Yip Man prove? Too easy for it to be misinterpreted. From your description, though, it sounds like he's doing the Chum Kiu set as I've been taught for the reasons Rene expounded upon.

Regards,

S.Teebas
09-07-2002, 02:42 AM
What does a picture or video of Yip Man prove?

Its a record of the way he did things. And while true, the fact that alot of things can be misinterpreted...(ie what he's thinking, minor or subtle internal adjustments and structure, focus etc..) We can still get some clues about things from what we see in the gross extrnal movement too. example: soulders down can be easily seen, but the linking inside cant. From this type of picture you can learn that the shoulders are not used in a certain way.

So i think you can learn some things from pictures.

teazer
09-08-2002, 07:44 AM
On watching the video again, out of the 5 kicks he does in CK, it's only the last one that has any kind of separate motion in it. As to why, given what's going on in the form at the time, I'm with Rene on this one.

TjD
09-08-2002, 12:36 PM
any place to find these pictures/video?

teazer
09-09-2002, 05:41 AM
In the US,
'Original Wing Chun' from Steve Lee Swift has all three videos - SLT, CK & wooden dummy as undoctored as you can find them.
813 87-SWIFT
Last I knew his website was being reconstructed.

I saw some of the Yip Man footage on a Leung Ting video, but it was cut into snippets to illustrate different points.
I imagine Samual Kwok still has the distribution rights in the UK.

UltimateFighter
09-09-2002, 10:54 AM
I am interested to know as to how you throw a kick with any power without first chambering the leg (rasing the knee). All the kicks I have learnt thus far in the chum Kiu form involve raising the knee and then thrusting it forward as a 'stamp', with the base of the foot always as the striking surface.

Martial Joe
09-09-2002, 05:34 PM
Just think of a punch with the arm upside down.

Thats how you want to kick.

Doing both simaltaniously.