PDA

View Full Version : Is your art a two-fisted art?

fa_jing
09-06-2002, 07:41 AM
I was shooting the breeze with Waterdragon the other day, and I realized that probably the most basic element of Wing Chun is using both arms, mostly to strike the opponent. Very often, the intent is to throw multiple strikes in rapid succession with both arms, and although the first may not reach the target, it is much more difficult to defend a second and successive shots. Other styles, however, do not have this focus. For instance, any style that faces very side-on will have difficulty in using the rear hand. Other strategies, reflected by Longfist's "Godhand" technique consist of a combo with the *same* hand. Obviously, Western boxing falls into the two-fisted art catagory. So where does your style fit in? Knock'em out with a two-fisted combo, or a single penetrating punch? And why?

Liokault
09-06-2002, 08:23 AM
Yes my art is a 2 fisted art.

When one hand is coming back to guard your face the other hand is moveing stricking.

We practice this alot on pads and stuff.

neptunesfall
09-06-2002, 08:54 AM
depends on which technique i'm using.

can you please explain 'godfist'?

Crimson Phoenix
09-06-2002, 09:00 AM
No, when I train martial arts, I usually only use one hand...really...
:confused:

Okie, here's for the topic: a true two fisted art is one that uses SIMULTANEOUS strikes with two arms, and even two arms and one leg at a time...doing fast combos doesn't count, it's still sequential...

fa_jing
09-06-2002, 09:11 AM
Liokault: Is you withdrawing arm also prepare for an immediate followup strike?

neptunesfall: High vertical punch, when meets with resistance becomes a low inverted punch with hip shifting footwork. All one motion.

Crimson Pheonix: Yes, that is truly a two-fisted art. I guess I was looking for arts that apply left and right punches in extremely rapid succession, one opening up the door for the other.

mantiskilla
09-06-2002, 09:31 AM
fa jing

"Knock'em out with a two-fisted combo, or a single penetrating punch? "

you said two-fisted, and penetrating. thats funny.

:D
________
Herbalaire whip (http://vaporizers.net)

The Willow Sword
09-06-2002, 09:54 AM
Yes.

MRTWS

rogue
09-06-2002, 10:45 AM
Two fisted and two legged! We're also two elbowed and two kneed, only one head butted though, but we're working on that through genetics research we have going on.

Really, we just kind of flow more and use what ever is appropriate.

SevenStar
09-06-2002, 01:38 PM
seeing that godfist technique was awesome. I've got to learn to move like that...

neptunesfall
09-06-2002, 01:56 PM
i'm not really getting it from the description....?
the high vertical punch i get....after that...i'm like 'huh'?

fa_jing
09-06-2002, 02:15 PM
Before the high vertical fist punch is fully extended, you turn your shoulder over and invert the punch so that the thumb is pointing down, and the target changes from high to low. The elbow stays in pretty much the same place, it's the forearm that rotates 180 degrees downward. So you've created a hole in the guys defense and exploit it in one motion. By use of the hips, etc. it is still a very powerful punch.

By comparision, Wing Chun would probably punch high then punch low with the other hand.

Water Dragon
09-06-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by fa_jing

By comparision, Wing Chun would probably punch high then punch low with the other hand.

That's because Wing Chun has no structure :p

Crimson Phoenix
09-06-2002, 02:33 PM
fa_jing, I was pulling your leg a little bit :-)
I guess white crane's canon fists fit your description...

SevenStar
09-06-2002, 02:36 PM
the guy that showed it to us does a lot of silk reeling training. godfist was an application of one of the silk reeling techniques. the style of longfist he studies involves a lot of simultaneous attack techniques.

let's use throws - from a clinch, you are stepping in to sweep your opponents rear leg, but he is too strong from that position for your sweep to have the desired effect. immediately, you swing that same sweeping leg the opposite direction and take his front leg instead. that's similar to what the godfist was.

fa_jing
09-06-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Water Dragon

That's because Wing Chun has no structure :p

OK, you asked for it....

Originally posted by Water Dragon

I felt "clumsy" with you for lack of a better word. You could put too much force on me.

yeah, that's cause we "changed" wing chun, right? :rolleyes:

See you in Grant Park for more Tui Shou

:D :D